SASS Wire Forum

S&B Primers all sizes - UPDATE 1st post

Yusta B.

On sale at Cabelas - free shipping over $99 - excluding Hazmat.

Sale has ended .........

I use a ton of them, mainly for my LR, SR and LP. Never had a failure. 

At our loadings switching primer brands has never been an issue for me. Even between magnum and standard.

They are all I use anymore. Work great with the holy black. Have yet to have a ftf with them. I use lr, lp & sp. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

How do S&B primers compare to Federal, Winchester, et al.  for reliability?  Any issues reloading with these when a load recipe calls for one of the other maker’s of primers?

They’re very good primers, I’ve used about 20k of them and never a FTF. The recipe will work with S and B also.

I've used over 5000 small primers and they all go bang.

Including in my tuned 73.

they have them in store near me,,, $20 a brick,   and cheddite 209s for $26   I smell a trip coiming 

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

they have them in store near me,,, $20 a brick,   and cheddite 209s for $26   I smell a trip coiming 

Go quickly - they bounce the price up & down a lot.......

16 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

How do S&B primers compare to Federal, Winchester, et al.  for reliability?  Any issues reloading with these when a load recipe calls for one of the other maker’s of primers?

They are a NATO supplier-S&B makes very good ammo and components.

OLG

the local Cabelas didn't have any, so had to order,,, with haz mat too,,  but ordered 10k and 2 k cheddite 209s for under $300  

And the quality is better than Federals

How soft are they compared to Federals?  Federals have been the only thing that I have found that will ignite reliably with the wife's and my short stroked revolvers, with light springs and both our Codymatics.

I would be great to find another brand of primers that would work well.

my experience has been that they actually ignite easier. Buy some and try them out!

28 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

How soft are they compared to Federals?  Federals have been the only thing that I have found that will ignite reliably with the wife's and my short stroked revolvers, with light springs and both our Codymatics.

My son uses them in his Jimmy Spurs NMVs & his Cody '73. No complaints. '73s are easy to adjust some more hammer spring if needed.

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

They are most defiantly harder than Federals. Examining the primer hits under magnification they look like there a hardness of Winchesters. My results are like what Yusta B stated. My Jimmy Spur Vaqueros and lightened 73 have no problem setting them off. I would recommend them...

I bought 5,000 large pistol S&B to use in Starline 44-40 Brass.  I had probably 100 or so that didn't go Bang for me.. in my 73 Cody-matic.  Everything else I used them in for large pistol worked flawlessly.  Switched to Federal in the rifle and have no problems.  

3 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

I bought 5,000 large pistol S&B to use in Starline 44-40 Brass.  I had probably 100 or so that didn't go Bang for me.. in my 73 Cody-matic.  Everything else I used them in for large pistol worked flawlessly.  Switched to Federal in the rifle and have no problems.  

I've had trouble getting the S & B primers to seat in Starline 44-40 brass; the primer pockets seem too small for those primers. Wonder if it's the 44-40 brass instead of the primers, as they seem to work  fine in 44 Russian and/or 45's

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I've had trouble getting the S & B primers to seat in Starline 44-40 brass; the primer pockets seem too small for those primers. Wonder if it's the 44-40 brass instead of the primers, as they seem to work  fine in 44 Russian and/or 45's

I have wondered the same thing.  Another shooter using them in a 44-40 as well had trouble with reliability of S&B primers.  He thought they seat into primer pocket further then other primers... But I honestly don't have a clue.

The 44-40 is my main match rifle. The only primers that I've had trouble with are federals. In the last 6 months I've probably had 5 or 6 ftf's. None of the S&B primers have failed in rifle or pistols. All of my CAS guns have lightened springs.  As far as seating primers in 44-40 brass there are some brands of brass that are more difficult to get the brass seated properly.

KR

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I find the SP primers to be a little tight in new cases. I think I read where they are about .001" or so larger than U.S. made primers.

Had several FTF in Marlin 1894 with one piece firing pin. Two Vaqueros fired those same FTF rounds a few minutes later. Both revolvers have non-stock springs, probably 18  or19lb.  Next time I had FTF in the Marlin I didn't lever the round out but just re-cocked the hammer and got a fire. Maybe I had pulled the trigger on the FTFs a little too soon - before the cartridge was seated fully in the chamber, and got a soft hit.

In any case; the S&B are distinctly harder than Federal 150s. They show no deformation/flattening of the firing pin hit in the primer while the Fed 150s show  mild flattening from pushback even with 200gr moderate power 45s.

I'll use up my remaining S&Bs in my Vaqueros or in rifle loads that I'm not trying to shoot rapidly. 

Archived