SASS Wire Forum

STUPID reporter on T.V.

Widder, SASS #59054

Just like most of the country, its cold in TN.

This morning, we had a little ice on the roads and our high for the day wasn't exactly balmy.

Anyhow, the local weather reported wanted to show how the ice is melting on the roads so guess what he does...............

YEP, he sticks his foot (with shoe on) in a puddle of water just to show everyone that its not frozen.

It was obvious from the camera that it was a puddle of water but he had to stick his foot in it anyhow.

To me, that just STUPID stuff.

Even ALPO wouldn't do something like that..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

13 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

When you say stupid reporter on TV isn't that being repetitive?

<_<

kR

Maybe not.  

Most of them are just displaying their ignorance, which is something that can be fixed.

Stupid...

Now stupid goes on forever.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Maybe not.  

Most of them are just displaying their ignorance, which is something that can be fixed.

Stupid...

Now stupid goes on forever.

There is a fix for stupid, but it is fatal.

Howdy Widder

Just a couple days ago there was a contestant on LETS MAKE A DEAL,

she was visiting her grandma for grandmas 101 birthday,

Any words of wisdom from grandma? was the question from Brady.

She only watches game shows and sports on TV. was the reply.

Reasonable, Id say.

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

This morning, we had a little ice on the roads and our high for the day wasn't exactly balmy.

Anyhow, the local weather reported wanted to show how the ice is melting on the roads so guess what he does...............

YEP, he sticks his foot (with shoe on) in a puddle of water just to show everyone that its not frozen.

It was obvious from the camera that it was a puddle of water but he had to stick his foot in it anyhow.

..........Widder

Damn straight. I'da took my shoe off.

Ain't no sense going around all day wearing a wet shoe. Liable to catch cold.

Another explanation might be,

he was just reliving his childhood on camera. :blush:

5a54e7ea137e6_KidJumpinginPuddle-RESIZED.jpg.af29a1a062f1455da5e8aae220d135df.jpg

On 1/8/2018 at 5:11 PM, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Don't you have to be a little stupid to be a reporter in the first place?

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Don't you have to be a little stupid to be a reporter in the first place?

Howdy RYE.

Reminds me of the multitude of reporters who stand out on the highways, interstates and city bridges during ICE and SNOW weather showing everyone how dangerous it is AND reminding everyone that the State Law and local Law enforcement agencies are telling EVERYONE to stay inside and don't venture out unless its an absolute emergency.

Well........ why did THEY go out into it?

And many people think that if its good enough for the stupid reporters to travel out, then it must be safe enough for others.

Go figure.

..........Widder

36 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Howdy RYE.

Reminds me of the multitude of reporters who stand out on the highways, interstates and city bridges during ICE and SNOW weather showing everyone how dangerous it is AND reminding everyone that the State Law and local Law enforcement agencies are telling EVERYONE to stay inside and don't venture out unless its an absolute emergency.

Well........ why did THEY go out into it?

And many people think that if its good enough for the stupid reporters to travel out, then it must be safe enough for others.

Go figure.

..........Widder

Only thing I can figure is they're making a good buck to go out there! I've seen some of them get hit by birds, splashed by cars, knocked over from the wind! Makes ya wonder...............

My oldest son and his wife both started their careers as journalists and reporters at the Scranton Times Tribune and Palm Beach Post. They've moved on to other careers in part because the pay is so low. The only people making money are the TV anchors and syndicated columnists. The pay is s**t for everyone else below them.

With a little bit of inside knowledge I can say the "news" business is part news, and largely entertainment driven by its customers. The news, particularly the electronic variety, is tilted in favor sensationalism because that's what gets people to tune in or pick up a copy. Intelligent, insightful reporting can be done and sometimes is.

The reality is that there aren't enough consumers interested to make it worthwhile. These days many if not most people get their news from the from the screen crawls below and above the talking/shouting heads on TV. The print medium is often condensed to a couple of paragraphs. There's more info out there, but many are too lazy to find the complete story that gives context.

This is what consumers want, or maybe it's just that they don't demand anything better. Doesn't say much about our society.

My 2 cents, nothing more

15 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

My oldest son and his wife both started their careers as journalists and reporters at the Scranton Times Tribune and Palm Beach Post. They've moved on to other careers in part because the pay is so low. The only people making money are the TV anchors and syndicated columnists. The pay is s**t for everyone else below them.

With a little bit of inside knowledge I can say the "news" business is part news, and largely entertainment driven by its customers. The news, particularly the electronic variety, is tilted in favor sensationalism because that's what gets people to tune in or pick up a copy. Intelligent, insightful reporting can be done and sometimes is.

The reality is that there aren't enough consumers interested to make it worthwhile. These days many if not most people get their news from the from the screen crawls below and above the talking/shouting heads on TV. The print medium is often condensed to a couple of paragraphs. There's more info out there, but many are too lazy to find the complete story that gives context.

This is what consumers want, or maybe it's just that they don't demand anything better. Doesn't say much about our society.

My 2 cents, nothing more

You're right that the reporters out there are not making a whole lot of money but the reason they're doing it is to get promotions so they eventually make the big bucks! Can't blame them for that if that's what their aiming for.

On another note: I've got a bunch of family in Scranton, Pa. My mom was born there and my dad's family migrated there from Italy. I go back every year or so for a family reunion.

I have lots of experience with news reporters. Mostly due to train wrecks. Most of the ones I have encountered have no clue about anything except for what they have learned in school. The one thing that they do know is how to nod their head and act as if they understand everything you tell them, but the little red light on the camera washes anything they have learned right out of their heads. They become the naive journalism student trying to look good for the camera all over again.

Too many "reporters" I came in to contact with, in my 40 years with the City, were lazy critters, who relied on hand-outs, coming from the elected official's offices or individuals with an axe to grind, without back-checking.

After my first encounter and dealing with the aftermath of a "reporter's" misunderstanding and mis-quotes, I always recorded any exchanges I had with them, 

Archived