SASS Wire Forum

Gold Prospecting.....

Dorado

...or something like that.

I received a metal detector for Christmas and got to playing with it. I found out that I know absolutely NOTHING about metal detectors. What I have is a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I know that it's about as basic as it gets but that it's good enough to get started. I found a local GPAA club and I'll be going to their next meeting in a couple of weeks. I still want to play with this a bit more before then.

I was wondering if anyone here plays around with these and if y'all had any tips. Right now I'm trying to find a lost water spigot out in my father's side yard. He capped it off with plans to have a garden and the thing got buried years ago. I know roughly where it is and I'd like to find it for him. Also, I lost a couple of arrows out back that I'd like to reclaim the heads from, and some brass cases, and some small tools, and other things. I just realized that I've lost a lot of things in my pasture....huh.... go figure.....

That's how I'm feeling!:lol:

Yup. Been watching a few videos. Saw where an "expert" took his $1000 metal detector and dropped it in the water at some beach. It didn't work so well after that.

Guest Grass Range #51406

A friend gave me one. I found a very antique pair of fencing pliers the first 10 minutes. Now to go over the rest of the 6000 acres to see what I can find.

Years ago I bought one for a trip to a battlefield site in Montana. I was looking for .50-70 shells.  Unfortunately, the map I was using was a crude drawing of the place, and I wasn't where I thought I might find something. Result: found NOTHING! Put the detector away somewhere and since we moved about 28 years ago, I haven't been able to find it...not that I really need it anymore! :(

Basic detecting tips:

Turn it on.

Move it around.

When it beeps, dig.

When you see what you dug up, say “Crap!”

Repeat until happy hour.

If you live near a busy beach, you can probably find all kinds of lost jewelry and change out there.  Sand is easy to dig too.  After a big storm, people have found shipwreck coins on the southern Florida beaches.  Digging up tin cans and rusty nails would get old real fast.

No beaches around here other than one at a lake. I have plans to hit that up once it warms up a bit. 20* and misting doesn't seem like the best weather for it. Got headphone adapter for it today and I can hear it a lot better.

There are metal detectors and there are metal detectors.

If you are satisfied with lost coins and trinkets then your local park is a good place to practice. Be careful to repair any holes you dig.

Your detector will find many objects of value in these locations. 

You will be surprised what you can find in your front yard.

If you didn't get a pair of headphones with your detector, you will need to get a pair. (Small objects make small noises)

As long as you don't run into any ground mineralzation you will be fine.

If you start relic hunting around old home sites then you will find yourself digging a lot of nails and other assorted junk until you acquire a detector that can discriminate between ferrous and non-ferrous objects.

I don't know how old you are, but I will tell you that you will spend most of your time on your knees.

You will need a good digging tool, a long screwdriver (for probing the dirt), a plastic strainer, knee pads, and gloves.

Mineral (Gold) detecting will require a detector in the $1000.00 range to give you any success.

Hunting around lakes and beaches and in streams will require a waterproof detector.

Fisher. White, Garrett and Tesoro are a few of the better brands.

Much information is available from the Gold Prospectors Association. (They have many people that relic hunt also.)

Wherever you go, always check first and make sure it’s legal.

I'm not making a big investment into this. Just gonna play around a bit. I have headphones and good small shovels I can use. Kneepads and gloves I have many sets of. I even have a pouch I can put my finds in. Just waiting for it to not be 20* and wet outside.

2 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Metal/Mineral detecting is always legal on public land.

The digging is another matter.

It is not always legal. The laws vary by state. Some parks in some areas ban the use of metal detectors completely.

Always a good idea to call ahead and ask. Or ask beforehand.

Hope y'all don't hate me for this, but... something like 19 years ago I bought a metal detector at a garage sale for five bucks.  Seems the gal was selling a collection of prospecting equipment for her senior's club.  A lady's husband had passed, no one in her family wanted it, and she donated it all to benefit their club.

I knew nothing about metal detectors, and was shocked when I saw a new one of the same model a few weeks later - a Fisher 1266-X - for sale at a local coin gallery for $650.  

It's been a fun gadget!  :)

Howdy,

Ive read that if you can find where fence posts used to be,

some folks would bury coins under posts.  Many farms have

taken out fences as they no longer graze cattle.

One nice coin stash would pay pretty good.

Ive thought combining a metal detector with a weed whacker would

be productive.  If you didn't find coins at least the weeds would be down....

Best

CR

I have found lots of fence staples, barb wire, pop tops, .22 brass, and mason jar tops here with mine.

If only somebody would invent an arrowhead detector. :rolleyes:

I hunted Civil War relics for years, starting in the early '70's, but haven't been out much in recent years. My old digging spots have either been paved over, built on, or changed ownership and the new owners won't permit digging.

Metal detecting advice:

1. If you are serious about the hobby, get the best detector you can afford from the git-go. I've seen  cheapos wrapped around trees, likely by frustrated beginners.

2. Be thorough. Always double-check your holes for multiple objects, and the dirt you removed from them. I've found a number of relics over the years by double-checking not only my own, but the removed dirt and holes of other diggers who neglected to fill in theirs in. 

3. Always re-fill the holes you dig. After the first good rain, nobody can tell you were ever there.

4. Always get permission from landowners to dig on their property.

5. Take water, light snacks such as trail mix, and insect repellant.

6.Have fun!

I'll probably be heading out with one of the officers from the local Gold Prospector Association club for my first hunt. I think I know his wife.

Archived