SASS Wire Forum

Coffee v. Decaf

Subdeacon Joe

Folgers decaf certainly tastes like it does not come from the bean. Dirt or possibly factory floor sweeping are more likely the main ingredient. 

:o

Well, not quite the actual process but some decafs taste like they were made from dirt. Actual process either soaks or steams non-roasted beans to remove most of the caffeine. Got to admit that for many years I drank Folger Instant Decaf merely for convenience. Those plastic jars are great for storing 100pc. of 45 LC brass. I also place the jars in my boots to keep the uppers from collapsing (drill holes in base of jar).

44 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

What size? 8 ounce??

Best

CR

Oh Lord, that was over 10 years ago and the labels were removed from the jars. The cap is 3"dia. with the widest portion of the jar at 3-1/2"dia. and the overall height 5-3/4".

Hasta Luego, Keystone

11 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Folgers decaf certainly tastes like it does not come from the bean. Dirt or possibly factory floor sweeping are more likely the main ingredient. 

:o

There, I fixed it for you

methylene chloride or ethyl acetate are used to decaffeinate. There are also two other methods, Swiss Water Process and Carbon Dioxide Process. All ruin perfectly good coffee

And if I remember correctly, methylene chloride (CH2Cl2) is a suspected human carcinogen.

ANOTHER reason to not drink decaf.

A friend of mine doesn’t drink coffee. I don’t understand this. He’s a former F4 and commercial pilot.

He drinks Postem. If you think decaf is bad, try that. :wacko:

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend of mine doesn’t drink coffee. I don’t understand this. He’s a former F4 and commercial pilot.

He drinks Postem. If you think decaf is bad, try that. :wacko:

This is the description I found when I googled it.

The "instant" drink mix version was developed in 1912, replacing the original brewed beverage. Postum is made from roasted wheat bran, wheat and molasses. This 10‑calorie beverage is caffeine-free, fat-free, trans-fat-free, sodium-free, Non-GMO, and kosher.

Any thing that is all that will definitely kill you.

Occasionally I'll drink sum decaf. i like eight o'clock decaf.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eight+o'clock+decaf

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

This is the description I found when I googled it.

Any thing that is all that will definitely kill you.

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

That's why Utah Bob is wearing a mask. It's a decaf filtering unit.  :D

In the jar, it looks like dirt. Doesn’t taste much better.

Worst coffee I have ever had was compliments of Uncle Sam. The mess cranks on my ship could take government contract mediocre coffee and turn it into a strange liquid torture treatment.

My parents drank Sanka for years when I was a kid.  I'm not sure why.  Could be it was the first instant coffee.  (?)  Mom didn't like making a pot of coffee.  If some didn't get drank, it was a waste and my parents didn't waste anything.  To this day, God bless them they are 92 and 90, they have jars, many, plural, of food items with just enough to cover the bottom of the jar, taking much of the space in their refrigerator.  If you ask them why they have all that stuff there, they will tell you the other doesn't want to pitch it.  When my sister visits she cleans the fridge out.  There is a general wailing of how wasteful that is but they are glad to have the space.  They both have clothes they wore in the 50's.  Strange thing about that, those clothes are coming back into fashion and my daughter wants grandmas clothes.  My family is weird.

To all the nay-sayers , there are some folks , that I happen to be one of , that for one reason or another , have an aversion to caffeine. Or have been advised by a doctor to avoid it.

Sooo , I have gotten used to de-caf , and possibly enjoy it as much as you do the real McCoy.

I take no offense at the various descriptions and comparisons to hideous fluids heretofore mentioned. I will brew a small pot of the Green can Folgers in the AM and pretend I have good sense like everyone else.:lol:

Rex :D

I'm with you Rex. No doc has told me to avoid it, but caffeine is a powerful laxative in my system. One or two cups on an empty stomach and I'm off to visit the head really soon. One or two cups with food is much better.

If my choice is no coffee or instant, I'll take no coffee. Dang that stuff is dreadful.

As some have pointed out, there are valid reasons for drinking decaf.  

Which doesn't negate that for decades it tasted like...well...Lord knows what, but it wasn't good.   There are some out there now that do taste pretty good.   

As to instant coffee ....

well...

It beats no coffee.

I think.

It is good sprinkled on vanilla ice cream.

I drink extra-extra strong Black Rifle coffee. I was in the army a long time, got used to cold coffee and warm beer. Tried some 98% caffein free a few years back. You have any idea how many cups of 98% caffein free you have to drink to wake up in the morning?

The O'Meara Himself

All these posts on Coffee and Decaf, has me remembering growing up with coffee and which I haven't read yet. Remembering when mom would be the opening of a new can of vacuum sealed coffee can with the included key on the bottom. The aroma would sift throughout the house and linger. You no longer get that. Mom boiling water then taking a handful of fresh grounds and dropping them in the boiling water, no drip or percolating. Then pouring the coffee into cups using a coffee strainer. Mom made coffee that way till he passed away.

I got my first coffee cup, we all had our own, in 1956 when dad filled up with gas at Joe Oakes ENCO gas station on a Sunday after church and it was one of Joe Oakes giveaway for filling up, (remember when gas stations did this, besides full service to get your business). I still have the cup, though I no longer drink from it.  MT

Here's a pic of the cup, along with the cup given to me by John Swearingen Amoco's CO during the 70s.

SDC17840.JPG.74637352245d2cba76e5316e2ed8c84c.JPG

51 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

All these posts on Coffee and Decaf, has me remembering growing up with coffee and which I haven't read yet. Remembering when mom would be the opening of a new can of vacuum sealed coffee can with the included key on the bottom. The aroma would sift throughout the house and linger. You no longer get that. Mom boiling water then taking a handful of fresh grounds and dropping them in the boiling water, no drip or percolating. Then pouring the coffee into cups using a coffee strainer. Mom made coffee that way till he passed away.

I got my first coffee cup, we all had our own, in 1956 when dad filled up with gas at Joe Oakes ENCO gas station on a Sunday after church and it was one of Joe Oakes giveaway for filling up, (remember when gas stations did this, besides full service to get your business). I still have the cup, though I no longer drink from it.  MT

Here's a pic of the cup, along with the cup given to me by John Swearingen Amoco's CO during the 70s.

SDC17840.JPG.74637352245d2cba76e5316e2ed8c84c.JPG

That satisfying sound when the metal had peeled back enough to break the seal.   Mom usually used an electric percolator, sometimes a stove top Wearever pot 
Image result for wearever stove top coffee pot

and every now and then the method your mom used.

Last week I opened a new container of coffee and was thinking that sometimes I miss the metal key to wind off a strip from the can to open it.  

I also miss waxed paper for crackers.  You could open that.  Now, with the *@^$(#@^@*$# plastic sleeves, perma-sealed against everything, it is almost impossible to open a sleeve of crackers cleanly.

Thanks for sharing your memories, MT.  I always enjoy your writing.

Archived