SASS Wire Forum

Ruger LCP-II 380 vs S&W M&P Bodyguard 380

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I pocket carry using a correct holster and chose the S&W as it has a double action trigger vs. the Ruger's striker trigger. I have no problem carrying a striker pistol in a belt holster (have an LC9S), but not in my pocket. Just too possible/easy to have an AD when drawing due to the lite trigger. That said, Ruger makes good pistols, as does S&W.

Church Key 

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Looking at buying a customer one, or the other. (I want a S&W 642 for myself.......but that's neither there nor here)

Thoughts on both?

I have both. The LCP is a tad smaller and a bit lighter than the S&W Bodyguard, The Smith also has a little bit longer grip frame...not much, maybe 1/4inch. It doesn't seem like that's a big deal, but it makes a difference, and the bottom front of the grip extends a little more. I'm most likely going to sell the LCP and stay with the Smith. The LCP does shoot very well, but it's a snappy little critter with Hornady ammo. I ran 12 rounds through it and then bought the Smith; it's a bit tamer in comparison with the LCP. Both are good though.

I like both very Much .

With that said .

I like the S&W better because its a true double action just like a revolver .

The hammer strikes every time the trigger is pulled .

And it has better sights on it.

Either will server you well.

Just like some features better then others .

Ok, forgive my ignorance, I'm more of a wheelgun man.......Let me get this straight.....Not sure of the mechanics of a striker fired pistol......Whats the difference in  a striker vs a hammer? They both do the same thing don't they?

Ruger LCP II:- The striker fire is basically double action only- the trigger initiates the hammer (or striker in this case) each and every shot- like Glocks? You don't cock or decock them, ya just load, chamber and shoot, but the heavier trigger pull doesn't lend so well to accuracy as in a single action.....

S&W: The Bodyguard the hammer cocks and stays cocked upon the action sliding back, at which point it is single action (like on a 1911). But if hammer is down on a chambered round, it is double action mode? I assume the Bodyguard has a decocker????

Feel free to educate, inform, or correct me.

Yes, they both do the same thing in that the primer of a cartridge is struck to fire the bullet.

The firing pin (striker) in striker fired guns is propelled forward by the release of a tensioned spring.

Hammer fired is where the firing pin is propelled forward from the falling mass of the hammer.

Scroll down to the video:  https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/how-guns-work-striker-fired-pistols/

The S&W is different in that without a mag in it and without it having had the slide "racked" pulling the trigger will still work the hammer with a trigger pull. The LCP... (I've never handled the LCP2)....has to have the slide racked before the hammer will be engaged. I hope I said all of this right....a mind is a terrible thing to lose track of. :unsure:

The Bodyguard 380 has a thumb safety which isn't also a decocker.  The fire control has double strike capability.

P.S.  These compact pistols & revolvers have sights that I find unusable.  My wife's S&W Bodyguard 38 special came with a Crimson Trace lasersite.   I added on to my Taurus 380.

Went out yesterday with the new LCP that Santa brought me.  First time I shot in several years due to some medical issues. My only issue with the little gun is the size: my hands are so big I can't get a decent grip on the gun and was shooting all over the hillside.

I fired it first and thought I had just lost my touch, but did much better than I expected (considering how long I had been away) with a Colt MK IV / Series 80 Government Model - 380 Auto, a Rock Island 1911A1 .45 acp, and a S&W 38DA2nd Issue in .398 S&W, even with the very narrow front sight and an almost invisible rear notch.

I had never fired the S&W before and the other two hadn't been fired in about five years.  All shooting was done at 2" x 4" wood scraps at a distance of 30 feet and all but one or two shots were within a 5"-6" circle.  A little more practice will improve the groups.  I'm taking my old Star M-42 in 9mm, a 1903 Colt .32, and a Remington Model 51 in .32 acp next time.  Might even take my wife's Charter Arms Undercover .38 special and my AWA Longhorns in .45 Colt along jus for s---s and giggles.

I can't comment of the Bodyguard, but I have a Ruger for sale... or maybe I'll see if my son wants it... and will carry the little Colt.  It's not all that much larger or heavier than the Ruger and the platform, while smaller than the 1911 style, is more familiar

12 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The Bodyguard 380 has a thumb safety which isn't also a decocker.  The fire control has double strike capability.

P.S.  These compact pistols & revolvers have sights that I find unusable.  My wife's S&W Bodyguard 38 special came with a Crimson Trace lasersite.   I added on to my Taurus 380.

The thumb safety on the Bodyguard 380 is so stiff you have to be Magilla Gorilla just to get it off of safe. As for the front sights on these small critters, I do the same as I do with my CAS Revolvers. I use Testors Gold paint and paint the back of the front sight. That shows up against any background. I'm wishing now that I had ordered the 380 without the thumb safety.

9 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

The thumb safety on the Bodyguard 380 is so stiff you have to be Magilla Gorilla just to get it off of safe. As for the front sights on these small critters, I do the same as I do with my CAS Revolvers. I use Testors Gold paint and paint the back of the front sight. That shows up against any background. I'm wishing now that I had ordered the 380 without the thumb safety.

I am sure that the Bodyguard has a firing pin block safety so unless you carry in a pocket or pocket holster I'd leave the safety off.  The obsolete Taurus TCP I carry has no external safety.  It is a DAO hammer gun. The hammer is nested within the slid.  The only goofy thing about the fire control is there is no double strike capability.  To get a 2nd strike you have to partially rack the slide until you hear/feel a click.  I am sure besides the usual marketing reasons the TCP was replaced is because out of the box it was a POS reliability wise.  My daughter had one that after 2 trips to the factory for "repair" she traded it for a Bond Arms 38 special.  I am mechanically inclined & stubborn; so, I spent the time to diagnose the reason for its' propensity to not go into battery.  Polishing the feed ramp & chamfering the chamber mouth fixed it.*  It now is 99.99% reliable.  The sights are like those on a SAA or Vaquero with 2" barrel.  The recoil is manageable even with 1 1/2 fingers around the grip & no weak hand support.

The polishing & chamfering should have been done during the manufacturing or the recoil spring should have been stouter.  A stronger spring would make it harder to rack the slide (bad).

Both are good pistols.

I dislike the manual safety on the S&W. Too small. I don't know why people make a big deal out of 'second strike'. If the thing doesn't go bang, TAP-RACK-GO. Fiddling around going clicky-clicky just wastes time and in a fight, that will get you hurt.

Neither has especially good sights but that is not their intention. They're belly guns....or as I like to call'em, get-off-me guns. Stick the muzzle into the tender parts of your assailant, pull trigger & repeat until the threat is done. (though I like the J frames better for this, LOL.)

Both have firing pin safeties and are drop safe. My pick though would be the LCP II. Has a much better trigger.

Neither, I've long been a fan of the polymer framed Kahr's and after handling a friend's P380 went out and got one of my own.  It has real sights,  a great trigger, it's accurate and the recoil is minimal and significantly less the Kel-Tec P32 it replaced.

10 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Both are good pistols.

I dislike the manual safety on the S&W. Too small. I don't know why people make a big deal out of 'second strike'. If the thing doesn't go bang, TAP-RACK-GO. Fiddling around going clicky-clicky just wastes time and in a fight, that will get you hurt.

Neither has especially good sights but that is not their intention. They're belly guns....or as I like to call'em, get-off-me guns. Stick the muzzle into the tender parts of your assailant, pull trigger & repeat until the threat is done. (though I like the J frames better for this, LOL.)

Both have firing pin safeties and are drop safe. My pick though would be the LCP II. Has a much better trigger.

Just tap and rack is something you don't want to have to do if you don't have too.

You only got 6 rounds of 380 to start with .

I have had more then one different brand  of 380 ammo that took a second hit to go off .

The second strike to me is every reason I bought the S&W and sold off the LCP.

And with Big dot sights on the little S&W she is a fine shooter at any range .

As I said in a earlier post .

Both will serve you well .

Just  a few different  features.

10 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Both are good pistols.

I like the J-frame better quite honestly.....

On 1/5/2018 at 7:23 AM, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Both are good pistols.

That's what my dad (RIP) used to call them.  Thanks for the memory.

Howdy,

Seems like so much fuss when ruger makes a very nice 9mm lcr.

Five 9mm and very easy reload.

As long as there is enuf room for the cylinder to go around it should work.

I read thru this whole discussion and just cant git worked up about putting

my life on the line for one of these unless the lcr just is impossible to use/hide.

The Kahr might be something to look into.

How about a good sharp knife?

Best

CR

• 3 months later...

Archived