SASS Wire Forum

IDIOT!!!

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Lead Monger said:

Awesome! 

Too bad you think that's Child Endangerment.

It is and that guy needs the stupid slapped out of him. Have you ever seen what a spooked deer or elk can and will do with their antlers? How about their hooves?

Google it 

All it would take would be a shake of the head by that buck at the wrong time and that kid would need all sorts of stitches.  

Not to mention that he is both teaching his kids that wild animals are tame like Disney critters, and teaching the wild animals to be dependent on humans.  Hand feeding them on the street like that is far different than dumping feed in field or forest to help them get through winter.

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

With that many deer on the street, that herd is not afraid of anything already.

We have deer wander through the trailer park now and then, but when the see a person they bolt.

It's NEVER safe to feed wild animals! Especially a kid, what a dumbass this guy is!:angry:

When I was a kid the family took a camping trip to Algonquin Park (on the Canadian side of Niagra Falls).  I was a few years older than these kids.

We hand fed peanuts to chipmunks in the campground and soda crackers to the deer along the roads.  One time there were two bucks with their racks and all inside the car (through the window) gobbling crackers as fast as mom & I could give em.  It was an unforgettable trip for all of us and just like the dad in this vid we were told clearly do not try to pick up dropped crackers, step back or just offer a new one.  Never heard of any incidents.

We went to the local dump and WATCHED the bears feed from inside the car.

There are a number of undeveloped overgrown lots in our rural subdivision.  Nearly every evening we can see a herd of doe or some bucks wander out of the brush from the vacant lots to forage for food.  We don't go near them and they don't come near us.  It's pretty to watch but that's as far as it will get.  In St Louis we had many suburban deer that would come forage for food and the neighbors would feed them.  I was guilty of that too.  The problem is they become less fearful and dependent on humans for food.  The instances of deer getting hit by cars rose dramatically.  When I realized humans were the problem, I stopped feeding them.

People think Disney movies are documentaries and all animals are sweet pets.

Every year a few tourists up in Estes park get Elk stomped trying to take pics or feed the big ungulates.

Kids and large wild animals don’t mix. I handled a call as a police officer once where an 8 year old startled a buck on a nature trail. He got gored and tossed. Broke an arm badly and puncture wounds to the abdomen.

There are a lot of very stupid adults out there, as I learned as a young child.

My Father was stationed at RCAF Cold Lake in the 1950's. 

He and Mother decided we would make a camping trip to to Yellowstone. While there, the Rangers impressed on everyone; "Do Not Feed The Bears!"

Great! We're Canadians and try to follow the rules etc.

Touring, (in our new 1954 Ford Tudor), we come up on a traffic tie up. On reaching the head of the jamb, we find people out of their cars, hand-feeding cookies to the bears. OK, pretty dumb.

One woman starts complaining to her husband, who is trying to take a picture, " Kenny keeps sliding off the hump on the bears back!"

My Father rolled down his window about three inches and quietly told her: "Lady, that's a Grizzly bear"

We drove on. Didn't want to watch when she ran out of cookies.

Wow. Killer attack deer roaming Kalifornia trailer parks. Run away, run away. Call a cop. 

Those kids will remember there dear encounter for the rest of their lives. Growing up on the Oregon coast I had several opertunities to be stabed, stomped, poked and bit but I always got away. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen was a surprise encounter with a young Rosivelt bull. We stepped into a small creek at the same time no more than 5 feet apart. Froze. And stared at each other. I could see his heartbeat pulsing in the velvet on his rack. Then he walked away, nobody died. Then there's the time a little doe got tangled up in the turkey wire fence around our garden. My younger brother and I untangled and set her free and she thanked us by kicking and flailing through the whole process. Again, nobody died. And there was that time !!!!!

Yeah, kids do stupid crap all the time. Kids are stupid. It's part of being a kid.

And yes, that little girl will probably remember feeding that deer all her life. 'Cause she don't know the danger.

Her father, however, should. Adults are SUPPOSED to be smart.

Our treatment plant backs up against a bend of the Federally protected Black River.  It has high ground on three sides, a Metropark on the other side of the river and sometimes it feels like a game preserve ... I can predict the incoming storms by how many seagulls come in off the lake and take shelter on our handrails.

We had a minor herd of piebald deer, they roamed on up the river into Sheffield area.

One midnight shift I slipped on black ice, a Home Alone fall, 2 in the morning, blam! flat on my back and friends, believe me, there is NOTHING harder to fall on than iced concrete at two below zero, at two in the morning!

I learned I was not in danger from hungry deer.

I stood a right fair chance of being laughed to death!

There are few things more honestly humiliatin' than to have deer looking down on you from the high ground surrounding, their derisive laughter echoing into the cold void between the stars orbiting my poor pained noggin!

2 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

Wow. Killer attack deer roaming Kalifornia trailer parks. Run away, run away. Call a cop. 

Those kids will remember there dear encounter for the rest of their lives. Growing up on the Oregon coast I had several opertunities to be stabed, stomped, poked and bit but I always got away. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen was a surprise encounter with a young Rosivelt bull. We stepped into a small creek at the same time no more than 5 feet apart. Froze. And stared at each other. I could see his heartbeat pulsing in the velvet on his rack. Then he walked away, nobody died. Then there's the time a little doe got tangled up in the turkey wire fence around our garden. My younger brother and I untangled and set her free and she thanked us by kicking and flailing through the whole process. Again, nobody died. And there was that time !!!!!

A chance encounter is one thin. Letting your youngun feed a buck while you film it is another.

Like Alpo said, adults are Supposed to be smart.

Guest Grass Range #51406
12 hours ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

Trying to play "too safe" takes the FUN out of life.   

Play safe with children. Play stupid with your self

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It is the kind of behavior that leads to feeding bears at Yellowstone.

Which, as you are aware Sir,  in turn leads to becoming bear bait.

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Thought it was bear poop 

That would be even further along in the process. We're only going one step at a time.

Bit by a raccoon, sprayed by a scunk, captured and played with chipmunks, found and raised a baby otter, chased into a lake by a bear, fed more than one dear and have been stalked by a wolf eel. 

All before I needed to shave. 

I remember a frends little brother being killed when kicked by their horse. 

Another frend had hogs. One huge, scary boar darn near killed him and was gona eat him too. 

Lots of folks have been bit by dogs. 

Domestic Animals. 

Raised on a farm that had the usual assortment of farm animals,   I learned to respect even the gentlest.  They may not intend to hurt you but in a panic in an enclosure,  they can be dangerous. 

Farmer neighbor last fall was milking one of his cows when the cow was stung by a bee.  It bolted sideways and had its horns between the bars on the feed bunk.  It fell on him and then stepped on his leg when it got up.  No broken bones but a lot of deep bruising and torn muscles in his leg.  The doctors were concentrated on the damage to his leg and didn't notice he had bumped the base of his skull in back and fluid was building up.  Infection set in in his leg and it had to be opened up and drain tube put in.  He's still recovering.  

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Our f&g put radio collars on some bears once.  Found that a woman was putting pies out for him.  Someone else was painting his deck with bbq sauce

Uh, whaaaaaaaat?????

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's NEVER safe to feed wild animals! Especially a kid, what a dumbass this guy is!:angry:

It's illegal to do it here in Colorado!

2 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Looks like Mulies. Kind of unusual to see a group of bucks. around here, the bucks tend to be solitary:blush:

Except during the rut, then they can get really offensive....to each other and anyone in their way!

2 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Looks like Mulies. Kind of unusual to see a group of bucks. around here, the bucks tend to be solitary:blush:

Had three bucks hanging around with each other here last year. I have a pic of em somewhere. I assume they eventually got rather argumentative when the season rolled around.

Between my senior year of high school and my first year of college I worked as a pearl diver (dish washer) and a lodge in Yellowstone.  You would not believe the number of idiots we ran into up there. (" Hey Joanie, take Danny over by the grizzly bear so I can get a picture.  I'll try to get the cubs in the shot, too."  My favorite of many, many others.)

I won’t even start on the Tourist vs alligator stories I have

Archived