SASS Wire Forum

How fast is fast?

diablo slim

Everybody has a different par time they strive to meet, and it gets shorter as they improve.  

The real answer for you is probably something like - half a second faster than the pard you are trying to beat. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

20 minutes ago, diablo slim said:

Under 24 sec....is my baseline

How slow is slow?

Check out the past couple years EOT scores and you'll have a pretty good idea of where the benchmark is being set,  especially in relationship to specific categories.

..........Widder

21 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Honest answer, under 14 for average current day SASS stages.

Hey Deuce,

Does that include hitting all the targets with no misses.....? :P:blush:

34 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Honest answer, under 14 for average current day SASS stages.

We ain't all super human.:D I'm happy if I can shoot a typical stage under thirty seconds.

I'm not up to duece or smokestacks speed.   Fast for me is around a 16 sec average.  While I can dip into the 12s from time to time I can't do it often

I does depend on the stage a lot.  We have a couple bays that are 80' across and most times we use it all.  I'm happy with under 17 on those.   On a standard 3 position 25' stage I'm  happy with the 16 average

One club near by likes minimal movement.  Like at most two steps between positions.   At that club I'm frustrated when it's not sub 15

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Anything faster than me. ;)

That would be a desert tortoise.

Hey BULL,

You heard the story of the snail on the turtles back?    He was enjoying the wind blowing and yelling ...... Yip-EEEEEEEE.

:D

Its all in perspective!

..........Widder

My times improve when I shoot in a cross wind! Wart hog loads of black powder have a tendency to slow your times when the targets are obscured!  :-)

I'd love to shoot a match with all scores in the 20s.

5 hours ago, diablo slim said:

Under 24 sec....is my baseline

Two handed or duelist , gunfighter, 

size & distance of targets,  distance between shooting positions 

between 14 -17 seconds depending , Santa Fe River Stan sometimes gets in 12 sec ,

check put YouTube videos of Matt Black , Missouri Lefty , Deuce , and some others just incredible

There are a lot of variables as well. One being which match are you talking about? I shoot at five different clubs throughout the year. A couple of them the fast shooters are under 15 seconds. A couple more and the fast shooters are in the sub 20 second range. And one club I shoot at getting under 30 seconds for a typical stage is where the best hand out. Usually around 25 or less, but that club has a ton of down range movement often times with 6 shotgun targets and/or poppers. Poppers certainly slow you down.

depends on the match and stages. I've shot matches that run from 10-15 seconds a stage is norm(top shooters)(most targets peeing distance). Up here around home stages are around 14-18 seconds and pistol targets are 5-12 paces, rifle targets 15+ paces. 

My goal for most (modern day setup) matches is to average sub 20.

I have found my knee injury and the lack of shooting that has come with that injury has added about 2-3 seconds to my times.

But as others have mentioned, sequences, target sizes and distances, # of movements/ distances and transitions can change all the parameters.

Could I average sub 20's at Winter Range?  No.

Would I strive for it?  Of course.

If I can shoot a stage in less than twice James Samuel Pikes time, I'm doing good

I've always known I'd never be an overall big match winner..

I don't want to put in the practice time..:mellow:

My goal..:) At a big match.. be in the top 25% of all the shooters..

Rance;);)

Thinkin' I might pull off a high teen stage..

but I'm not consistent there..:mellow:

7 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! That's Superman. Me, they time with an hour-glass egg timer! :P

You've got me whooped, Trailrider.  I shot my first match back in December.  After watching me shoot the first stage, the T.O. put down the shot timer and brought out a sun dial.

:ph34r:  Einstein's answer to the question was that it's all relative........:)

I'm happy to have fun and not do anything foolish.  Looking over some of the match results from when my wife and I began, we see our gradual improvement.

Now the trick is to try to acquire or maintain skills ahead of physical deterioration and health challenges.....  Is physical training more valuable than range practice?

For now, a good match is staying in low 20's.  An occasional dip into the high teens is for me, like the snail riding on the turtle's back, exhiliarating!

Looking at the results of EOT and Winter Range, there are approximately 15 shooters in the world who can shoot  3 or 4 , 14 second stages, or lower at World or National Competitions.  Some can shoot many more than 3 or 4.  These shooters hit every target and are amazingly fast.  The best of the best.  It will be interesting to see what happens without rank pts.  I think many of these shooters will  be taking the governors off there shooting now that we are total time, and the times in world and national will go down even further.  The question should be:  how low do you think they can go?

SASS is a blast at what ever speed you shoot.  Perfect practice is what brings down your times.  Have fun!!!!

Archived