SASS Wire Forum

ATF Seeking Public Comment on Bump Stock Rule

Sedalia Dave

No matter how you feel about bump stocks keep in mind that the ruling could have far reaching implications. Some states already have laws that are so poorly written that the Short Strokes on our rifles and pistols, the ability of some revolvers to allow slip hammering, as well as owning firearms capable of slam fire are probably illegal simply because they allow the shooter to increase his / her rate of fire vs a stock firearm.

Remember they never compromise and the Second Amendment clearly states that we don't have to. 

ATF Seeking Public Comment on Bump Stock Rule

The Department of Justice anticipates issuing a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) that would interpret the statutory definition of “machine gun” in the National Firearms Act of 1934 and Gun Control Act of 1968 to clarify whether certain devices, commonly known as “bump fire” stocks, fall within that definition,” a Tuesday Federal Register notice advises. “Before doing so, the Department and ATF need to gather information and comments from the public and industry regarding the nature and scope of the market for these devices.”

The document comment period ends on January 25, the notice continues, providing ways to send them in either by mail or via a submission form. The notice also provides background information, including a summary of claimed statutory authority as well as the ”justification” for the proposed rule, which unsurprisingly relies heavily on last October’s Las Vegas music festival murders to make the case that such controls are needed.

Seeing as how investigators have been tight-lipped, that an inconsistent narrative has resulted in plenty of distrust and no small amount of “conspiracy theories” and an FBI estimate that a final report could not be ready until the anniversary of the killings, apportioning blame to bump stocks that are owned by plenty of Americans who don’t abuse them seems more than a bit of a rush to judgment.

• 2 weeks later...

As a FFL I’m extremely unhappy with the NRA and NSSF. For years we have been saying it’s not the implement it’s the criminal that needs to be controlled. Now one man with 30+ rifles kills 58 and both bow to media and political hacks, blaming the stock. How many videos of proficient persons doing mag changes prove that mag capacity is irrelevant? But they now want ATF to consider a rule change, BS! After viewing some sound analysis videos I’m not convinced a bump stock was used. Everything about this shooting is strange.

I have already replied in support of "bump stocks" although I personally don't want one. I have fired rifles with them and don't see them as much of anything except a way to wast ammo. That said they should NOT be regulated as they are an accessory NOT a firearm.

Archived