SASS Wire Forum

97 and squibs

Volga Vigilante

Last night while reloading I came up with a question on a 97.  A year ago or so we were having some shells that went pooofff  not BANG.  Wads always cleared the barrel when checked, but resulted in several misses for the boys.  Someone mentioned that a plus to a SXS  was ease of checking the barrels and only using one if needed.  My question on a 97 is, after a bad round, could a  person pull a 38 round off their belt and drop through the action and verify the barrel clear if it slides out, then continue with the 97?

Thanks to all,

Volga Vigilante

If I'm the TO, I'd have you put the gun down. If I'm wrong and there is no obstruction, you get a reshoot. Furthermore I'm not fond of dropping a live round into the barrel and action of a shotgun. That's what squib rods are for. Take the misses and move on, you won't save any time checking and clearing the barrel on the line.

If you're that concerned about faulty rounds, you ought to review your reloading procedures first and foremost.  

In the case of a suspected squib, the CRO/TO will instruct the shooter to make the firearm safe and continue with the next firearm.  If the barrel is later determined to be clear, the shooter will receive a reshoot.

SHB p.11

also REF: RO2 p.8

There is no provision in the rules for clearing a suspected squib "on the clock", either by dropping a R/P round or running a rod down the barrel, or by actually blowing the barrel clear (...yes, there used to be shooters who would clear a wad by doing that...:o)

More trap range but applies:

A friend had a squib which left a wad in the barrel of a 12 ga. He loaded and fired another round and now has mangled fingers on his left hand. Another shooter next to me has a squib and loaded another round as I shouted stop. A wooden dowel down the barrel pushed out the wad. So what is your hand worth and what is the gun worth?

If a TO stopped me from shooting one barrel of the sxs after a squib, I reckon Id ask for a reshoot,,,

with my skb I can actually blow a wad out from the breech end,,,,,,  

and yes I was the one who wud use the old trap shooters trick of blowing down the muzzle of my 97 to clear a wad....   after that was frowned upon i carried a fake 45-110 round and wud throw that down the muzzle for a squib,,,  and on one occasion, with the 97, had a squib, but I thot I had jacked the shell out without firing it and not hearing the TO tell me to stop, I continued, and the air in front of the good round blew the wad out without instance..

The reloading issue has been resolved,  poooff free for awhile now, and I have always thanked the TO for stopping the boys from the next round,  much rather a few misses than the possibilities if something is stuck.  When checked that the barrel was clear the boys got to reshoot.   I found it was funny that the boys always got the bad rounds and my always went BANG when grabbed from the same box, they didn't find as much humor in it as I did. 

I would not try to just bow the wad out with the next round, I was wondering about checking if the barrel was clear.

Just sitting at the bench last night and was wondering.

Thanks, 

Volga Vigilante

There is also this to consider for those who insist on attempting to clear a squib mid-stage:

Cease Fire” or “STOP!” – The command called out by the CRO/TO or any witnessing Range Officer/Match Official at any time an unsafe condition develops.  The shooter must stop shooting and stop moving immediately.  Willful failure to comply to a Cease Fire or Stop command given by, and while under the control of the CRO/TO will result in a Match Disqualification penalty assessment.  

SHB p.18

you can't clear a squib from a sg even if done so safely without breaking any rules?

ShyAnnie,

I don't think that is what PWB is trying to convey.

There are 2 different situations in this thread:   

1. clearing a squib in the SG 

2. obeying CRO/TO commands

I think PWB is reminding ALL of US the importance of obeying CRO/TO commands while we are on the stage.   And in the context of this thread, its dealing with squibs and the manner in which they are handled.

Hope you are doing well and had a good Christmas.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

you can't clear a squib from a sg even if done so safely without breaking any rules?

SQUIBS

In the event a Chief Range Officer suspects a squib load has been encountered, an immediate command shall be given to the shooter to make that firearm safe and continue on with the next procedure.  The CRO will allow the shooter to make the suspect firearm safe preferably on a nearby and appropriate horizontal surface (box, table, straw bale, ground, etc.), or if necessary, assist the shooter by allowing them to "hand off" the firearm.  Multiple squibs by a shooter will be cause for the Timer Operator to request the shooter change ammo.

RO2 p.8

The boys and I run 97s, so this is a curiosity question.  If a SXS shooter has a bad round in say the left barrel, can the shooter continue to shoot the right barrel of the gun?  I've seen it done with a firing pin issue on one barrel, what about  a possible blockage?

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Volga Vigilante said:

The boys and I run 97s, so this is a curiosity question.  If a SXS shooter has a bad round in say the left barrel, can the shooter continue to shoot the right barrel of the gun?  I've seen it done with a firing pin issue on one barrel, what about  a possible blockage?

Thanks

Probably not for that stage. Almost any decent TO is going to stop that shooter from continuing to TRY using that plugged SxS... in the interest of  the shooters safety as well as the safety of the TO and everyone else nearby! Once the TO stops the shooter, that firearm needs to be corrected before the next stage. A broken firing pin in a SxS doesn't pose a safety issue like an obstructed barrel does proceeding through the remainder of a match. If the barrel obstruction can't be removed, then that gun is done for the remainder of the match IMHO. I imagine there isn't a Match Director, Posse Marshal  or TO that will let it continue to be used! As TO, I'm  there to assist the shooter, and sometimes protect them from themselves!

Remember this a gun sport ! ;)

If I think there is a squib on any firearm, and I'm running the timer, I yell "Squib, put it down".  If the shooter is hesitant, I'll say "Put it down, if the barrel is clear, you get a reshoot".  Any more talking about continuing to shoot the gun is a problem.  Any attempt to continue to shoot a firearm, SxS or not will get a "Cease Fire" and a MDQ.  I can't tell which barrel is the obstructed barrel or how a single trigger SxS is going to only shoot the clear barrel, so it has to go down. 

clearing a squib and showing it to the TO isn't making it safe?   I have never seen a sxs grounded for a squib in one barrel,,,   they've always been allowed to continue by loading ONLY the clear barrel..

Well,

Do not understand the logic behind not allowing a SxS shooter to continue shooting after a possible squib, if one of the barrels is clear(or possibly both barrels). It isn't difficult to check the barrels of a SxS compared to other shotguns.  Is this just a matter of keeping the procedure for a squib the same for all shotguns so as not to create an advantage for SxS shooters ?

as the shooter, if I have a possible squib in a sxs, I blow thru the barrels to check if I have a squib,  if it's clear I use both,, if one is blocked I have two options that I use, one is the blow the wad out from the breech,,  the other is to continue as a single shot,,  that is how I make it safe, and every other sxs shooter I've ever seen have a squib,,,  tho I'm the only one I've seen blow the wad out,  get lots of kudos for that,,,

as the TO watching, I am in a position that I can see the barrels too,  and take command of the situation by telling the shooter to check,,  if one is clear they are told to use that barrel only,,,, have NEVER had an issue...

15 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SQUIBS

In the event a Chief Range Officer suspects a squib load has been encountered, an immediate command shall be given to the shooter to make that firearm safe and continue on with the next procedure.  The CRO will allow the shooter to make the suspect firearm safe preferably on a nearby and appropriate horizontal surface (box, table, straw bale, ground, etc.), or if necessary, assist the shooter by allowing them to "hand off" the firearm.  Multiple squibs by a shooter will be cause for the Timer Operator to request the shooter change ammo.

RO2 p.8

RO2 does not make an exception for shotguns in case of a squib.  I'll follow the RO2 manual.

Archived