SASS Wire Forum

IDIOT!!!

Subdeacon Joe

This story is somewhat related, warning kinda graphic terrible pictures!

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/victim-chimp-attack-discharged-hospital/story?id=10585862

Feeding wild animals makes them lose their natural fear of humans. That leads to attacking humans in some cases. Signs where we usually pack in for a week or so, a wilderness area, the signs say "feed a bear, kill a bear". And if deer lose their fear of humans that makes them easy targets during hunting season in some cases.

I witnessed a father or I should say idiot father giving his 10 yr old son a peanut butter sandwich to hand feed a bear!!! We chased t he bear off (which the horses we were riding weren't too fond of) and almost got into a fight with the father. Just about that time a Park Ranger drove up, and really chewed the guy out. The family drove off (they were from a NE state) and the ranger thanked us. He said that's a very popular violation up there which was Carson National Forest. We always see our share of bear up there.

• 2 weeks later...

Once when I was young and foolish (as opposed to now being old and foolish) a couple friends and I took a trip to the Black Hills before classes started in the fall. Saw a buffalo (yeah I know it's a bison) and wanted a picture. He was facing away and not too far off the road so I got out with my little instamatic (and tiny brain) and holding the camera to my eye started slowly moving towards him. Well, image size in the camera had me thinking I was much farther away than I really was. He turned slightly toward me, I took the camera from my eye , and HOLY CRAP!! I started backing up and he started toward me, I tripped on a mound of dirt and didn't wait to see what he was doing since my friends moving car told me the story. I cleared a ditch and landed in the backseat of the convertible in a single bound (I was athletic as a young man). Lesson learned. Thank you God!

Archived