SASS Wire Forum

LC9S vs Shield

Utah Bob #35998

Opinions?

EDIT: I should point out that I have significant experience with Glocks as an instructor and armorer, and several other small frame semi autos.

What I’m interested in is opinions based on the personal experience with either of these two pistols. Seen a bunch or reviews and videos.

So don’t recommend a Baby Luger, short 1911, or mini Gyrojet please. :lol:

No experience with the Ruger but my Shield is a fantastic little carry gun.  Slim and very comfortable to wear. Easy to shoot with any 9mm self-defense load... by this I mean very manageable recoil and the sites come back on target with very little effort from the part of the shooter. More than accurate from a gun this size out to 25 yards. Fantastic quality and exceptional reliability with all ammunition has been my experience. Decent trigger. Easy to field strip. Smith & Wesson hit a homerun with their Shield line of carry guns.

I believe they are also available in 40 Smith & Wesson and 45 ACP.

Ginny Hinny and I both had Shields, but we didn’t really care for them - they just didn’t suit us.  The flex of the plastic put us off, and the feel of the trigger was just “meh.”   She went to a S&W 3913, while I went to a Sig P938 because I favor pocket carry.   If I’m carrying OWB, I go with a S&W 5903 or a 327 Night Guard. 

I thought the trigger on the LC9s was excellent for the price point, but the plastic didn’t feel as good as even the Shield.  If you’re considering picking one of those, I strongly recommend finding a gun shop that will rent you these to try at their range.   Or else find someone who has both, and shoot a few rounds through them. 

Had a shield upgraded model with porting.  First time at range failed to go into battery with 2 different types of ammo.  Same ammo functioned just fine in glock 43 and sig938.  Shield was stripped and cleaned prior.

to me the shield felt cheaper than the glock 43 or 938.  I sold the shield after that one session and still have the glock.  Haven’t tried the ruger sorry, but I am not a glock fanatic but it is a very solidly built and refined concealed carry piece.

I love my 9S.  It's my carry gun.   Well balanced.  Compact.  I've put a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems.  I'm very happy with it.

Opinions?

A few years ago I felt the urge to acquire a sub compact 9mm to replace/accompany my S&W J-frame revolver.  The gun shop I went to had a great selection.  Ruger LC9, S&W Shield, Springfield XD, Sig 9something, Taurus something, Beretta Px4, Colt Defender, Kimber Solo, Kel-Tec and probably a few others I can’t remember.  I was able to handle all, dry fire all, and see how they felt in my hand.  

You want to know what I walked out of there with?  

A Glock 26.  You all can beat me with sticks now, but when it comes to subcompact 9mms I really like Glocks.

Heya, UB.

Calam, asked me to weigh in.  Don't know if I want to do that with all the Christmas and New Year's feasting...

Anywho, I've sold the S&W Shield, Ruger LC9S and Glock 43 at Ye Olde Gonne Shoppe. All are fine weapons, with a good record of reliability.  However, my favorite would be the LC9S Pro. In my mitts it feels and points the best, especially with the longer mags sold by Ruger and ProMag. I've shot Calam's LC9S (Pinker) without a problem, and I've heard nothing but good reports from my customers.

The Shield is a fine weapon.  Heavier and more expensive than the Ruger.  They do sell a ported version with a laser and light that is just sweet.  A couple of customers reported problems that S&W took care of immediately. If you like the Fotay and the 45 rounds, the Shield is your huckleberry.  You'll want the Shield 2.0 if you go S&W.

So, what do I carry?  The Glock 43. It has one less round and is a bit bigger and significantly heavier than the Ruger. And it's the most expensive of all three. However, it's a Glock.  It feels, handles and shoots like a Glock, with the same manual of arms. I've had Glocks since 1987 BC, with thousands of rounds and hours of training under my belt, and I'm just too damn stupid to retrain myself.   

I strongly prefer carry weapons without a safety.  If you need the weapon, YOU NEED IT NOW.  There will be less than zero time to fumble with a safety. Get a good inside the waistband (IWB) holster. I like the Alien Gear Cross-Tuck 3.0 for a good, basic, un-gunhipsterish holster.  

Hey, lookit dat!  Change back from my two cents!

Shield in 9mm.

Have a CT LASER w/light on mine.

The Shield 9 is small enough for pocket carry.

The finish on the Shield is VERY wear/rust resistant.

Many LEO's today carry the Shield as a 'second-gun' on duty.

OLG

I'm not positive on these two models .

But if they are like their little brothers .

The LCP and the Bodyguard. 

I switch to the Bodyguard myself.

Because it is more like a true double action revolver .

The hammer strikes every pull of the trigger. 

Where the LCP only strikes one time , and if it don't cycle the slide , You need to re-cock 

the slide yourself to cock the wepion .

Well, the only one i have owned was the shield.  I did not get along with it at all.  I have weak wrists and never did get along with it.  Stovepipe rounds, inaccurate, and recoil with sight retention was not good.  Sarge went on a 1911 kick and had purchased the s&w series in 9 & 45.  I got to shoot through all of them and i actually shot the best in a double stack .45 and the 3913.  The 3913 is now my pdw.  A bit too big to carry concealed but i have a beautiful leather holster courtesy of sarge also.  He keeps me well armed. ❤️  My 1/2 cent. I have found that people either love the shield or dislike it.  Its kinda like boots, people seem to either get along with justins or ariats but not both.  Its a preference and not a dig on the brand. 

I have a S&W Shield 9mm.  I like it.  Simple to use.  Easy to carry and I like the fit in my hands.  Easy to strip and clean.  Have over a thousand rounds through it without a singe fail.  In reasonably rapid fire, I generally can keep a 6 inch group at 7 yards. 

My S&W Shield in 9mm.

da8Jel.jpg

HA9E98.jpg

Housed in inexpensive but perfectly fitting Galco IWB holster. Galco B129L.

Small package. 

20171231_191847-1.jpg

20171231_192016-1.jpg

I've had both and they were okay. Both shot good but were just a little too big for carry for ME.  I found my little Colt Mustang Pocketlite to fit my needs much better. I'm not recommending it I just love it!;)

I've tried all 3 (LC9S and M&P Shield) and ended up with a Glock 43 just because it felt better in my hand and a bit more concealable IMO than the Shield. The Ruger and Shield are excellent, my decision was mostly subjective. Having said that, I've put some time and a few dollars (about $80) into an improved trigger on the Glock as I didn't care for the original (sharp edges that kept pinching my finger). It now has a flat trigger and has a cleaner break after the slack has been taken up.

The Ruger trigger is sweet, but too light for me for a C&C IMO. I found it easy to get multiple discharges when only one was intended. The Shield trigger is a bit mushier than the other two IMO, but that's probably splitting hairs.

If you're new to 9mm sub compacts, you might find them on the "snappy" side regarding recoil

In the end Bob, of these three guns, it comes down to what feels best in your hand. Hope you have a chance to fire them before buying. You won't go wrong with any of them.

Good luck!

11 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If you're new to 9mm sub compacts, you might find them on the "snappy" side regarding recoil

I’m not.

I have carried a shield in 9mm for over two years now and love it. I put a set of Trijicon HD Night sites on it and boy they are awesome. So easy to find in a dark room, and I have never had a failure with any 9mm ammo. I use Sig Critical Defense and have four extra mags for it. Never leave home without it.   Happy New Year Y'all!

Cheers  Hoss C.

I have both an LC9 and two Shields.  The LC9 has a long trigger pull like a double action revolver.  I carried both. I prefer the Shield.  I took a training class using the shield.  During the class I fired 400 rounds.  It was all combat shooting.  I pulled two rounds out of the 10 ring.

Bob,

I have never fired a Shield or an LC9. I did handle them and compare them to the Glick 43 and the Remington R51.

I bought the Remington as I liked the feel of it better and it had the lowest bore axis (I think I am describing that right - the barrel sits lower to the hand - less felt muzzle rise)  than the other 3 and the R51 isn’t polymer. I haven’t regretted my choice. BUT, the R51 has the least amount of aftermarket support.

Just telling you my observations on the 2 you asked about versus my selection process. 

My friend got the LC9s with the crimson trace laser grip. He really likes it and when I shot it was a lot of fun. The tolerance level was very tight. I tried to reload 125gr for him and we did not even get a first shot. Would not feed all the way and locked up. Got it apart and I tried different OAL on the bullet with no luck. All would feed and fire flawless in my S&W 59 & 39 which are so old like a military 1911 45. Anyway, he could fire factory ammo without a problem. My brass was every bit of 20+ years old, so I ordered new Starline and loaded them up to the same OAL as the factory, which also I had loaded up reloads the same OAL that did not work. And yes, they fired flawless all 100. Have not reloaded the new brass yet, will be interesting if they work. But, the tolerance must be extremely tight, at least on this gun. Maybe when a few thousand have been through it will work. Other than that, a nice gun.

I'm an old-timer and sort of grew up with the 1911 in .45 acp. A few years ago I bought Kimber in .45, fell in love with it. But it is heavy and sort of bulky for CC. Bought  Kimber Micro 1911 in 9mm. now my preferred carry gun. BUT I have an LCP that fits perfectly in the back pocket of my Wranglers if nothing else works.

Himself

I wanted to finally get something smaller for carry, especially for summer and wearing shorts. I figured I would end up with a J frame S&W because I hadn't liked the smaller semiautos that I'd  tried. A couple of buddies got Shields when they were pretty new and I really liked them at the range. Some guns are just too little to grip well but the shield feels great.

My wife and I have both used them in BUG matches successfully. 

Additionally, I don't find the Shield to be too large or too heavy to easily carry IWB during the summer months when wearing much lighter clothing. I'm certainly not wearing lightweight nylon jogging shorts (because I stopped running years ago and I look ridiculous in them) but it works great with your typical cargo shorts and a decent belt and an untucked t-shirt or button up. If you think the Shield is printing at all under that lighter clothing try the shorter magazine. Makes a lot of difference in making it totally disappear.

Just adding on in case some may not be aware. The Ruger LC9 is a totally different gun than the LC9S and LC9S Pro. LC9 is hammer fired where the others are striker fired. The triggers on the S and S Pro are much improved over the LC9. The S model and its predecessor have a manual safety and the S also has a magazine interlock. The S Pro comes without the interlock and manual safety.

19 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Just adding on in case some may not be aware. The Ruger LC9 is a totally different gun than the LC9S and LC9S Pro. LC9 is hammer fired where the others are striker fired. The triggers on the S and S Pro are much improved over the LC9. The S model and its predecessor have a manual safety and the S also has a magazine interlock. The S Pro comes without the interlock and manual safety.

Yeah, the Pro is the one I’m considering along with the Shield.

Archived