SASS Wire Forum

Recovery Time from Double Neck Fusion?

Juiceharp Jen

I had a double neck fusion a week ago, and my follow up Dr appointment is a week away.  Meanwhile my boy friend's job requires him to request all time off for the year immediately.  So I need to know how soon I can participate in matches, and I need to know now.  Anyone have relevant experience and can advise?

Ok not a Dr. And don't claim to be! I had neck fusion and steel plates and screws put in. Recovery was 4-6 months, yes I felt better after a few weeks following surgery, but the bones and muscles need to heal. Like judge said listen to your Dr. Don't push it! Worst thing to do is get impatient and screw it up. I know through trial and error about doing things to soon after surgery. Had 16 knee 2 shoulder one neck and just had my thumb done.

Rafe

I had mine back in may even though I've completed everything asked of me by the dr. I am still having pain. I have shot pistol and rifle with little extra problem but I am also keeping it to a minimum  I was off work 3 1/2 months 2 weeks in brace 24 7 6-8 weeks minimum before full duty up to a year for bones to completely heal. I am not sure yet but may have to redo later this year. that is my mileage. hope and pray yours will be better. as said in other posts listen to your dr. 

Howdy,

I had back work done years ago and still cant shoot shotgun.

Holding still and hitting my shoulder stresses back and neck.

Pistols probably wont bother with cowboy loads.

I bet shotgun will be your problem too.

Not only your Doc but your physical therapist need to know

about your goals. 

I had a great therapist but she moved to Colorado.

I should have just packed up and moved too.

maybe not, probably not.

Best

CR

Jen -

I agree with the previous advice, ask your surgeon.

I had C6, C7 and T1 fused many years ago, less than a month later I was scuba diving on the great barrier reef with my doctors blessing.  But the risk factors are completely different and the jarring of long guns on your shoulder.  

Edit - be sure to point out that you will be firing reduced power loads for a shooting sport, not full power magnum hunting loads.

Best of luck to you

Grizz

I had a lower back discectomy back in 2013, which stopped the shooting pains down my legs but did little for the pain near the spine.  I was back playing disc golf and even won advanced ladies division at a tournament only three weeks later.  

I had upper back surgery last March.  It was a C7/T1 laminectomy, which removed bone and returned feeling to my left arm.  I was offered a T1/C7/C6/C5 triple fusion, but went with the lesser procedure hoping it would be enough.  Unfortunately, I still had shooting pains down my arms and lots of upper back pain (which is said to almost always be due to neck problems), so we went forward with fusing the other discs.

I managed to talk to my surgeon's PA today, and he said I can't even take NSAIDS for six months; this particular procedure needs to heal a specific way over several months.  It sounds like I may need to put off any more matches until mid summer or fall.

Don’t do to much to fast. I’ve had six spinal surgeries and it takes time to recover and if you jump the gun chances of damage to the fusions and instrumentation increase dramatically. I was recovering from major spinal surgery in 1992 and instead of waiting for someone to help me in the shower I went in by myself and slipped and fell. The result of that fall was another operation and much more recovery time. I’m thinking your X-rays look lots like mine. 

5394F9BD-84FC-4C10-B47C-1EC1548E935E.jpeg

20D54AF0-D157-43C5-BB6C-FE56A720D715.jpeg

6C00CBFC-B3E2-4254-BB40-6645EBD18BDA.jpeg

So I need to know how soon I can participate in matches, and I need to know now.

Jen, you might want to start with a telephone call to your surgeon!  Asking for advice on the Wire is absolutely FOOLISH!

PS - Smart move calling the Doctor for advice

On 01/02/2018 at 12:10 PM, Juiceharp Jen said:

So I need to know how soon I can participate in matches, and I need to know now.  

You can start RIGHT NOW !

Go to the Safety Meetings, come Dressed to Kill.

Be a ***Part*** of a Posse, but Never fire a shot !

To start New Friendships, BE THERE !

I am not sure how bad you were to start with  but.....

Yul Lose and I seem to have had the same X-Rays.

Mine was done ( C-4 to C-7 ) in mid July in 2017, I am just at about 6 months and dr plus X-ray analysis sez   3 more months to be sure.

I'm taking the three months with no shooting and still very  careful with housework and tinkering.

It isn't woth another go round..

Ol' #4

Howdy,

You MIGHT help with running the match.

The only problem is that you will be tempted, very tempted.

And some wise guy will always be around to talk  you into something foolish.

I have places I just don't go.  Temptation is very tempting.

Best

CR

On 1/3/2018 at 9:32 AM, John Boy said:

Jen, you might want to start with a telephone call to your surgeon!  Asking for advice on the Wire is absolutely FOOLISH!

Yes-but it is intertaining.  Most of it is well intentioned, and incomplete.

Jen, you’ve seen my X-rays above. 21 vertebrae fused and instrumented anterior and posterior approach. Total recovery time after all five operations about 7 months before I was allowed to do much at all. One of my mistakes was major and it caused a lot of damage and necessitated another operation. I know it’s tough being on the sidelines but for your eventual return to normal living it’s a must. 

On 01/03/2018 at 8:17 PM, Heckler Hinge said:

You can start RIGHT NOW !

Go to the Safety Meetings, come Dressed to Kill.

Be a ***Part*** of a Posse, but Never fire a shot !

To start New Friendships, BE THERE !

Or, . . . , buy one of these . . .

The Howdah Hunter

by Pedersoli

To get a feel for the history of this gun just imagine . . .

<in the voice of Johnny Carson>

It's the year 1890.

You are in the Jungles of India.

You are riding on an Elephant.

You sense the immediate need

to Detatch a Tiger from your left ankle.

You reach for a Brittish Army Officer's best friend . . .

*)     The  Howdah !     (*

( Available in .410 or 20 gauge. )

tmp_8878-35S.358-S.3591684531736.jpg

59 minutes ago, Heckler Hinge said:

The Howdah Hunter

by Pedersoli

Oh, the egg just drips off my face ! 

I've shown you the .50 cal  Muzzle Loader version ! ! !

¡ Soy Idioto !

Well, there's always next year's Deer Season to think about . . .

On 1/2/2018 at 12:10 PM, Juiceharp Jen said:

I had a double neck fusion a week ago, and my follow up Dr appointment is a week away.  Meanwhile my boy friend's job requires him to request all time off for the year immediately.  So I need to know how soon I can participate in matches, and I need to know now.  Anyone have relevant experience and can advise?

6 months to a year, let your Dr. guide you. It's not worth being in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

Archived