SASS Wire Forum

cowboy boots

watab kid

question ; do you buy the size based on a boot that fits perfectly when new -or- do you buy a bit tighter to allow for the wearin stretch ? i have to admit ive not bought a new pair of boots in near 10 years  , i bought a little tight back then and ive not really seen all that much stretch , they can get a bit uncomfortable all day on my feet on a hot day , and are a pleasure to get off at the end of the day , im gonna buy a new pair , 

I think there are more variables than that.  Now, at age 68, I buy 1/2 size larger than street size, which is 1/2 size larger than 20 years ago. :o My footsies swell when I'm on them all day in the heat. I don't know if men have this same issue.

BTW, I only wear leather shoes or boots.

I wear a thin pair of synthetic socks against my feet with a thick pair of wool socks between them and the boot to wick to moisture away.  So tight would not work and I've never had any boot I've owned stretch.

Scout

thanks , i wear leather as well and yes mine swell when on them all day [same age ;>} and same issues] i bought the regular street size back then , i am thinking to go your way with a 1/2 size more comfort , 

while i was looking i was also searching and a guide said that the boot should fit the wide part and a little heel lift is to be expected as long as the foot remains in the cup , they actually suggested a lot to me 1/2" ? dont want to end up with blisters , they say that reduces as the boot breaks in , also say a little stretch is normal but you dont want to rely on that only for comfort , too tight will be too tight or the boot will start to fail , 

i like the double sock idea , i used to do that in hiking boots back in the boundary waters canoe area days , i will give that a try as well , 

I went to a Boot Barn near us this year and bought a new pair of every day Ariats. I have always been wearing 11 1/2. After wearing them around the house for a week I was developing a rub on the ankle. So I took them back. The lady at the store looked at them and had me try them on. she said they're too big. I didn't think that could be because it was on my ankle. She had me try the same boots in a 11 and no rub. I've been wearing them for a couple of months now and they are awesome comfortable. 

Maybe if you have a western wear place near you go seek their advice.

I have two pair of Hall's plain black and plain brown extra tall with spur cheaters, riding heels and square toes. I always wear a pair of silk wicking under socks and wool over socks. I originally bought them comfortably loose but my feet swelled in my 60s and Hall's rebuilt them for free pursuant to their guarantee. After more decades and an ankle operation, they require quite tugs to get them on but, after that, they are very comfortable. I only use them for riding and not for walking. I use shoes or White's Packers for SASS. 

I have worn western "Cowboy" boots for about 60 years.  For 50 of those years, I would soak a new pair in water and wear them all day until they dried, Wearing 2 pair of socks, light liners with heavier wool over. Worked like a charm. (Have foot and leg problems last few years, had to switch to a different system, but still western boots.) 

Himself

I have a pair of mule ear boots that had fit me perfectly, but I went on a 10 vacation down in the islands.  While in the islands I didn't wear shoes, went barefoot most of the time.   When I wanted to get back into cowboy shooting my boots would not fit.  I have wide feet any way but after not wearing shoes for 10 years my feet got wider.  I bought a boot stretcher from e-bay and that fixed my problem.  I would buy my boots to fit now.

+1 for Ariats.  I'm on my second pair of lace up packers after 15 years in the game.  They have a great insole and feel like I'm wearing a good pair of athletic shoes.  I have other good classic roper style and higher heeled cowboy boots.  They are fine for award dinners, but they don't cut it for 4 hours on the range.

20 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I think there are more variables than that.  Now, at age 68, I buy 1/2 size larger than street size, which is 1/2 size larger than 20 years ago. :o My footsies swell when I'm on them all day in the heat. I don't know if men have this same issue.

My swollen feet can testify to that swelling!  Plus the arthritis in all them small bones starts a'screamin'!!  I've gone through many boots 'til I found what's the most comfortable.  By the way, walking on rocks is awful!!  Whoever thought rocks would make a good floor for a range??

The required 1/2 size larger as you age is one of those fun things they don't tell you: the fat pads on the bottom of the feet shrink (maybe go away entirely) and your feet spread.  My most comfortable cowboy boots are no-name & came from a discount store.  They ain't even leather but they look ok and I don't wear them that much (ironic) because that's not the way I usually dress for matches.  I usually wear girl clothes, hats, and shoes, which ain't ever going to be comfortable.  But I digress:  non-leather - buy to fit comfortably because they're not going to change with wear.  Leather should give a bit and mold to the shape of the feet over time.

I'll take gravel over mud, especially dried-rutted mud, any day. That said, I know what you mean.

I believe that wearing a different pair of shoes (not just same style, different color) every day during a multi-day match is helpful. This is especially true when your shooting boots or shoes do not have the same last as shoes you wear most days. I'm retired and wear flat, comfy shoes every day. If I wear a pair of heels to shoot in for than one day, my footsies scream afterwards because they were stuck in an unusual position for too long. It is not so bad if I change to another pair of heeled-shoes from day to day.

Im with The O'Meara. Get them wet and wear them dry. It has worked since jungle boot days for me and continues. Of course, that day of wet boots is awful ...but they fit after that. 

Imis   +1 0n a different pair each day of a multiple day match

20 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I do have the same issue-It's part of my advancing CHF.

OLG

I frequent a Consignment store in Sutter Creek. One day, she had these boots in a size 9 for only $100. I've previously worn a 7 1/2 to 8. I could not pass them up. I wear them with thick socks.

Since then, I've bought 8 1/2s too. With the right socks, my feet have not hurt. I did buy a beautiful pair of 7 1/2s that hurt, so I sold them. I have no patience for breaking in boots.

AM Red BW Crop.jpg

As far as boots go, when you try them on they should be confortable in the store. Whether leather or synthetic, they wont stretch that much.  I use to live in my boots and my go-tos were Ariat.  I didnt get along with Justins all that well, until recently.  Now i seem to have flopped, i get along a bit better with justins but still really like the footbed in the  Ariats the best. Ariats also have a great warranty, as lng as the store you purchased them in is willing to honor it. Justins are made in the US.  I have heard great things about Anderson Bean but havent had the funds to buy a pair.  I did love a pair of paisley sting rays but at the time couldnt justify spending the 400+ on a pair of boots. 

Allie---where do you find the best place to purchase patterns for making your own clothing? 

I'm new to the cowboy boot journey however for what it's worth I first bought a pair of Justin's  - pointed toe - which looked cool (and still do) in size 9.  Seemed like a good idea at the time though were tight from the get go.

Recently got me a pair of Durango's in 9.5,  Square toe and low heel.  Way more comfortable.  I can go shopping in these. With the wife :)

I'm thinking you need to half a size higher than your street shoes.

Sheriff Langston

there are 3 things I look for

1 must be extra wide

2 must be cockroach in the corner stompers

3 must be Buttugly!!!

Dan Post are pretty comfy

if you are going to wear cowboy boots might as well be memorable B)

Chicken Scratch

Going a little OT here , but it kinda has to do with fit. Over the years it seems that in the last maybe 10 -15 years or so , the size marked in a boot (or shoes , athletics being the worst offenders) really have no standardization. What is a 10in one brand could be 10.5 or 11 in another. Some I have seen even range farther apart.

So far it hasn't been quite that bad in the Justin- Tony Lama- Ariat lines , but it still bugs me that the standards have slipped over the years. And in many cases quality of materials and workmanship.  I seldom buy anything clothing related these days without trying it on first.

O.K. , rant over , Rex :D

i like that thought of 38 - nut not sure my heart could handle it again ....just sayin , 

"..Going a little OT here , but it kinda has to do with fit. Over the years it seems that in the last maybe 10 -15 years or so , the size marked in a boot (or shoes , athletics being the worst offenders) really have no standardization. What is a 10in one brand could be 10.5 or 11 in another. Some I have seen even range farther apart..."

i have noticed that while visiting boot stores around here , between that and the one store here that wants to sell me a boot four to five sizes bigger [based on their 'old tool' measuring device] than my street shoe ive become confused , i do know those were so loose i could walk out of them - would not want to step in mud it would suck them right off my foot , 

thanks for all of the input , i really appreciate every one of you for offering it , time to get serious about shopping before this discretionary cash disappears into a honey do list black hole , 

I got a pair of Tiiii...GHT Tony Lamas for daincin' and  dress-up and a loose, sloppy pair that feel like tennis shoes for kickin' my cow patties around.

I'm much better at kickin' cow patties than daincin'. So I'd suggest get 'em to fit. The tight ones don't seem to be getting any looser and the loose ones don't seem to be getting any tighter. Go figure.

16 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PPS For the money I saved on clothes and boots, I can afford wonderful D Bar J hats. :)

Exactly how many of them shirts and boots do I need to buy before I've saved enough to buy one of them hats?  I'm not familiar with this form of math. 

When I bought those boots, I looked them up on the Old Gringo site (they are no longer there) and they were $499. Mine were unworn $100. So I saved $399. At that time the D Bar J hats were $350. :)

Today, I found them for sale online for $425. https://poshmark.com/listing/50a69407c71245188f0182c4?campaign_id=1013389906&enable_guest_buy_flow=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIodnhqvLS2AIVCNVkCh2EYgdgEAQYBSABEgLuv_D_BwE&gdm_bottom=false&l_con=NWT%2FNEW&utm_campaign=1013389906&utm_source=gdm They list the regular price as $610. :o

When you try them on your foot should kind of pop into boot and heel should slip a bit. Make sure your toes are not pinched as that will basically stay the same. Have worn boots for basically 40 years and many brands and bad ones. Even had a pair custom made. Shoot in ariat boots and my everyday boots are Cowtown, black jack boots. Try out cowtowns website, they make decent boots and fit me pretty well, the black jacks are very comfortable but they are pricey. I am a 12 b-c.

I guess that my method is not that popular. As an adult, I have always had my riding boots custom made. My Hall's had a lifetime guarantee. I sent them back twice. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business. All of my custom made boots have lasted me for 50 to 70 years so on a fully amortized basis, they didn't cost me squat. 

Archived