SASS Wire Forum

1851 Navy Sheriff’s Model - 38 Special?

Sgt. Saywut

My next pair of pistols will likely be Bisley Vaqueros, but I’m digging the appearance of the 1851 Navy Sheriff’s Model:

722CE8DC-05AC-4D4D-8370-BDECDC154D3F.jpeg.004c779446471fe2483107f471e98783.jpeg

I understand this is a BP pistol, and there are conversion cylinders available for centerfire cartridges.  If I understand correctly also, such a conversion needs to take into consideration the barrel being sized for .36 caliber (or .44 caliber) bullets. Is there a pistol in this configuration that’s available from the factory ready to go, in smokeless 38 Special?

Not that I've been able to find :( Closest thing would be a Uberti with a round barrel.

I bought some Pietta 1851 in .44 during Cabela's Thanksgiving sale and converted them to .45 Colt/Schofield/Special myself. 

5a53cc5929073_2018-01-0813_51_28.thumb.jpg.aa5dcde528c77512797cb996005bdc66.jpg

5a53cc624d4b5_2018-01-0813_50_46.thumb.jpg.f974d1b2999e135c3c2063a6ada0ee29.jpg

29 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

My next pair of pistols will likely be Bisley Vaqueros, but I’m digging the appearance of the 1851 Navy Sheriff’s Model:

722CE8DC-05AC-4D4D-8370-BDECDC154D3F.jpeg.004c779446471fe2483107f471e98783.jpeg

I understand this is a BP pistol, and there are conversion cylinders available for centerfire cartridges.  If I understand correctly also, such a conversion needs to take into consideration the barrel being sized for .36 caliber (or .44 caliber) bullets. Is there a pistol in this configuration that’s available from the factory ready to go, in smokeless 38 Special?

Blasphemy!  :P

Taylor's will sell you a conversion cylinder for the Pietta .36 to fire 38 LC, but there is no conversion for the .44.

There are factory conversions with hex barrels and the proper bore dimensions for 38sp.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/c-mason-revolver/c-mason-revolver-1851-navy.html

cmason.jpg

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

...Is there a pistol in this configuration that’s available from the factory ready to go, in smokeless 38 Special?

Yes.  Uberti 1851 Richards-Mason conversion.  Available with 7 1/2", 5 1/2", and 4 3/4" barrels.   .38 Special smokeless or BP.

1 minute ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Yes.  Uberti 1851 Richards-Mason conversion.  Available with 7 1/2", 5 1/2", and 4 3/4" barrels.   .38 Special smokeless or BP.

Octagon barrels?

Thanks for the input, folks.   I hadn’t heard of the Mason conversion till just now, so didn’t see those during my search.  Looks like the Mason conversion does away with the plunger though, which gives the pistol sort of a bulldog-like appearance that appeals to me.  Kind of like how a full-lug S&W DA revolver catches my eye more than a half-lug revolver. 

Appreciate the responses!

9 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Yes.  Cimarron calls them 1851 Richards-Mason conversions, Taylors calls it C.Mason conversions.

Thank you, I learned something new today. 

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1851-richards-mason-38-spl-4-3-4-in-barrel.html

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Thanks for the input, folks.   I hadn’t heard of the Mason conversion till just now, so didn’t see those during my search.  Looks like the Mason conversion does away with the plunger though, which gives the pistol sort of a bulldog-like appearance that appeals to me.  Kind of like how a full-lug S&W DA revolver catches my eye more than a half-lug revolver. 

Appreciate the responses!

There is also the Man With No Name conversion, but only in a 7 1/2 barrel. You would need to have it shortened to suit you.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539884/Firearms/Handguns/Cimarron+Firearms+Co./Cimarron+CA9081+Man+With+No+Name+6RD+38SP+7.5

mwnn.png

38 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not that I've been able to find :( Closest thing would be a Uberti with a round barrel.

I bought some Pietta 1851 in .44 during Cabela's Thanksgiving sale and converted them to .45 Colt/Schofield/Special myself. 

5a53cc5929073_2018-01-0813_51_28.thumb.jpg.aa5dcde528c77512797cb996005bdc66.jpg

5a53cc624d4b5_2018-01-0813_50_46.thumb.jpg.f974d1b2999e135c3c2063a6ada0ee29.jpg

Are you using .45 caliber bullets, or crimping down the .45 cases on .44 caliber bullets?  Any issues?

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Are you using .45 caliber bullets, or crimping down the .45 cases on .44 caliber bullets?  Any issues?

I normally use a 165 grain cast .45 bullet.

If by .44 caliber bullets you mean the round balls that you would shoot out of a cap and ball revolver then yes, that works fine as they are sized at .454.

.44 caliber cast bullets, size .427-.430, will not work.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Abilene has it right. On the RM type 1 guns the barrels are octagonal. The later type II version have the round barrels.

Very easy to do your own conversion. Here is a pair I've been shooting for a few years now. These have the longer, blued "london" grip which really fill your hand...

DSC_4204-vi.jpg

Here is an article I wrote for a black powder magazine a while ago:

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/1860-colt-army-sheriff-models.html

These are set up for 45ACP or 45 Cowboy Special......

The loading ram has now been removed and ejector rod installed. Need to update the picture.

13 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Very easy to do your own conversion. Here is a pair I've been shooting for a few years now. These have the longer, blued "london" grip which really fill your hand...

DSC_4204-vi.jpg

Here is an article I wrote for a black powder magazine a while ago:

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/1860-colt-army-sheriff-models.html

These are set up for 45ACP or 45 Cowboy Special......

The loading ram has now been removed and ejector rod installed. Need to update the picture.

You need to make and sell hammers with the fix you did in one of those blog posts ;)

You need to make and sell hammers with the fix you did in one of those blog posts

Yes, one of the problems with the Pietta is they are made out of " hard cheese "...... VERY soft metals. 

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

There is also the Man With No Name conversion, but only in a 7 1/2 barrel. You would need to have it shortened to suit you.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539884/Firearms/Handguns/Cimarron+Firearms+Co./Cimarron+CA9081+Man+With+No+Name+6RD+38SP+7.5

mwnn.png

Is that even feasible?   Any gunsmiths out there who could do the job properly and make it look like in the pic in my OP?

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Is that even feasible?   Any gunsmiths out there who could do the job properly and make it look like in the pic in my OP?

No doubt there are several, but it's probably not cost effective. Hardest part is probably shortening the loading lever.

I had a pair of Remingtons cut down to 5 1/2 inch and he shortened the levers. Boomstick Jay did the work, and quite well I might say. As for cost, you gotta pay to play. If you want something that is not available over the counter it will cost you one way or another. I would probably buy the C&B's ($199 each on sale) and add conversions ($235 or so for R$D's). Sure, 357 diameter bullets will rattle down the bores, but I promise you are gonna hit targets at these distances.

18 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I had a pair of Remingtons cut down to 5 1/2 inch and he shortened the levers. Boomstick Jay did the work, and quite well I might say. As for cost, you gotta pay to play. If you want something that is not available over the counter it will cost you one way or another. I would probably buy the C&B's ($199 each on sale) and add conversions ($235 or so for R$D's). Sure, 357 diameter bullets will rattle down the bores, but I promise you are gonna hit targets at these distances.

Or get the .44s and Convert to .45 Cowboy Special; won't be a ton more recoil.

4 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

Blasphemy!  :P

Taylor's will sell you a conversion cylinder for the Pietta .36 to fire 38 LC, but there is no conversion for the .44.

Yeah yeah :P

The 5” version of this one actually looks the closest to the Sheriff’s Model I posted, so it’s definitely promising. 

On a related note, are there any lowered hammers readily available for the 1851 Navy to facilitate one-handed shooting?  Or will that have to be done by a gunsmith with TIG equipment?

Also, with the conversion cylinder, is loading / unloading similar to that in a SAA Colt / Vaquero?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Yeah yeah :P

The 5” version of this one actually looks the closest to the Sheriff’s Model I posted, so it’s definitely promising. 

On a related note, are there any lowered hammers readily available for the 1851 Navy to facilitate one-handed shooting?  Or will that have to be done by a gunsmith with TIG equipment?

Also, with the conversion cylinder, is loading / unloading similar to that in a SAA Colt / Vaquero?

There are no lowered hammers that I am aware of.

I believe that it would require a full conversion to avoid having to remove the cylinders for un/loading.  Honestly, I've never spent time researcing it - I'm happy with plain old C&B.  :)

Archived