SASS Wire Forum

The return of the Marlin 1894 .357

Houston CAS

Good on them if they are getting back into lever action, pistol caliber offerings.  I don't think the one shown in the link will get into the CAS game,  just too many negatives.  Plastic stock, short barrel, ghost ring, large loop lever,  these things just don't fit.  Maybe they will make something for the cowboy market.

Just my opinion!

Blackfoot

Howdy,

Stainless action, lever and other bits.

Barrel? Boarderline 10 rounds of 38s?

Use a blue mag tube?  Find some nice

wood...just too bad the starting price is 1100, outchhhh.

Best

CR

4 hours ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

Good on them if they are getting back into lever action, pistol caliber offerings.  I don't think the one shown in the link will get into the CAS game,  just too many negatives.  Plastic stock, short barrel, ghost ring, large loop lever,  these things just don't fit.  Maybe they will make something for the cowboy market.

Just my opinion!

Blackfoot

Look at the photo of the catalog. There last two are SASS ready.

4 minutes ago, Houston CAS said:

Look at the photo of the catalog. There last two are SASS ready.

Maybe SASS legal would be a better way to put it.  SASS-ready might be pushing it a bit ;)

Even the old ones needed a fair amount of work to be suited for SASS.

I talked to the Marlin guy at the NRA convention in Louisville last year about the availability of the 1894 in 357 Magnum.  He only said "soon".   His calender must be slow. 

Obviously,  they have targeted the "tacticool" market with this model.  I'm glad, I can spend money on something else. 

3 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I didn't know they quit making them I just thought the quality rolled off the cliff. 

Howdy Junky.

This is what I was told from a Marlin (Remington) employee a couple years back:

Remington stopped producing the .38/.357 for a short period of time after their initial production 1894 rifles were being returned to the factory because they would not function.   This was about 4 years ago, if I remember my time frame correctly.

Anyhow,  2 summers ago (summer of 2016), Remington offered their employees a GREAT deal on the 1894 Marlin in .38/.357 with the information that those rifles were now, and I quote,.....  "RIGHT".   

Some employees purchased those rifles.  Those rifles were some of the same rifles that had been returned the previous year and the Marlin/Remington people thought they had finally fixed the problems.

WELL....... one of those rifles ended up in my hands, directly from a Marlin/Remington employee and it was nearly worthless.   I noted 9 QA issues with it and informed the owner.   I also decided to work em all out.   The owner now owns a super nice, slick and fast 1894 rifle.

But here is one of the problems that really irritated me:   It wouldn't even feed the 1st round because it had the Marlin Jam issue.   There is NO WAY this particular rifle was tested at the factory or else someone would have quickly discovered that it wouldn't feed.

THEY (Marlin/Rem gunsmiths) didn't even know how to set the timing correct on them.

In or around November and December 2016, a marketing engineer at Marlin contacted me about helping them with advice on how to remedy their issues.   I informed him of those 9 QA issues I had with that particular rifle and listed each one in an email to him.

With the permission of that employee who owned the rifle, I told that Marketing Engineer where he could see that rifle and examine it.

I never heard back from him nor any other official representative of Marlin/Remington.

I hope this new style isn't just a 'smoke screen'.   It would be nice if they finally managed to make a nice 1894 again in popular calibers.

..........Widder

Howdy,

I bet there are some folks in the marlin company who like SASS and some

who don't care.  At $1100 it sure seems they should make a match ready rifle.

Just a few years back I remember selling a match ready marlin 357 for $350.

And the buyer was haggling like I was holding him up.

Buyers should be getting excellent rifles for $1100.

Its outrageous they are in need of anything.

'Marlin fix' was well documented ten years ago.

These marlins are not just sports equipment.

Some people who never heard of SASS may buy and expect

these guns to defend their very lives.

I cant imagine why marlin can do what a number of private

smiths do and have been doing for years.

See ktgunsmith. com for Rusty Marlins fix and check the date.

Best

CR

Read the stories in the links:)

Click here--> http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/12/28/new-marlin-lever-guns/

Near the bottom of this first link this is posted:  "The Marlin website has not yet been updated to show the new models."

And here--> https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-/20-484405/?

21 hours ago, Lou Graham, # 26112 said:

Maybe SASS legal would be a better way to put it.  SASS-ready might be pushing it a bit ;)

Even the old ones needed a fair amount of work to be suited for SASS.

Bingo!!

Blackfoot:rolleyes:

Since I shoot black powder and love my Marlin cowboy comp that I've had since 2003, I would love to have a stainless steel one, but $1,100 is a little expensive.  Hope that is just list price while in reality it will go for much less.  Hope Marlin has fixed all the "Marlin problems" though so you don't have to buy replacement parts and get someone to fix them before they are reliable.  Must be able to load 10 in .357/.38 though.  When I started in 2003, we often had 9 shot rifle runs, but in the last few years I haven't seen any runs less than 10. Keep us informed when you hear further news or actually see them available.

Well I bought a Marlin (Remington) made limited edition 45lc

1895-Limited-Edition_1.jpg

for WB.  I have feed a bunch of 45lc through it and even 45 Schofield.  Certainly feels much better than a 1894 made Remlin from a few years back.  Not quite up to my JM marked 38 CBC, but that has a lot more rounds.  So maybe Remington is finally getting things .... well better.

$1,100? That's MSRP. Go ahead and just knock $200 off that for big box stores and maybe $300 for others.

Remington and many other companies have taken a page from the "Tech" manufacturers and allowed the buyer (forced the unknowing buyer) to do their Quality Assurance for them. This would be fine if they had QUALITY CONTROL to begin with, but they did not. A good example of this was the earlier, made in New York, Marlins and the Remington R51 (Gen 1) pistols. I now own a Gen 2 R51 and I think they have learned their lesson but before I would buy a Marlin 1894 I would want to see proof from Remlin that they did the due diligence. I have owned 3 different Marlins, all JM, and they are wonderful rifles. Remington did the Marlin name and the consumer a disservice when they first, moved the manufacturing operation to Illion NY and then built the Marlins on new machinery with unskilled labor and then foisted them upon loyal and new buyers with no QC, or dang little QC. 

Now, would I buy a new Marlin? I just might but only after I got a warm and fuzzy feeling they learned from their prior mistakes. I know I love my Remington R51 and when I had a magazine issue with my new gun Remington jumped through hoops to remedy that and sent me new mags with the promise of replacement springs for my original mags when they become available (they have to have them available as spare parts). I truly hope that they put that much support in their Marlins. If they do, I would consider buying one. How would one know if they ard willing to support their products? By the warranty they offer and I would call them and talk to them. My R51 has a lifetime warranty. If they offer that on the Marlins it might mean that they are serious. If you look at the current Marlin warranty info online I would say that they are only partially serious. Too much "lawyerese" for me to take them seriously. https://www.marlinfirearms.com/resources/warranty

They have a long row to hoe.

Well the way I saw it was I had to pay more for the older Marlin 1894's I bought to get the quality and because they stopped making them so the price obviously went up as you would expect. 

If they want the same price for a new one but the quality is the same as the Remmies (that no one would touch for a lot less) it might not work well for them. 

Seems like if they could make the JM models properly for under $500 then there better at least be equal quality if they're going to double the price for the "new" ones. I might have to watch some other fish eat the bait before I strike. 

On 12/31/2017 at 10:55 AM, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Junky.

This is what I was told from a Marlin (Remington) employee a couple years back:

Remington stopped producing the .38/.357 for a short period of time after their initial production 1894 rifles were being returned to the factory because they would not function.   This was about 4 years ago, if I remember my time frame correctly.

Anyhow,  2 summers ago (summer of 2016), Remington offered their employees a GREAT deal on the 1894 Marlin in .38/.357 with the information that those rifles were now, and I quote,.....  "RIGHT".   

Some employees purchased those rifles.  Those rifles were some of the same rifles that had been returned the previous year and the Marlin/Remington people thought they had finally fixed the problems.

WELL....... one of those rifles ended up in my hands, directly from a Marlin/Remington employee and it was nearly worthless.   I noted 9 QA issues with it and informed the owner.   I also decided to work em all out.   The owner now owns a super nice, slick and fast 1894 rifle.

But here is one of the problems that really irritated me:   It wouldn't even feed the 1st round because it had the Marlin Jam issue.   There is NO WAY this particular rifle was tested at the factory or else someone would have quickly discovered that it wouldn't feed.

THEY (Marlin/Rem gunsmiths) didn't even know how to set the timing correct on them.

In or around November and December 2016, a marketing engineer at Marlin contacted me about helping them with advice on how to remedy their issues.   I informed him of those 9 QA issues I had with that particular rifle and listed each one in an email to him.

With the permission of that employee who owned the rifle, I told that Marketing Engineer where he could see that rifle and examine it.

I never heard back from him nor any other official representative of Marlin/Remington.

I hope this new style isn't just a 'smoke screen'.   It would be nice if they finally managed to make a nice 1894 again in popular calibers.

..........Widder

My bet-Those 2 no longer work for Remmy. -_-

OLG

Howdy,

The sad thing is a proper Marlin can run so well.

So much potential.

I hope the company bigshots would try out a tuned .357.

Maybe they can check out utube?

Maybe?

Please?

Best

CR

Archived