SASS Wire Forum

RANGER'S JUSTICE - Desert Trail

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME OUT!!!!!

Question: Is it ANGEL EYES or ANGLE EYES???? Just sayin'..............

Time In!!

“What’s up Miguel?” Asked Pete. Miguel replied, “Senior Black has left the hotel.” “I do not know where he has gone.” “Angel Eyes is still hanging around the saloon.” “He watches the street carefully.” “I think he looks for you, to see if you leave town as you told him you would.” 

After Miguel left, Old Pete told Ed, "I think maybe we need to get a move on. I'm not worried so much about Angel Eyes, but Brett Black being out of sight worries me a bit. He might just decide that we haven't left fast enough to suit him, and his men still out number us.

"One riot, one Ranger only goes so far, and only when the rioters aren't shooting at you from all directions."

Rye and Pat sat and talked with Ranger Cool about joining up. Rye said, "I'll be ready to ride in a few days, what's the pay?" Ranger Cool said, "Pay is $20.00 a month plus we'll reimburse you for your ammo. There's also bonuses if you bring in wanted murderers". Rye thought about it for a few seconds and said, "I'm in". Pat was still thinking about it!

"Not so fast Rye", Kit replied, "I've got to know if you're capable of backing your fellow rangers. Do you have the necessary firearms,  and I've got to check out your shooting skills before I give you a badge."

Ed and Pete mounted up and headed out of town. They passed the saloon and Pete gave a half salute to Angel Eyes as they passed. Heading south away from Tarrant, they mosied  along as if they were not worried. Pete said under his breath, “Son we better keep on sloping along for a good shake.” “Angel Eyes will scout us for a good piece before he’s convinced we are headed out of the territory.”

Maddog looked at both of the men  and knew they were ready to draw on him if he was not careful. "Well, should either your change you minds, the job pays $25 a week and I need a man to patrol the town when I am gone on business and a good jailer. However, I understand not wanting to be tied down to one spot for too long. The next time we see each other in the saloon, the first round is on me. If you know of a couple good men, please sent them to me as your recommendation would all they would need for me to hire them, have a good afternoon." Maddog turned his back to them and walked back to the saloon.

Miguel goes home to see his Mama .

When Miguel enters the little Adobe house  , He sees Brett Black and two other Men at the table eating .

Rosita  ( Miguel's Mother )  says Where have you been Miguel ?

Mayor Black is her to see you   " Come in " .

"I've got 2 Colts in .44, a 73 in .44 and I pack a derringer in my boot. Am I sufficient with firearms? You betcha, let's set up some targets and I'll show you and I'll back up my pards to the death if I have to! Rye said very confidently.

Kit looked at Rye with a Cheshire grin on his face. "That's the kind of confidence I'm looking for in a Ranger", he retorted with a laugh. "Do you know the livery stable and corral at the edge of town owned by those Irish cousins, Ed O'Toole and Owen Killoran? Meet me there in two hours, and bring Pat with you as I'll need a spotter."

Having made it into some hills, Pete and Ed turned off the trail and headed for high ground. “From here we can watch our back trail and see if Angel Eyes or anyone else is scouting us,” said Pete. “How are we going to take on the whole gang,” asked Ed?

“I reckon we’ll have to take it as it comes,” says Pete. 

Pat and Rye left for the Lorelei Boarding House to discuss shooting strategy and Ranger Cool strolled the boardwalk towards the livery and corral.  Before the door to the Sheriff's Office could close shut the Deputy barged in from the Saloon. "Sheriff, I got bad news. That Maddog fellow has been trying to recruit men to patrol town while he's gone. I think something is brewing and I don't like it," he huffed, being out of breath having run from the Saloon. Quick to respond, the Sheriff replied "I'll take care of that, you just stay here and hold down the fort. Oh and by the way, you can let Irish-Pat go, I believe he's sobered up." 

Brett tells Miguel I know you don't like me much Miguel .

I want you to know I had no choice  when I killed your Papa.

He drew on me trying to get reward money to take care of your Mama and you .

I have taken care of you and your Mama ever since .

I take care of the whole town, If I did not this would have been a ghost  town a long time ago .

I keep trying to make friends with you every time I'm around .

Give me a chance to help you and one day you might take over my gang for me .

I never had a Son of my own .

And Miguel smiled at Brett and said. "OK  Mr Black I be yeour freend "

Rye and Pat went to the corral at the edge of town and set up some bottle and cans on the fence! They both took turns shooting. Both were fine pistoleros and didn't miss once!

Angel Eyes  Sent four men on their horses  south , 

" Go  make shore Old Pete and the Younker kept heading out of town "

If  you find them before the  trail splits   " Kill them "

If Not turn around and come back .

Watch Yourselves Old Pete got to be a Old Man because he is Dangerous   " Dont Under Estimate Him " 

It seems like Rye and Pat's shooting practice gathered a small crowd! Eveyone wanted to join in and of course gambling was quickly introduced. Guys were challenging each other for money and cash was being handed around like water! "Sporting men" Rye said to himself as a big grin came across his face!

“..7..10..12..18..40..45,” Kit counting the steps in his head that he’d taken since leaving the Sheriff’s Office. He was analytical like that. Just as he knew there were 69 bars that comprised the jail cells in the Sheriff’s Office. He’d counted them while talking to Rye and Pat. “..62..65..75..80”, he continued until his concentration was broken by the distant sound of someone yelling his name. “Ranger, Ranger, Ranger”, an exhausted Irish-Pat finally came to a stop as Ranger Cool turned around finding the now sober Irish-Pat bent over, hands on his knees, gasping heavily. “I’ve got to tell you about that Rye fellow. You see I’ve heard talk of his skills with firearms. Some say at High Noon in Tusco, he was seen shooting faster than you could down a bottle of that coffin-varnish they serve at the Saloon. As a Ranger, he’s your man”. Kit pulled his pocket watch out, it was 4:03PM, time to make someone a Ranger.

Pat admired Rye's skill but rather than  try and show off, which might not work out so well, Pat decided to show Rye and the crowd one of his favorite things in the whole world, his single shot 45-70 Sharps. "Gents, I am good with my pistols and my carbine but with this I am damn good. It's a Sharps 45-70. It has a custom 28 inch barrel and and vernier tang sight I helped design. The cartridge is a 45-70-500 grain bullet and I have to brag a little and say that I can hit man in the eye out to 250, head at 500 and torso at 750...From there on out it's a gamble unless I can get him to stand still." He said with a smile. Pat proceeded to ask for folks to call out targets and 25 rounds later the crowd seemed mighty pleased with Pat's rifle and his ability to shoot it. 

When Ranger Cool arrived at the Ed O’Toole livery stable and adjoining Owen Killoran corral, he saw the large crowd of spectators watching and betting on Ryes’ shooting ability. “Alright everyone, let’s calm down, I’ve got an announcement to make,” he bellowed as he climbed onto a nearby wagon. “I know you’ve been enjoying the shooting skills that Mr. Miles has been displaying; however, from what I’ve been told he also displays great character.”

“A Ranger is an officer who is able to handle any given situation without definite instructions from his commanding officer, or higher authority. This ability must be proven before a man becomes a Ranger” *

“As a Texas Ranger, I am proud to officially declare that Rye Miles is now a Deputy Texas Ranger”, Ranger Cool proclaimed with a grin as he jumped down from the wagon and pinned a Texas Ranger badge onto Rye’s vest, and promptly shook his hand.

5a69070b1dade_RangerOath-RESIZEDSmaller.jpg.c6cccf188e688e3485ba41983d20c951.jpg

*Former Ranger Capt. Bob Crowder

After sitting up on the high ground for half a day, Ranger Ed was getting antsy. He said, “By now we aught to know if we are being followed.” “Son,”said Pete, “I ain’t lived this long by being impatient.” “Thet Angel Eyes will likely sent a couple of hombres down the trail to see if’n we kept on movin.” “Thet’s why we turned of on hard ground, harder to read sign and I scattered dust over the rocks where our horse shoes scared them.” They’s got to be real good trackers to find our turn off.”

Pete responded, “Best to leave them bustards be, unless they get on our trail.” “If they don’t return Angel Eyes ‘ll know we ain’t so innocent as we make out.” “If they give up, they won’t admit to Angel that they lost our trail.” “He don’t take kindly to failure and they like livin too much.”

Rye was smiling from ear to ear when Cool pinned the badge on him! " I'm proud to be joining ya'll as a Ranger, I hope I can live up your reputation". I've heard you're one hell of a Ranger Mr. Cool!" 

Jesus said to the three  boys " lets  turned around and start back to town " 

Angel Eyes said if we dont come across them by the trail split ,  to come back .

Old Pete is probably watching us from a distance and  " Im fond of this side of the grave "

Maddog was  sitting in the empty saloon as everybody was down watching the shooting display. Maddog had watched from the second floor of the saloon long enough to see what he may come up against. they were good, but the real test is can they kill without as much as a blink of an eye. When Maddog saw Irish-Pat coming to the saloon, he met him at the door with a bottle and soon knew everything that had been discussed while he was in jail. The sheriff was looking for him, the banker had spilled his guts and gold was coming. Maddog then went and sent a cripted telegraph and got a reply that help would be there tomorrow.

Pat congratulated Rye on his commission and shook his hand. "Pard, there is no better man than you that should get this badge. I am proud to know you. If I can be of service just sing out, I'll be there."

Pat walked over to a wagon with it's gate down and began cleaning his rifle. He couldn't shake the feeling that all the while he and Rye were shooting that someone was watching them, not folks in the crowd but someone that he should be leery of. Pat decided to give his revolvers a once over as well as his carbine.

The next morning,Hector and Rico walked in to he saloon and saw Maddog sitting alone eating breakfast. They walked over to the table next to him and sat down and ordered breakfast. Maddog said to them on low voice in Spanish"Acuéstese, lo enviaré cuando sea necesario" (lie low, I will send for you when you are needed). Rico nodded once.

Maddog knew Brett was checking up on him, and did not like it as it could mess up his plans. However, they would make good scapegoats if they were needed.

Maddog left the saloon and went to wait for his friends at the train depot.

Archived