SASS Wire Forum

Spotters - minimum age requirement?

Chief Rick

We've allowed spectators/soon to be shooters spot at times.  Every so often some will follow our posse to the bitter end of the match.

after watching what's going on and getting instructions from posse members we let them have a 'go' though look at each person and not make it a blanket rule

We often have spouses of shooters spot at local matches.  Many have shot in the past.  Some just not that match.

And some of them have 5 -  10 years experience spotting, photographing and keeping score.  We are very thankful for them.

14 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. There is no rule, other than at contracted matches, that one must have taken the ROI course to perform a posse's RO duties.  I searched and didn't find a requirement like that at club, AKA monthly, matches.

You're not wrong, but in some folks opinion(self included) it is a good idea. I didn't let Mustang spot before taking the RO1 class; he mainly picked up brass.

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. There is no rule, other than at contracted matches, that one must have taken the ROI course to perform a posse's RO duties.  I searched and didn't find a requirement like that at club, AKA monthly, matches.

I still haven't taken mine yet (hopefully at the state match this year), but I did TO quite a bit last year. Only made one bad call so far, and saved four SDQ's. Not that I'm counting. It's not always easy to find a course and often times they are many miles away. I have been noticing since I started that there are getting be be fewer and fewer people TOing a match and those folks get pretty tired by the end of the day.

32 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

I still haven't taken mine yet (hopefully at the state match this year), but I did TO quite a bit last year. Only made one bad call so far, and saved four SDQ's. Not that I'm counting. It's not always easy to find a course and often times they are many miles away. I have been noticing since I started that there are getting be be fewer and fewer people TOing a match and those folks get pretty tired by the end of the day.

As TGs are required to take one every two years, I'll be taking it too. See you there!

On 1/10/2018 at 7:25 PM, Smokestack said:

If you want the kids to learn to be good spotters, you have to let them spot. What irks me is people who have this idea that kids should always, and only pick brass. If you want to keep them coming back, you have to make them a part of the posse, not just a person who does the unwanted job. 

This is SO TRUE!!  It’s true not only for young shooters but ANYONE new!! We need to make everyone feel like they are a part of the posse!!

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived