SASS Wire Forum

CCI 500 regular or Federal 200 Magnum?

Chief Rick

Don't buy a butt-load of CCI primers till you have thoroughly tested them in your guns ........

Just now, Yusta B. said:

Don't buy a butt-load of CCI primers till you have thoroughly test them in your guns ........

This^^^^^^^^^^^

All I shoot for rifle and pistols are Federal Magnum Match or Magnum (99% Gold ones). They "seem" to burn the powder a bit hotter and less carbon build up on the front of my open top's cylinders. Same for using Magnum 209's with shotgun....CCI Magnum 209's. Those burn the powder cleaner. Until I switched to them I was using Winchester 209's. The Winchesters worked fine but the wads, (Claybuster gray wads) were like black plastic slime when I went to clean the barrels. With the CCI Magnum 209's I get a black powder from the wads. I Had used Federal 209's but had 8 FTF's out of 2 boxes so they went back in the ammo can and I went back to Winchester 209's until I could get the CCI's again.

Lots of good info above.

I use FED in my Cowboy loads because my rifles are more tuned for FED and WIN.

BUT, because I have some CCI, I use them in my semi-auto pistols.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Well, now they're showing unavailable, unavailable for back order. Guess that makes it a simple decision. 

Right now Brownells has Federal Gold Medal Magnum Match $164.99, 1 penny Haz-mat and free shipping on over $150.00, I'd personally go that route over CCI no matter how cheap they were.  Brownells offer is today only.

Randy

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Right now Brownells has Federal Gold Medal Magnum Match $164.99, 1 penny Haz-mat and free shipping on over $150.00, I'd personally go that route over CCI no matter how cheap they were.  Brownells offer is today only.

Randy

That's why I was asking - when I looked earlier today it showed the Federal Small Pistol Magnum primers available.  When I went back they were not available and no back-order.

I went ahead and ordered the GMM Small Pistol Mag primers.

Archived