SASS Wire Forum

Rotary tumbler solution

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

A Squirt of dish detergent and about a 38 special full of Lemishine. I use SS pins (the larger ones) and don't deprime. I find a separate depriming step un-necessary.  I run for about an hour and the primer pockets are still cleaned out. When done, I sift and separate. The brass is then either put on top of the dehumidifier (summer) or in front of the heat register (winter) over-night to completely dry. I will sometimes then take the clean brass after it's dry and put into the vibratory tumbler with corn media that has Turtle Wax mixed in for about 30 minutes. This is to put a protective coating back on the brass. This helps with long term storage.

Buzzard

IMHO, John Boy's recipe is superior to Dawn and LemiShine.

In a gallon  of water, add

4 oz of liquid Rio Grand Jewelry burnishing solution, and

4 oz of Scrubbing Bubbles general purpose cleaner.

I can tumble a batch of filthy/nasty (wife's term) deprimed BP brass with SS pins for 90 minutes and the brass is shinier than new.

Just sayin'

Amarillo Rattler

Car wash liquid with the wax in it also works. Brass deprimed first so it can clean the primer pockets. Be aware not to use too much Lemishine. It is a citric acid based product so too much will start to darken the brass.

Agree with Amirillo :D

The Rio Grand burnishing solution is Strat-O-Sheen ... https://www.riogrande.com/product/Strat-O-Sheen-Powder-Burnishing-Compound-5-lbs/3390175

It is a concentrated powder -  mix 3 ounces concentrate to a gallon of water ... I use distilled water

Plus a 3 second squirt of Dawn Ultra

Decap spent primers before cleaning

IMG_0540_zps9ae2ca52.jpg

1 hour ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Car wash liquid with the wax in it also works. Brass deprimed first so it can clean the primer pockets. Be aware not to use too much Lemishine. It is a citric acid based product so too much will start to darken the brass.

I have some brass that is over two years old since it was cleaned and while it's darkened a bit it still is shiny.  The wax in the car wash it the reason

I deprime before I clean as respect my bullets and only want them to have the best :D

cheyenne

John Boy... Thanks for lead on Strat-0-Sheen - gonna try it. (Seems like Rio Grande's web site is not working for that product but you can call in and order it on line.) Are you using other polishing media (what are those small square bluish-white pieces admit your brass)?

...RR 

1/2 teaspoon of Lemishine & 1 tablespoon of Dawn

I also use ceramic balls.

I Do Not deprime because it's an unnecessary extra step

and the ceramic balls tend to get stuck in empty primer pockets.

The brass comes out looking Brand New!

Are you using other polishing media (what are those small square bluish-white pieces admit your brass)?

Roger, that's the media ... 3mm Kramer K-Polish ceramic triangles

John Boy... I'm confused. I didn't see mention of  "Kramer K-Polish in your post. Is that used with the Strat-O-Sheen or separately?

RR

Roger, the complete recipe that I use in the rotary with decapped spent primers is:

* Approx 1/4" - 1/2" Kramer 3mm K-Polish triangle ceramic media

* Fill the rotary with Strat-O-Sheen ( 3oz concentrate to 1 gallon of distilled water) to cover the cases

* About a 3 second squirt of Dawn Ultra, now the 3x Ultra

* About a 2 second squirt of Scrubbing Bubbles

With black powder cases, I run the rotary for 15 to half hour, then dump the solution because of the build up in the foul of potassium sulfide & potassium bicarbonate in the solution.  New solution - Dawn - Bubbles and then run for about an hour

Smokeless powder cases - only one rotary run for about a half to an hour

There is ceramic media out there that you don't want to use with 38sp cases....

If you won't believe me... Ask Creeker.

10 hours ago, Amarillo Rattler said:

IMHO, John Boy's recipe is superior to Dawn and LemiShine.

In a gallon  of water, add

4 oz of liquid Rio Grand Jewelry burnishing solution, and

4 oz of Scrubbing Bubbles general purpose cleaner.

I can tumble a batch of filthy/nasty (wife's term) deprimed BP brass with SS pins for 90 minutes and the brass is shinier than new.

Just sayin'

Amarillo Rattler

This works great and cases stay shiny!

John Boy's formula is close to mine:    1/4 tsp Strat-O-Sheen powder

1/4 tsp Lemishine

a squirt of Scrubbing Bubbles

a squirt of Dawn Ultra

add warm water, but leave a least 2 or 3 inches from the top for proper agitation.

(WARNING!!! IF YOU USE THE FORMULA ABOVE, YOU MUST ONLY USE BRASS CASES, NEVER NICKEL PLATED STUFF.  IF YOU GET NICKEL PLATED STUFF IN YOUR BATCH, THE WHOLE BATCH WILL TURN A DULL GRAY).

I use stainless steel pins and do not de-prime my brass.   Two hours in the tumbler gets them pretty clean, but 3 hours makes them look like new.  When done, scoop out the extra suds with a cup, drain and then rinse at least 2 times with clean water (brass and pins in the tumbler).  After separating the brass from the SS pins, I rinse the brass one last time and place them on trays of an electric food dehydrator.  In a couple of hours, they're dry and pretty.

After separating the brass from the SS pins, I rinse the brass one last time and place them on trays of an electric food dehydrator.  In a couple of hours, they're dry and pretty.

Mongo - want to cut your drying time down to about 2 Minutes?

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7653.0

This thread has been read 9625 times! :D

Archived