SASS Wire Forum

Wish me luck!

Dorado

Got a job interview tomorrow. For an office job! If I land it then it'll be the first job I've had in a decade that comes with air conditioning, isn't weather dependent, and more than likely won't put me in the hospital like the last one. It's a simple bookkeeping/accounting position and the pay's not much, but it's a start in the right direction.

Just before you are done ask. Is there anything in my resume that you would like to discuss further? Let’s the interviewer feel like you are open and above board. Not saying you aren’t, but it gives them a favorable feeling about your character.

Good luck and Happy Trails, Pard.

Good luck Pard!

Look the interviewer in the eyes, smile; be aware that questions may make you uncomfortable.  It is ok to say, “ Let me think about that for a moment.” It shows you are not going to make snap judgements.  It’s ok to let them know you are eager to work for them, but avoid sounding desperate.  Be absolutely totally honest.  I used to do employment interviews for a really big company.  Let us know how it goes.

From someone who recently went through the interview process, all of the advice above is spot on.

Best of luck to you and I'm sure you'll do well.  Please keep us posted.

1.  make sure your breath is o.k.

2. DON'T compliment any female's, regardless of its innocent nature.   Don't compliment them on their shoes, dress, or hair.  Leave it alone. 

3. Answer questions with eye contact.

4. and please don't start every answer with..... "Well, uh.......................".

5. don't cross your legs or try to look overly relaxed or 'cool'.

6. don't over use your cologne and smell like you took a bath in Old Spice or Brut.

7.  If you are ask if you would like something to drink (assuming you might be thirsty),  accept some water  only if your interviewer is drinking something.  If they aren't, let it be.

8. look appropriate for the position and trim any nose hair you might have.

9.  BE ON TIME.

AND.......most important, don't tell them you know Me, Lumpy or ALPO..... :lol:

..........Widder 

11 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

AND.......most important, don't tell them you know Me, Lumpy or ALPO..... :lol:

..........Widder 

Heck, I try to tell myself the same thing!:Plol

Thanks for the well wishes. I go in at 10 today. I hope all the luck y'all are sending offsets my bad luck.

Good luck, but remember sometimes even though you might really be qualified for the job, sometimes a friend of a current employee gets the job based on that friendship.  Also it was totally upsetting to be told "You're over qualified and won't be satisfied with this job." when I desperately needed ANY job to pay the bills.  Just don't take it personally.  The right job will come along.  Praying for you and your success.

1 hour ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Good luck, but remember sometimes even though you might really be qualified for the job, sometimes a friend of a current employee gets the job based on that friendship.  Also it was totally upsetting to be told "You're over qualified and won't be satisfied with this job." when I desperately needed ANY job to pay the bills.  Just don't take it personally.  The right job will come along.  Praying for you and your success.

I run into that ALL the time. I'm overqualified but can't find better. I just need something better than what I've got. (Which isn't much).

I think it went well. We talked a long time, nearly an hour, and she seemed to like me. Hopefully I'll get it. I could certainly use it.

Afterwards I went to lunch with my father, but had to call a locksmith to get back in my truck! Fuse or something is burned out and got it all locked up solid. Gonna work on it this afternoon and see if I can fix it.

6 hours ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

You're over qualified and won't be satisfied with this job." ........Which means they think

A. You’re probably smarter than the boss  or

B. You’ll ask for a raise 

Archived