SASS Wire Forum

Tannerite :-) or Tannerwrong :-( ?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I see that Tannerite an explosive is sometimes used at Major Matches such as EOT; however, I was curious :ph34r: if any local clubs use it something similar in their matches, and if so what are the guidelines that they use it?

5a4e8823bf54f_TanneriteStarterKit-RESIZED.JPG.46bc1f33712f5a45a8a9ee6935cf3c2a.JPG

Typical local matches have a distance of 5 - 10 yards to the targets.

Not having had any experience with the use of this type of product, the questions become:

1. Are there clubs that use it an explosive (maybe on occasion) at their local matches;
  2. Is there a safe amount that can be used with short distances; :o
  3. If used locally, is it just used to signify the end of the match (to significantly determine the winner).

Just inquiring to see what other clubs do.

5 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

We don't use tannerite but I've used the lesser powered 22 stuff

evil:

So your club uses neither of them?

What is the lesser powered 22 stuff?

9 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

evil:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tannerite®-goliath-22-caliber-binary-targets-8-pack?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051

There are a significant percentage of our shooting community who do not care to expose themselves to noise levels much above that of standard Cowboy ammo.  

There are concerns that folks handling the binary impact explosives know how to handle, what amount to use, how to store, how to dispose of unused quantities, etc.

Some ranges have a noise sensitivity among their neighbors.    Our's sure does.

It could possibly add energy to bullet splatter coming back up range, or throw rocks and gravel back in addition to bullet splatter.

It could add real problems in retaining a range's insurance, as it could easily be ruled as outside the realm of the operations that the insurance covers.

Our club (Buffalo Range Riders) - no use of it at all.

In general, an energetic item which requires special preparation and handling and may add hazards to a shooting match, IMHO, does not really belong in a shooting match where you may have volunteers (posse members) trying to handle the materials without any real knowledge of the hazards that could be present and how to work properly with them.    Now, if every single person doing the setting has been adequately trained and advised of the hazards, and all shooters agree that they want the additional noise exposure, then would be a good time to run the idea past your insurance agent and landowner.

Good luck, GJ

16 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Text removed only to 5a29570cdcef5_SavethePlanet-RESIZED.jpg.bbe73c2275655720d10bc643a58684d1.jpg.

Joe:

I can only assume then that the explosive effect is typically used at Major matches where the shooting area is wide open, and the distance to the tannerite is sufficient for any side effects?

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

evil:

I think the lable was sonic boom. I set it up for heads up speed match at state a few years ago. Final shotgun round would set it off..  however I have played with tannerite a wee bit.  Look up tannerite vs ice cream van on utube.  A group of us had a little fun. 

For sass distances tannerite is way too powerful if by some great accident someone got hurt and your target distance was less than the manufacturers label your looking at one heck of a legal battle you won't win

I

11 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Joe:

I can only assume then that the explosive effect is typically used at Major matches where the shooting area is wide open, and the distance to the tannerite is sufficient for any side effects?

I've been to the last 3 WR's & EoT's, 4 BT's and once to Eldorado and it has not been used at any of them. Not in the Main Match anyway.

As matter of fact I've shot 165 matches in the past four years and have never seen it used, thankfully.

IMPO, at the distances we shoot at, I find it to be in the category of "Really, Really Bad Ideas".....

Right up there with those "Here, hold my beer and watch this" moments that leave you shaking your head and planting your face in your palms.

The pyromaniac in me thinks it sounds like fun but the pragmatic side of me thinks there's too many thing can go sideways and the unintended consequences far too high. 

I'm curious as to where you got the idea that it was being used at major matches. ???

We have used Tannerite at our Independence Day match. We mixed up small jars and set it at 35 yards or so. Off the clock each shooter got 1 shot at it with a .17 HMR  lever action rifle. It was just for fun and didn't matter if you hit it or not. Then assume the starting position and at the beep start the stage.  Even at that distance it was hard not to flinch when someone hit it. I was surprised when I hit it, no flinch at all if you're the one pulling the trigger.  It was a lot of fun for a once a year thing but a lot of trouble.

Randy

I'm in the "more trouble than it's worth" camp.  I used the 22 targets at a monthly as a off-the-clock shot.  Probably Fourth of July weekend or something like that.  We announced it in advance, and people could use their own 22 or we would provide a loaner and the one cartridge needed.  I made two mistakes.  Those targets are maybe half-dollar size, and I didn't want to put them too close, and at around 25 yards they are hard to hit.  Second screw-up was sticking them to steel targets.  If you missed it, the splatter would often destroy it, but not set it off.  

I did test it out the day before, one shot and boom.  I'm not a great shot, and figured if I could hit it, anybody could.  Wrong.  Nobody did, including me.  :)  Sticking the targets on wood instead of steel would eliminate the splatter, but I still wouldn't want to move them in much closer, so I doubt if I'll do it again.  

I thinking Tannerite is a BAD idea on the ranges down here. I want to be a long ways away when it’s hit. The venue, the club and the MD and others would probably lose everything they’ve got if a Tannerite fail happens and someone gets hurt or killed.

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I see that Tannerite is used at Major Matches such as EOT; however, I was curious :ph34r: if any local clubs use it in their matches, and if so what are the guidelines that they use it?

5a4e8823bf54f_TanneriteStarterKit-RESIZED.JPG.46bc1f33712f5a45a8a9ee6935cf3c2a.JPG

What are you basing this on?. Video?

They have used it to my knowledge only on the crossover final  target in the shoot off?

Do a little more research before you ask the questions please!

10 minutes ago, Judge'm All Duncan, SASS#67320 said:

What are you basing this on?. Video?

They have used it to my knowledge only on the crossover final  target in the shoot off?

With all due respect, this would have been a great answer except for that last sentence.

I personally am not able to make it to the regional or national matches so the only things I can personally base my questions on are videos, articles or word of mouth.

I come to this forum as a means of research.

We use the White Lightning version (.22s and shotgun) as the final target for our annual all shotgun match.  It's a crowd pleaser and not much louder than anything else we shoot.  Never had any issues or problems with it.

13 hours ago, Judge'm All Duncan, SASS#67320 said:

The act of asking the question is a form of research. Who else would he ask about major matches other than cowboys? While it may be an uninformed question it deserves respect nonetheless, as others have shown. If we said that to every noob who asked the same questions here about guns and gear we sure would seem like an impolite bunch, wouldn’t we.

We used some called White Lightening sometimes. What we did was mix it up then poured it into small earplug cases. The sound and smoke was fun and it was safe. We didn't notice any difference as far as splatter or ricochets and we were using shotguns. The targets were set back about 10-15 yards and we had a lot of fun. We used them on the last target of the match.

I do have a video of our All Shotgun Classic. In it we're shooting explosive targets that we made up. I'll see if I can upload it.

17 hours ago, Judge'm All Duncan, SASS#67320 said:

What are you basing this on?. Video? YES - See below

They have used it to my knowledge only on the crossover final  target in the shoot off? I see you have agreed it is used.

Duncan:

I have watched over a hundred or more videos relating to firearms, whether they be Cowboy Action Shooting related or otherwise.

An example of the videos I based the questions on is seen below.

Although it may not have been tannerite, the broader question was about explosives and CAS for both show and determination of final shot by which shooter (especially in split second situations).

Among other videos that I have watched include those related to the TV Show "TOP SHOT".

In the below intro to Season 1 of the program, you can clearly see where the tannerite issue came from.

It is hoped that these videos substantiate the questions I raised so that other readers of the SASS WIRE learn as well, since that is the premise of raising these questions.

32 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Duncan:

I have watched over a hundred or more videos relating to firearms, whether they be Cowboy Action Shooting related or otherwise.

An example of the videos I based the questions on is seen below.

Although it may not have been tannerite, the broader question was about explosives and CAS for both show and determination of final shot by which shooter (especially in split second situations).

To answer that one " determination of final shot by which shooter (especially in split second situations)."

and based on the video.

The winner is still the one with the cross plate on the bottom.  Even if both exploding targerts went off at about the same time, only one plate will be on the bottom.

To answer that one " determination of final shot by which shooter (especially in split second situations)."

and based on the video.

The winner is still the one with the cross plate on the bottom.  Even if both exploding targets went off at about the same time, only one plate will be on the bottom.

Yep, the explosive on the KD plates at EOT shown above is there ONLY for the entertainment value.  Two adjacent explosives will not give you a clear determination of winner if the split between two shooters is less than about a quarter of second.  Humans don't reliably judge explosions or even bullet impacts reliably under the human reaction time limit.  The popper plate on the bottom shows the winner.   I've even been in a top gun shoot-off where my ammo was powerful enough to send my popper plate to the bottom when I could see the other shooter hit their target first.   :lol:  (Bring enough gun/ammo.)

Tannerite wouldn't work for Cowboy matches anyway.  Our rounds wouldn't set the stuff off.  You need high velocity rounds to set off Tannerite.  As part of my evil upbringing, I found that the 5.56 cartridge is just about perfect but you better keep your distance.

23 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Tannerite wouldn't work for Cowboy matches anyway.  Our rounds wouldn't set the stuff off.  You need high velocity rounds to set off Tannerite.  As part of my evil upbringing, I found that the 5.56 cartridge is just about perfect but you better keep your distance.

.17 HMR will reliably set it off as well, it has  enough velocity.

Randy

Archived