SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Chronicle Online - NO MORE :o

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Pards,

In the January 2018 The Cowboy Chronicle magazine,  in the From the Editor - SKINNY'S SOAPBOX, Skinny, SASS #7361 wrote about the demise of the on-line digital version of The Cowboy Chronicle.  He provided several reasons for it discontinuation.

He briefly alluded to the need to reduce match reports and article submissions to 1,000 words or less, along with a convoluted detail of photo submissions. :blink:

No longer appearing will be the comic book reprints, which may :D or may not :unsure: be sorely missed by our members.

What wasn't mentioned was whether there were going to be any other topics/issues being discontinued (which only appeared in the digital version and not in the print version) on a regular basis, such as the New SASS Members list.

There was an earlier THREAD related to the Chronical (below); however, it did not address this issue.

image.png.16a8df970f9c21071a42bca10aee8947.png

Until the Chronicle returns to a forum that can be used as recruitment tool  - Good riddance.

We need:

Articles about guns and equipment.  

Articles about people and events.

Articles about the GAME of SASS.

Articles and Tips from Champions.

Interviews with industry leads.

And we need an active you tube channel tie in, with webcasts and interviews.

What we do not need is filler:

Comic reprints.

If we need a comic, then solicit one from the membership.

Politics.

I play this game to escape real life; not to have real life intrude on this.

Wild West Arts.

Not gun spinning, fast draw, whip cracking or basket weaving.

The wild west arts are not SASS and are simply confusing to folks looking in from the outside. 

Shorter match reports are fine, but likely if you didn't attend a match; you probably don't care anyways.

I would rather see some match solicitation.  Let club officers brag up their upcoming match - lay out reasons why I would want to pack up and attend a given match.

There is so much that could be done.

And with time and a budget; so much that should be done.

But continuing to do what has failed in the past is a waste of everyones time.

What creeker said +1

FM

The monthly paper edition was a useful recruiting too. The online version was useless. Sadly, I even stopped downloading it. It simply no longer had articles and photographs of interest to me. 

Yeah why have anything related to the Old West, John Wayne or gunfighters saving the townies? What we need is:

Articles on clicking revolvers in the basement for hours instead of training your bird dog. 

Working up 105 grain main match loads.

3rd Gen or Super Short?

Articles on multi tapping 2 yard targets and how to group the targets even closer together.

Having a pseudo black gun psyche in a game that used to be old west or western movie theme because ya really can't play those black gun games but kinda like that mindset...

And now that there is a new administration we don't need gun rights advocates wasting print either!!

Ah Hell...

How about a lot more on mounted shooting 

1 hour ago, Cinch said:

Yeah why have anything related to the Old West, John Wayne or gunfighters saving the townies? What we need is:

Articles on clicking revolvers in the basement for hours instead of training your bird dog. 

3rd Gen or Super Short?

Articles on multi tapping 2 yard targets and how to group the targets even closer together.

Having a pseudo black gun psyche in a game that used to be old west or western movie theme because ya really can't play those black gun games but kinda like that mindset...

And now that there is a new administration we don't need gun rights advocates wasting print either!!

Ah Hell...

Yeah, it would be a shame to generate content that might benefit and interest someone who plays this specific game.

If you look at ANY other newsletter for any other game or sport - their focus is ALWAYS sport first.  

I have nothing against John Wayne;  but he was only an actor; not a founder of our game... 

Not a participant in our game.

Contextually, did he have impact on participants in our game?

Of course.

But his biography and achievements have been well covered in many publications before ours.

So unless you are discussing him within the context of our game; he really doesn't  belong in a publication that is supposed to be about our specific game.

Black gun protocols within cowboy action would be an interesting article and discussion.

Compare and contrast between our guns/ skillsets and mindsets might build bridges between disciplines.

But until we cease generating content that defines us, the game and the participants as more interested in reliving a history that never really existed than furthering a competitive game. 

We should not be shocked that we are viewed as dinosaurs.

Cowboy Action Shooting pretty much defines CAS or is supposed to...

John Wayne/metaphor, one could use Wild Bunch movie? 

At least there were four good articles mentioned that could be reconcocted each month and mounted shooting.

7 hours ago, Cinch said:

3rd Gen or Super Short?

Ah Hell...

You have the start of any article right there, submit it. Then there will be rebuttal   articles. You will have caused a snowball affect helping to add substance to the chronicle. Genius

I think Creeker should be the editor-in-chief! What do ya'll think? Excellent reply Creeker!!!;)

Tried the on-line when it first came out, did not care for it. Now when it comes I just delete, don't bother to open. Paper is for me, just my choice and what works for me. 

Our "sport" is more of a lifestyle based on the Old West, both imaginary (Movies and TV) and real. Doing things electronically may be convenient and cheap but t takes away from the Old West atmosphere our game is based on. I loved the monthly old-timey newspaper, and each issue I got was donated to the V.A. hospital or a local barbershop. I do not like the electronic Chronical, and rarely read it. I do not like the modern electronic scorekeeping. nor the electronic anything that takes away from the Old West atmosphere.  I was born 76  years ago in San Angelo Texas, so I'm sort of Old West myself.  Modern and convenient and up-to-date take away from our Old West game!

The O'Meara Himself

Creeker is dead on target. I used the monthly paper chronicles as a recruiting tool at gun shows. The online version is no help at all. The articles in the quarterly need to vastly improve and the comics should never have been there.  This is a big issue for SASS, and they have to correct it, otherwise the paid memberships will continue to sink. Happy New Year to all! Montana Greg SASS #12656.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think Creeker should be the editor-in-chief! What do ya'll think? Excellent reply Creeker!!!;)

I think that Skinny does a great job. It like most "jobs" in the game is a thankless one also leaving yourself open to criticism. I sure would not want the gig. 

22 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

I think that Skinny does a great job. It like most "jobs" in the game is a thankless one also leaving yourself open to criticism. I sure would not want the gig. 

+1.  For all those who don't like the content but like to gripe remember something important.  Skinny cannot print what he does not have.

19 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Plus 1000.

I am making a commitment RIGHT here and NOW.

To offer my assistance to support Skinny and the Chronicle thru content and ideas for content offerings.  

I can no longer complain without offering solution.

Who's with me?

7 minutes ago, Montana Greg said:

Skinny does a great job, but he needs a new structure. If we go back to the monthly printed paper, I will toss in my hat to help.

Actually this is sort of backwards.  What we should be saying is "I will toss my hat in the ring" if that "will help take us back to a montly printed paper."

The Chronicle was best years ago, before it became a monthly, and many of the articles, especially covering firearms, were new (anyone remember Bob Munden's multi page article on how he did his action jobs?).  That period coincided with the spurt in membership and there were many folks willing to write articles for the paper.  Given that everyone is a volunteer and only some folks have the expertise and experience to write well, it's not too difficult to understand that as time progressed, the content was reduced.  Some of the ideas set forth above, I believe are good ones, but someone has to step up. 

The Chronicle went to a digital edition because the price to print a monthly was too.  Some of the comments above seem to have forgotten that.  Skinny has done a fine job given what he started with.  It's up to the members of SASS to fix the problems, since we're all in this together.  

Just my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Montana Greg said:

Helpful comment Larsen, glad to see you volunteering to help.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean, but I have written numerous articles for the Chronicle and will continue to do so.

The digital issues will still be published, it's only going from a totally online publication to a hard copy quarterly, which it had been doing anyway, and an online copy.

Frankly I prefer the digital, don't have all those dam papers lying around.

Just received the January 2018 issues and after skimming thru it, it looks really good. I'll be reading it this weekend. One this for sure, it more about shooting than previous issues that seemed to be at least 1/3 costuming pictures, which I really couldn't care less about!

IMO, the Chronicle will only get better when we as members decide to make it better. Skinny, the editor can only print articles that are submitted to him. The comics that he’s been adding towards the back have been for filler content for the most part and when those are gone the Chronicle is going to be “Skinny” pun intended. If we want to see articles about Creekers interests or our interests someone is going to have to write the articles. Larsen Pettifogger, Capt. Baylor all write excellent articles but I’m pretty sure they suffer from writers block on occasion and just can’t figure out what to write about, that’s where we better all step up to the plate and submit some articles because they aren’t going to get written by themselves

I’m going to write a four or five article series about building a roll top gun cart and I can already hear the complaints because I’ve already been told by some pards that people don’t care how I build my gun carts and don’t want to read about it in the Chronicle. So if you want content in the Chronicle that is better than a story about gun cart building you best start writing because I’m looking to have my article in for the next quarterly issue.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Just received the January 2018 issues and after skimming thru it, it looks really good. I'll be reading it this weekend. One this for sure, it more about shooting than previous issues that seemed to be at least 1/3 costuming pictures, which I really couldn't care less about!

I like costume pictures. Is 1/3 too much to ask.

40 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm not starting a big fuss, BUT I joined SASS to shoot, not spend $100's of dollars on costumes. The January issues was a great issue IMHO. There was one story about costuming, the rest was mostly about shooting. Loved it!!!

43 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

For some us the answer is YES!!!

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

IMO, the Chronicle will only get better when we as members decide to make it better. Skinny, the editor can only print articles that are submitted to him. The comics that he’s been adding towards the back have been for filler content for the most part and when those are gone the Chronicle is going to be “Skinny” pun intended. If we want to see articles about Creekers interests or our interests someone is going to have to write the articles. Larsen Pettifogger, Capt. Baylor all write excellent articles but I’m pretty sure they suffer from writers block on occasion and just can’t figure out what to write about, that’s where we better all step up to the plate and submit some articles because they aren’t going to get written by themselves

I’m going to write a four or five article series about building a roll top gun cart and I can already hear the complaints because I’ve already been told by some pards that people don’t care how I build my gun carts and don’t want to read about it in the Chronicle. So if you want content in the Chronicle that is better than a story about gun cart building you best start writing because I’m looking to have my article in for the next quarterly issue.

Yep, Skinny is doing alright, and I can't wait see your gun cart articles. I wish they would rerun all of the one pot chuck recipes, I still have the old issues but it would take a forever to find them. :wacko: Good Luck:)

Archived