SASS Wire Forum

RANGER'S JUSTICE - Desert Trail

"Would you like any help, Rye?" Pat asked.

Rye flipped Pat a dollar coin and said "No, but if you don't mind could ya get me a bottle of whiskey and meet me at the Vet's office. I doubt he has that for treating horses."

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Pete and Ranger Ed Seiker headed down the Blackbird Trail alone. The rest of the posse headed back to Tarrant. Pete said, “There’s a little Mexican village called Valle de Bravo up ahead, just before the border. It is a likely place for the gang to holeup. They can get rest, supplies and the locals won’t give them any trouble. We need to be careful approaching the village.

Brett Black  gave a dollar peace to  this little Mexican Boy named Miguel .

He told Miguel go get me a bottle of Whisky and some candy for your self .

Brett told Miguel you let me and my guys know if Any and I mean any strangers come in to town .

I will pay you to keep your eyes open and your mouth shut .

Maddog stopped by the mayor's office and informed him it was time for the town to pay him for his services. The mayor stated that there was not enough money in the town treasury until the bank was resupplied with money to pay him. Maddog handed the Mayor a list of supplies and told to get a large wagon and collect the items for his payment and to let Bottles and Madame Loreli Longshot know of his requirements for room and board and entertainment.

Brett Back thought he had everything covered with the gang watching all entry points to the town & the little mexican boy eagerly checking out any strangers. Brett let himself relax eased up in a chair in the back of a small cantina  throwing down whiskey figuring he was safe for now, as he asked for a bottle to take to his room little did he know that eyes were upon them..' There in there that's for sure, now what's our plan said the voice in the small gully behind the Valle De Bravo livery stable.

Brett was relaxed in his room in total comfort .

knowing the Town of  Valle de Bravo will watch his back .

The Town always relies on Brett Black and his  gang for protection from the Comanchero's .

And he shares the wealth from his gang with the towns people to keep this dying town alive .

Brett is the home  town Son of    Valle de Bravo.

Dr. Wellshons was the vet in town. Rye dismounted his horse and limped to the vet's office which was inside a stable. Dr.Welshons examined the wound and said, "Yer lucky cowboy that went right through yer leg". He washed it off with alcohol and put some concoction of pumice and herbs and bandaged it. "Try and stay off it for a while and you'll be fine" said the Doc. Rye gave him a dollar and thanked him.

Ranger Cool finally arrived on the outskirts of Tarrant unaware of the events that occurred while he was away. Dismounting and tying his steed at the water trough, he went straight for the Doc's office to check up on Eugene, the shotgun rider on the Wells Fargo stage he stopped. Finding the Doc's office empty, he decided to head to the Jail and meet up with Sheriff York to reveal his news. As he stepped onto the boardwalk, out of the corner of his eye, he caught a glimpse of a surly figure he thought he recognized wearing a Marshall badge! He'll have to find out more about this from the Sheriff.

Pete said to Ed. “Yep, they’re in there alright.” “The question is can we do anything about it.” “Pretty much the whole town will help Black, as he shares the loot liberally.” “I’ve been here with the gang as part of my undercover work.” 

Miguel comes to Brett's room and tells Brett there is one of your Old Friends  in Town,

He has  a stranger with him .

I think you called him Old Pete .

They  are over by the Stable.

I never seen the other man before .

Brett told Miguel to keep a eye on them .

And tossed Miguel a Morgan .

Brett told Miguel  , Go out a different way then the way you come in and,

Go tell Angle Eyes to come to me .

( Angel Eyes is a stone cold Killer , Who's Mother was a Indian Squaw and His Father was a Mexican Bandido 

Angel Eyes Claims He Can Smell Rangers , from Four miles away . )

While Rye's leg wound is healing as he hobbles around with one crutch, he's confined at the hotel lobby playing checkers with the clerk. It's killing him to not be part of the action and see what's going on!

Pete said to Ed, “That little fella that grained our horses scooted into the hotel.” “Likely he’s a spy for Brett Black.” “We better watch our backs.”

There’s a mean looking hombre in town called ‘Angel Eyes’. “He’s half Indian half Mexican.” “He’s a stone cold killer and will back shoot you as soon as face you.”

Pat Riot sat at the bar in the Saloon sipping a coffee and talking with Bottles, the Saloon keeper.

As he talked he kept an eye on a man that he'd never seen in town before and definitely would have remembered him if he had.

He had the weirdest eyes and he looked scrappy and mean.

After winning 9 games of checkers in a row, Rye got tired of the game. The clerk wasn't too good at checkers. Rye got up and figured he limp over to the saloon and bust down a couple! "Maybe Pat's there he thought, I owe him a drink" he was the only one in town that he knew!

Angel Eyes made his way over to see Brett Black .

Brett told Angle Eyes his Old Friend Pete is in town and a Stranger is with him .

Angel said to Brett 

I know you  Never trusted him.

But Old Pete and I drank maney of nights togather .

I know Pete is a Old Desert Rat.

I know He is trust worthy ! 

He is probably looking for a grub stake and a beer .

I will find them and check it out .

I will kill them both if I have too ,

Old Pete and I Go back a long ways ,

He will never let me get behind him if he is up to something !

But if hes not ,

Old Pete will show me his back .

Then I will know , If  he is up to No good or Not .

Stepping into the Sheriff’s Office, Ranger Cool could see Sheriff York assisting his deputy place the drunk and disorderly Irish-Pat into a jail cell to cool off. “Be with you in a bit”, he said as he took the keys to the cell from the deputy and told him, “Why don’t you head on over to the Saloon and make sure there’s no trouble while me and Kit talk business.”

Pat was just about to get up and leave the Saloon as Rye hobbled in. "Bottles, get Rye a whiskey,and bring me another cup of coffee."

Rye came over to where Pat was standing at the bar and took a seat in a chair at a nearby table. "Rye, looks like you are getting around all right. What happened that you got yourself shot? Do you need any help dealing with the scallywag that shot ya?"

Maddog walked into the saloon and walked up to the bar. Bottles walked over and with a disgusted looked asked if I wanted a bottle. I told no, just coffee and if he had to make a living on what I drink, he would go broke. Bottles brought me a coffee and I told him that I enjoy the meals they make, and I had several places to eat around town and would usually only take one or two meals a day and maybe a a bottle on occasion  as I did not want to hurt his business.  Bottles looked at me, nodded his head and went back to tending the bar. I finished my coffee and went upstairs to talk to Madame Loreli Longshot.

"I was out with that posse chasing down bad guys and we got attacked by Commancheros. I got hit and didn't know it until after when I saw a blood spot on my pants leg! At least let me buy you a cup of coffee Pat, since you gave me that dollar for a bottle!" said Rye.

"Who can I talk to in this town about signing on as a Ranger", Rye asked.

The thing that nobody knew about Angle Eyes, and the reason he claimed he could "smell" a Ranger, was that he used to be one!  Before he went Renegade, he had known every Ranger in the service. Many of them he'd either killed, or had killed. 

He didn't know Ranger Ed because he was a newer Ranger, but he HAD known "Old Pete" BEFORE he'd become "Old Pete. The question was, would he recognize him now?

Even the youngins' can smell a quick buck, the Mexican boy Miguel had reasons to not like Brett Black as years earlier he had killed Miguels father, for this reason he headed  back towards the two strangers that Black was very interested in.

Angel Eyes found Old Pete and his friend in the Stable .

Miguel come running in to the Stable and Angle Eyes Glared at him with a Evil Eye.

Miguel took off running .

Angel said to Old Pete , What brought you here Pete ?

I have not seen you in a few Season's .

Who is your side kick ?

Then Angel handed Old Pete a bottle of Mezcal.

And said glad  to see you old friend .

NOW TELL ME WHY YOU ARE HERE !

Placing the keys to the cells in his desk drawer, Sheriff York pulled up a chair for Ranger Cool and sat down himself. "What news do you have from Fort Belknap?", he queried. Kit replied, "The Brigadier has informed me that a shipment of gold will be leaving the Fort in 2 days. His troops will be safeguarding the wagon with a stop here in Tarrant, and has requested our assistance in ensuring a safe place for them to stay until they move on to Fort Worth." A look of concern swept over the Sheriff's face as he dropped his head and slowly shook it from side to side. "Now may not be a good time" he groaned. 

“Thank you for the coffee. Rye, why not ask the Sheriff? His office has been busy if late. Heck if you don’t mind I would be happy to tag along. This place is gettin’ to be a bit too feisty” as he nodded his head to where Maddog stood “and I am thinkin’ it’s gonna get worse before it gets better.”

“Angel,” said Pete, “You know I rode with the Rangers years ago.” “ So don’t get edgy and listen.” “I quite that life and took up prospecting, I ain’t hit it big but I have some information on some old spanish digs.” “Me and this younker here is headed out to try and locate their old mine.”

Rye and Pat headed to the sheriff's office. They didn't know that Ranger Cool was there and Rye could probably sign up with him right there on the spot.

Maddog saw Pat Riot and his friend leave the saloon and decided Madame Loreli Longshot could wait.  Maddog cut out the back and thru the alley and walked out in front of Pat and his friend.  Pat stopped and looked Maddog and set his hand on his revolver.

Maddog smiled, " Gentlemen, you two look like you could use a job and as the Town Marshall, I am in the position to offer you honest work for good pay. Would you like to step back in to the saloon and discuss this opportunity?

"Rye had his hand on his revolver as soon as he seen Maddog's hand go to his. Rye said, "I think I'd prefer "Rangering", I don't wanna be stuck in a town but much obliged for the offer"

Angel took a sip of the Mezcal and said to Old Pete

You Know Brett Dont Trust you much because of your past as a Ranger .

Old Pete took a sip and handed the jug to the Younker .

Angel slipped behind Old Pete and put his knife to his Throat .

Old Pete smiled and said I miss you too Pard.

Angel said  Pete Im happy I dont need to Kill you my Old Friend .

I will let Brett Know you are just passing threw So he can relax .

“Phew,” said Ed after Angel Eyes left. “I thought I was gonna have to shoot him.” “If you had tried I’d be dead, no mater how fast you were.” “Fact is unless you hit him with an instant kill shot you’d be hurting if not dead also.” “Angel is the toughest man I ever met.” “Not much can stop him once he sets his mind to something.”

Angel Eyes goes and Tells Brett Black to relax .

Old Pete is just passing threw and should be gone in a day or two.

Brett said Angel you keep your eyes upon him .

I never trusted that Desert Rat.

I need to move to a different spot too many people know Im here . 

"What do you mean by that, John?" Kit asked. "Seems there's been a lot of trouble in town since you left for Fort Belknap. The Brett Black Gang was in town, robbed the bank, and headed for the Mexican border. I sent a Posse after them, but most of us are back, leaving Old Pete and Ranger Ed to try and catch them before they got to the border. And that's not the worse part. One of his gang, Maddog McCoy, made himself Town Marshall and has his hooks into the banker." Kit rose from his chair so fast he knocked it clear across the room, shouting, "I'll not stand for this. Where's this Maddog fellow now?"

Pat smiled at Maddog then looked at Rye and winked. “Thank you kindly Maddog but I’m with Rye. I need to get away from town for a while. Towns tend to weigh one down.”

Archived