SASS Wire Forum

1892 Winchester/ Miroku??

Outrider, SASS #72622

Anyone on here own or shot one?  Just wondering how they feel.  I'm thinking about getting one for WB.

I already have the '73 & '66 Winchester/ Mirokus and love them!

Not really interested in anyone coming on to bash the W/M unless you have first hand experience.

Thanks

I have one in .44 Mag/Special.  Got it for Wild Bunch, but shoot a lot of regular matches with it as well.  I'm not as fast with it as I am with my '73 in .38 Special/.357 Mag, but it works just fine.  I do find that for some reason I occasionally eject live rounds when using it - which would be on me - not the rifle.

I have a Browning 92 Carbine and a Winchester 92 rifle both in .44 mag/spcl and a JW commemorative in 44-40/44 spcl. The only work done was to the JW to allow it to shoot 44 spcl too. They are my favorite rifles to shoot both in CAS and for hog hunting (the .44 mag ones) and the JW has become my main match with the other 2 as back ups. They are fine for me but I am not a competitor, I go and shoot for fun. I love anything Winchester!  Picked up a 1873 last year and in 2 days will have the 1866. Will need to find a different gunsmith to work the conversion to allow .44 spcl in them as well. Again I will never work them fast so keep that in mind, no short stroking on them as again they would be faster than I am. 

I have one in .44 Mag.  It’s smooth, accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.  I also Shoot .44 Spl. In it.  You can fit a bunch in the 92!

I had a Browning 92 made by Miroku a few years ago in .45 Colt. It was the smoothest 92 I've ever shot! I wish I would have hung on to it!:o

20 hours ago, Nimble Fingers, SASS# 25439 said:

I have a Browning 92 Carbine and a Winchester 92 rifle both in .44 mag/spcl and a JW commemorative in 44-40/44 spcl. The only work done was to the JW to allow it to shoot 44 spcl too. They are my favorite rifles to shoot both in CAS and for hog hunting (the .44 mag ones) and the JW has become my main match with the other 2 as back ups. They are fine for me but I am not a competitor, I go and shoot for fun. I love anything Winchester!  Picked up a 1873 last year and in 2 days will have the 1866. Will need to find a different gunsmith to work the conversion to allow .44 spcl in them as well. Again I will never work them fast so keep that in mind, no short stroking on them as again they would be faster than I am. 

Does that John Wayne commemorative hold 10 rounds? I am seriously contemplating getting one.

It definitely holds 10, I am thinking maybe a couple more like 12. But the 12 maybe the .44 specials I shoot in it. But if you want to be competitive it isn't the best choice as everyone will tell you that the larger lever slows you down. But if you are like me and just want to swagger around like the Duke, go for it!  I have Grade 1 and it has the same zinc finish that his 94 has. I think you will be pleased with it. Oh it also has the rebound hammer but that is easily fixed too. Hope you find one priced right. 

26 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers, SASS# 25439 said:

It definitely holds 10, I am thinking maybe a couple more like 12. But the 12 maybe the .44 specials I shoot in it. But if you want to be competitive it isn't the best choice as everyone will tell you that the larger lever slows you down. But if you are like me and just want to swagger around like the Duke, go for it!  I have Grade 1 and it has the same zinc finish that his 94 has. I think you will be pleased with it. Oh it also has the rebound hammer but that is easily fixed too. Hope you find one priced right. 

I do want one, and with the big loop. I wouldn't shoot it at every match, but would be cool when I go John Wayne day. I like to wear this rig and gun for it as well as my greener shotgun:

Xk5KUE7.jpg

Love the yellow grips!  I believe I have the same rig with a 7.5 inch cross draw for either my New Frontier or one of 2 Buntlines. You might want to try it for fun at a match. It may surprise you!

I have one that I bought in 1999. It has a 24in. barrel, .45Colt, with the factory engraving on the receiver. The only thing I have thought about changing is the high gloss finish on the stock and forearm. The only mechanical issue I have encountered is a result of the very tight tolerances that the Japanese hold. When it was new the cartridge lifter would occasionally stick down if I wasn't aggressive enough with the lever. After shooting a few matches the gun loosened up and now it's smooth as buttah.

Sorry Redwood didn't see your response till now. You should try the big loop in a match. As for pics send me an email address and will send you some by Saturday. Got to get my place cleaned up for the wife as she is coming back from 4 months stay with her Mom in Guatemala. And I am picking up my new 1866 today so will include them in all my Winchester rifles pics for you. 

When I first started out in cowboy action shooting (Long time ago) my first rifle was  winchester 94 trapper (16* barrel) in .45 colt with a large loop. Won a couple speed matches with it. big loop didn't slow me down at all. But it only held 9 .45 colt rounds, so when SASS went to 10 rifle rounds, traded it off. Should have kept it, but finances were the big consideration for me in those days.

Himself

Mine was similar, started out with a 94 centennial 84-94, big loop, in 44 mag. My problem was the gosh darn safety on the receiver!  Spit out three in shot bullets before I realized I had the safety was on. 

I just happened to stumble onto Winchester's website I saw that new for 2018 is the standard version of the 1892 carbine, and it comes in 44-40 too! Before you had to get the big loop lever, which I am not opposed to and still might, but now there is an option to not get it and still get the carbine. I am pretty excited now.

Archived