SASS Wire Forum

32 single six locking up

Renegade Roper

I have a 32 single six thats been short stroked & has the 1/2 cock colt feature.  It just started intermittently locking up on me.  It seems if I inadvertantly short stroke it it will occassionally lock up where you cant finish cocking it or pull the trigger.  Usually with a 1/2 cock you can finish cocking it and go on.  When it locks up the only way I've found to unlock it is to open the loading gate which then frees it up.  Any thoughts?  It just started doing this (dryfiring w/snap caps cuz its too friggin cold to even think about going outside).  Btw I know enough about the gun to take it apart to give it a basic cleaning but not the grip part.  He has a little better knowledge of that part and is no gunsmith but can do basic stuff on all of our guns although less familiar with the pistols.   Thanks. Roper

One thing to look for is this.

Ruger uses a spring loaded pin in the end of the cylinder shaft.

If the pin works it way foreword, the so spring loaded pin will not push the Ruger safety transfer bar back.

If this happens, the safety transfer bar will come up and stop under the firing pin.

Check to see that the cylinder shaft is all the way in.

I tend to push the shaft in just before holstering my revolvers.

Just making sure the shaft has not more out any.

You did not provide any details.  Who did the short stroke?  Does it have a transfer bar?  The .32 short strokes are all hand made and vary in quality and durability.  You might need to send it back to whoever did the original work as a lot of smiths will not work on someone else's conversions.  When the hammer is cocked there is a plunger in the hammer that lowers the bolt.  Once the plunger gets to a cetain point the plunger slips off the back of the bolt and the bolt snaps up.  What it sounds like is happening is that you have pulled the hammer back far enough for the bolt to snap up and when the hammer falls it is falling into the half-cock.  But since the bolt has already snapped up you cannot cock the gun until the bolt is reset.  When you open the loading gate this resets the bolt.  On many of the conversions the overlap between the bolt snapping up and the gun sitting in the half-cock position with the bolt down is very small.  Sounds like yours needs some work to correct this overlap.  Could also be something as simple as the hammer plunger sticking occasionally.  Bottom line someone familiar with Ruger short strokes needs to look at it.

Tommy has thoughts. I’ll get him to call you. Tried to pm you but it said you’re not allowed to receive messages!  Bad girl! :P

Hugs to cover boy!  

Scarlett

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

If the pin works it way foreword, the so spring loaded pin will not push the Ruger safety transfer bar back.

If this happens, the safety transfer bar will come up and stop under the firing pin.

Thanks Cliff Hanger,

The 1st thing I did when it happened was check the base pin to make sure it hadnt slid back & it hadnt.  Then I checked to see if the cylinder would rotate & it wouldnt so then I opened the loading gate & it freed up. 

Larsen, it doesnt have the transfer bars in. 

I tried to get it to lock up again but it wouldnt.  Like I said it just started doing it & it is intermittent.

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

THIS-And when was the last time the gun had a DEEP internal cleaning?

Have you check'd all the screws, to be sure they are 'tite'?

OLG

Had one doing this. I found the grip had been over tightened and a piece cracked inside, this piece fell into the hammer works and would jam intermittently.

Take the hammer out of the gun and carefully remove the cross pin (part id 20 on exploded view) that holds the spring loaded hammer plunger in place.  Do not let plunger go flying.  Inspect the cross pin.  Look for an indentation in the pin from wear.  If the pin is worn, replace it with a new one.  I suggest getting a good quality 1/16" drill bit a cut a piece off the shaft the same length as the original pin.  As a temporary fix, you can put the original pin back in opposite of the way it came out since the wear is offset from center.  You'll just have to look at it to figure out which way.

If you don't see any wear on the pin, then you have a different problem than I had even though the symptom sounds the same.

Archived