SASS Wire Forum

Browing BSS Single Trigger

Flying W Ramrod

Alright BSS Smiths

Intermittent.

First barrel fires. Nothing on second.

When it happens, if I open then close, I get "click, bang".

So, when it happened, here at the home range, I stopped, removed the butt stock, and looked.

The right hammer has tripped, i.e. the rear lifted and the hammer in the discharged position.

The left hammer is still cocked, the lifting tab is under the hammer release but it won't lift.

The tab slides easily under the release after the right hammer has tripped, but the trigger is not able to lift the tab and releasing the hammer lever.

Help. Getting frustrated.

Thanks

It could be a couple of things but I will tell you what I think it is.  BSS's have a couple of quirks that most people never notice or have them happen to them.  I shoot BP so I am getting the gun off my shoulder so I can give it a good shuck as quickly as possible.  What can happen is that if you do not push the top lever all the way to the right or if your thumb slips off the lever before the gun is fully open the little rod that pushes the sear reset pendelum to the rear does not push the pendelum far enough to the rear.  Make sure you are pushing the top lever fully open and make sure you do not let go of it before the barrels are pretty much fully down.  What I finally did to suit my shooting style was make a reset rod that was a few thousands longer than the stock one so I have more flexibility in pushing the top lever.

If you trap the trigger back when firing the first barrel, that is, if you hold the trigger all the way back with your trigger finger, sometimes the second barrel will not fire.

"Pop" and release the trigger quickly.  See if that helps.

Otherwise, if that makes no difference, take off the buttstock and spray the action with brake cleaner to make sure the action is clean.

Beyond those two things, I got nothing else.  Good luck.

I am not a gunsmith, but I have 2 BSS, and had to retrain myself on trigger technique after shooting SKBs for years.

Larsen E Pettifogger is on the money.  Couldn't have said it better my self.

Goatneck

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It could be a couple of things but I will tell you what I think it is.  BSS's have a couple of quirks that most people never notice or have them happen to them.  I shoot BP so I am getting the gun off my shoulder so I can give it a good shuck as quickly as possible.  What can happen is that if you do not push the top lever all the way to the right or if your thumb slips off the lever before the gun is fully open the little rod that pushes the sear reset pendelum to the rear does not push the pendelum far enough to the rear.  Make sure you are pushing the top lever fully open and make sure you do not let go of it before the barrels are pretty much fully down.  What I finally did to suit my shooting style was make a reset rod that was a few thousands longer than the stock one so I have more flexibility in pushing the top lever.

+1

one other quirk with the BSS,,,, if you can't get it to open, get your fat finger off the trigger completely,,, I learned that the hard way, cost me close to $200 for work I didn't need, not to mention messed up matches...    

another thing, don't be afraid to ask here on the wire about anything!!  that wud have saved me much angst and money!

Archived