SASS Wire Forum

old 1911s

Red Cent

If you don't belong to a CMP certified shooting club, you will want to join one real soon.  That's the hardest part (other than winning the lottery that will govern the distribution of the first batch of 1911s) of the process of qualifying to compete for a chance to buy one.

Good luck, GJ

:D Ain't a Singer, Rand, or the others. Just a plain ol' U. S. Gov't property 1911.

Colt 45.JPG

Other CMP offers have been pretty collectable.  With M1 and Springfield 1903/1903a3 rifles, even Mossberg 44 training 22s.  

This one will probably be less so.  Yeah, many were issued in WW II and Korean War, perhaps some even went to Nam and made it back.  But you can buy SO MANY brands of new-built much-higher-accuracy 1911s now, that so many seem to be "hoping for getting the one collector's piece in a gunny sack" of rebuilt guns stored for 50 years.   And with no ability to inspect before buying?  If I wanted a shooter, this would not be how I'd get one.   If I went totally crazy and wanted a collector, this would not be my approach either.

I'll pass on this one, too.

Good luck to others who want to try their hand, though!  GJ

price, price, price.......................................

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you don't belong to a CMP certified shooting club, you will want to join one real soon.  That's the hardest part (other than winning the lottery that will govern the distribution of the first batch of 1911s) of the process of qualifying to compete for a chance to buy one.

Good luck, GJ

According to the article active duty or veterans don't have to be CMP members to buy.  Not saying that's correct, just that's what's in the article. 

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

According to the article active duty or veterans don't have to be CMP members to buy.  Not saying that's correct, just that's what's in the article. 

Here's what CMP's site says, which is even a wider group of organizations that qualify you:

In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc. 

So, all you vets, thanks for your service, and here's a benefit you may not realize you earned!  GJ

these are for collectors.  I purchased an old 1911 frame made in 1918 and shipped to the Brooklyn  Naval Yard.  I had it re re-blued, put better sights on it and found out that it had a cracked frame..   If you plan to shoot it, then I would buy a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec or something like that.  

Archived