SASS Wire Forum

Sorting out the Cap & Ball Revolvers

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

50 minutes ago, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

I shot Pietta brass frames in 44 for several years, before changing to Steel framed 51/36's. Never had a problem, just kept the load low and used APP. A charge of 20 gr or less.

We are ringing steel 15 yards, not trying to kill Indians & Rustlers.

You got that right, see no reason to over power this guns, was wondering what to keep an eye out for 

been tuning both up for the up coming season 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

I shot Pietta brass frames in 44 for several years, before changing to Steel framed 51/36's. Never had a problem, just kept the load low and used APP. A charge of 20 gr or less.

We are ringing steel 15 yards, not trying to kill Indians & Rustlers.

I'm not knocking your choices, but those of us that prefer the sparks, flame and BOOM of the real thing tend not to go for powder-puff loads. 

12 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

FYI,    I got an email from Cabelas and they have a sale on Pietta cap guns.  Looked like $50 off every model.  

Stop with the temptation already!! :o

1 hour ago, Bittertrigger said:

One, just one, are you kidding 

you need a main match pair of every make and caliber and then a back up to those 

:D

I said at least one, not just one..  I have twelve 58 Remington's.... And a pair of 60's, a pair of 51's, 3 walkers, two stainless ROA's and a sxs 44 Derringer...

6 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I said at least one, not just one..  I have twelve 58 Remington's.... And a pair of 60's, a pair of 51's, 3 walkers, two stainless ROA's and a sxs 44 Derringer...

I am totally unworthy 

l bow down to your superior your collection 

i only have a pair of ROA

pair of 1860 Army 

pair of 51 44 brass frame Navy and a 

pair of 1862 

;)

7 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

21 minutes ago, Bittertrigger said:

I am totally unworthy 

pair of 1860 Army 

pair of 1862 

;)

I want to know who can make the longest line of yellow snow...  :D

20 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

I want to know who can make the longest line of yellow snow...  :D

I used to be able to make a line very quickly.  Now I’m just happy to make one at all.  :)

I used to to have 7 pairs of competition ready percussion revolvers; down to three, at the moment...;)

9 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

2 hours ago, Bittertrigger said:

I am totally unworthy 

pair of 1860 Army 

pair of 1862 

;)

Pictures or they don't exist :P

Ok my ROAs and the 1860s are at my Gunsmith getting the barrels bobbed 

one of the 51 Navy and one of the 62 are on my work bench getting the grips trimmed down and smoothed up 

the one by its self is a 1849 5 shot 36 I forgot about, wish I had another one to go with it 

4620E24E-A329-4BCE-A4EC-EB0B20984A5F.jpeg

8B47D95B-B1D4-401D-B23F-643292336FA4.jpeg

148DDA06-6DF0-45EB-947C-0998F88E243C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bittertrigger said:

Ok my ROAs and the 1860s are at my Gunsmith getting the barrels bobbed 

one of the 51 Navy and one of the 62 are on my work bench getting the grips trimmed down and smoothed up 

the one by its self is a 1849 5 shot 36 I forgot about, wish I had another one to go with it 

4620E24E-A329-4BCE-A4EC-EB0B20984A5F.jpeg

8B47D95B-B1D4-401D-B23F-643292336FA4.jpeg

148DDA06-6DF0-45EB-947C-0998F88E243C.jpeg

Trimming down and smoothing up might make a good Chronicle article  ;)

First of all I want to thank everyone for their responses to my questions. :D

As I continue to do my research, another question came up. :blush:

I shoot New Model Ruger Vaqueros - SASS (Model 5133) with the 4.62" barrel length. My holsters were specifically made for them.

Without the need to have new holsters made, what should I be looking for in a C&B that would fit the best in my existing holsters? Do I merely base it on barrel length?

Lastly, should that even be a consideration - meaning limiting my choices of getting the best C&B?

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I shoot New Model Ruger Vaqueros - SASS (Model 5133) with the 4.62" barrel length. My holsters were specifically made for them.

Without the need to have new holsters made, what should I be looking for in a C&B that would fit the best in my existing holsters? Do I merely base it on barrel length?

Lastly, should that even be a consideration - meaning limiting my choices of getting the best C&B?

With that said .

I would probably have to say Ruger Old Army  .

It was designed off the Ruger Black hawk .

But they ant cheap any longer  

@Father Kit Cool Gun Garth We all tell new shooters, go to a match first, handle some guns first, etc. Well the same applies here; don’t let your holsters determine what cap guns to buy. You can get holsters that fit your guns and slide them on your existing belt plenty cheap enough.

51 minutes ago, Bittertrigger said:

The Remington will also work well with your holsters 

Maybe - maybe not.  I have a pair of Mernickles that were made to fit my 4-3/4" Smokewagons and while my 5-1/2" Remingtons seemed to fit into them well enough, the muzzles extended out f the end o the holsters.  That was fine until I tried drawing quickly and found that the front sight posts were hanging up on the bottom lip of the holster, thus slowing me down a tad bit and beginning to chew up a very expensive pair of holsters.  :o

5 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

When you shoot with someone who is using a cap gun, just borrow his revolver for a moment and judge for yourself how it feels in your hand and how well it fits in your holsters.

My Ruger Old Army holsters are roomy enough to accept any open top style revolver; the long barrels provide enough ballast to keep them in there even with the loose fit.  But those 7.5 and 8 inch barrels on the 1851s and 1860s just look so beautiful in a classic Slim Jim holster...:)

I expect one of the shorter barreled Pietta open top models would work ok in your current leather.

This is truly going to take a lot of research and testing,  which I intend to do.  All of the advise I am receiving should be helpful to others who are interested in gettng into C&B revolvers. 

Ultimately it may just come down to obtaining a collection that mimics Boomstick Bruce. :o:P

Maybe a collection of holsters to rival my wife's shoe assortment. :wub:

17 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

This is truly going to take a lot of research and testing,  which I intend to do.  All of the advise I am receiving should be helpful to others who are interested in gettng into C&B revolvers. 

Ultimately it may just come down to obtaining a collection that mimics Boomstick Bruce. :o:P

Maybe a collection of holsters to rival my wife's shoe assortment:wub:

Should we start calling you Imelda?  :P

I run custom cut Colt clones with 4.75" barrels that, while they fit into my other holsters, are loose.  I would suggest Slim Jim's made for your belt to keep with the look of cap guns and will help keep costs down.

7 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

My Ruger Old Army's with 5.5" barrels fit well in my Mernickle holster's bought for my Ruger Bisley's with 5.5" barrels.

I can't speak for any of the Colt/Remington clones.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Maybe a collection of holsters to rival my wife's shoe assortment. :wub:

I already have a larger shoe/boot collection than wife...:ph34r:

Been working on some c&b pistols, I cut down the front and back of the grip frame and sanded down the grips 

I also worked on the hammer face but before I did, I did a little test, I popped some caps and picked up the fragments (first picture) this was all I found and one had found it’s was into the frame. Then I modified the the hammer face and ran my test again (second picture) as you can see the caps opened up but did not flare out and all fell off the nipples (caps are Remington #10) 

Any thoughts did I screw you the hammers or does they look like they well work and prevent caps from falling into the action 

61FEDA83-77E3-4531-84E2-34EC0A17C168.jpeg

AB308126-4D75-4091-A8D6-0E2ABEE70DA8.jpeg

10 hours ago, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

A Pietta Hammer that has been Tig-welded, and rough filed, ready for finish and proper adjustment to the cylinder and nipples. When polished this hammer/face will not cause cap sucking.

IMGP3436.JPG

Did not wanted to go that route

I de-burred the safety notch and opened it up some 

they seam to stay in the factor nipple and fall off when the hammer is cocked for the next shot 

Will be shooting the pistols this weekend 

I will let everyone know how they worked 

43 minutes ago, Bittertrigger said:

Did not wanted to go that route

I de-burred the safety notch and opened it up some 

they seam to stay in the factor nipple and fall off when the hammer is cocked for the next shot 

Will be shooting the pistols this weekend 

I will let everyone know how they worked 

Another option is to use J.B. Weld - it's cheaper and less permanent.  Mike Beliveau's video on cap-sucking shows how to do it.

Archived