SASS Wire Forum

Different option for drover style boots

Hardcase Hardin

Been looking around the web and thought the prices were a bit much (yes, I'm cheap sometimes) and had it in mind to scope out some used soviet army boots, which are pretty similar to drovers.

Went to eBay (where else?) and low & behold I found NEW soviet officers riding boots for $100 and the seller is here in Ukraine.  He agreed to ship them to me instead of the US address and I just got em in today. 

They're perfect, a tad large but that gives me room for thick socks and even a nice comfy felt insole.  Nice supple calf skin with a liner and slick soles, squared (ish) toes (more than the pics show) and come up to just below the knee with the back dropped some for comfort.

Can give the link if anyone's interested and there are used boots in multiple sizes as well and shipping to the USA isn't out of line.

1.thumb.jpg.c945b15dbd69d36831a40e85eeb7772a.jpg3.thumb.jpg.dec9f3593861aae66bfbc589b753b72d.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.79aa7b18749b236eef696f63ac2057bb.jpg

I failed to mention that the seller was excellent with communication. 

When I said I'd buy right then (Thur or Fri last week) if possible,  he set up a BUY IT NOW button for a new pair at my request for my size and had them on the way that day.

Size conversions are posted with the ad and they run pretty true.  I wear a US 11 boot and in the cheapo brands here a size 45 which SHOULD be US 12 and my boots are indeed 12s (45 here).  I prefer to wear heavy wool socks in my boots so getting 12s works out just fine for me.

And btw, they pull on and off without a struggle.  Break in should be pretty painless with the calfskin.

AND.....I have ZERO stake in any sales.  I'm just passing on the info because I like what I got.

6 hours ago, John Boy said:

Yep, them's the ones.  I bought from the feller bout half way down the page, unior123.  Was very pleased with the service and the product and the fact that the boots were made in Ukraine (Kyiv).

Took my new ridin boots out for a walk today.  Put on the better part of a mile or more on em and carried about 25 lbs in a ruck on the way home.  Took about 5 minutes to break in the soles to where they'd flex and after that it was purdy smooth cruisin for boots that AIN'T made for walkin.  Bought some felt inserts and will test em out one more time then they go in my suitcase and wait for the first match.

I had to wear my pant legs on the outside for the Missus to give me permission to go out in em.

• 5 weeks later...

I just received a pair of these boots after three weeks of being delivered.  I don’t know if they all come from the same stash, but they really are new old stock boots - mine looked like they’d been in a pile in a Ukrainian storage container for a quarter century.  Grimy and dusty!  But an application of leather cleaner, a rag, and some elbow grease, and the boots came out very nicely.  

Word of advice:  they look like the classic equestrian style of boot - slender in the shaft, and slightly curved front to back.  They’d look right at home on a dressage rider, but I think they’ll do fine for CAS duty once I find a pair of thin gel insoles. 

Hard to beat for about $100 + shipping.

I have some 1/4" felt inserts in mine and they feel just about right.

And yes they ARE Soviet made and have been in storage for a long time and may have a somewhat musty smell to em.

• 4 weeks later...

I also bought a pair but I am a big boy and the shaft is very tight on my calves. I haven't given up but they may not work for me.  They feel like with a pair of good socks I could walk to Berlin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 3:10 AM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Hard to tell, but do they zip up the back?

Would certainly be an easy enough modification to them as well as making it easier for us less flexible folks to get into & out of.  We have a small bench inside the door for donning and removing shoes (our home is a shoe free zone) so not a big deal for me.

5 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

my big feet make 45 size too small

Oh well, Indian moccasins it is

They have other sizes.  Contact the seller for info.  Mine offered quite a variety of sizes in new and used boots and was very good in communication.

I bought size 46 (12 US, I wear size 11 normally) and added 2- 1/4" felt inserts to get the fit I wanted.

Just found the seller on ebay and ordered a set myself.  If you don't see the size you need, just send him a message.  I asked him about my size and he posted a link within an hour.  That's responsive!

Archived