SASS Wire Forum

RANGER'S JUSTICE - Desert Trail

Out in the desert, Pete yelled, “There’s the Comanche, much as I hate to say it boys, we gots to hep them owlhoots.” “We kin try and aerset ‘m after we drive of them redskins.” 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the dust had settled, Ranger Cool could see that One Eyed Charley was driving the stage; however, his shotgun rider lay slumped over his seat and the Ranger could clearly see the distinct colorization of a Comanche arrow sticking out of his left shoulder. Charley exclaimed, "Ran into a band of Comanche about five miles back attacking a group of cowboys, and we got in their way. Poor Eugene took a hit and I've got to get him to a doc as soon as possible " .

"But where will we go?"  Deborgille asked in a small voice as Jerez settled into the buggy's seat beside her, and he looked at her and smiled gently and said, "Anywhere we damn well please!"

The Shot up gang that was able to get to their  horses and  rode off fast .

Confused on how the posse even caught up with them .

Not many people even know of the Old Blackbird trail leading in to Mexico.

They must have some Old desert tracker with them .

“Well boys”, said Pete, “looks like them Comanche has had nough fur now”. “Thet bunch a owlhoots has bugged out too”. “Any uh you fellers seriously hurt”?

The citizens of the town jumped at Maddog's offer to protect the town and agreed to make him Town Marshal at $200 at week. The banker and the store owners were concerned that they would not be able to pay Maddog, but Maddog told them that he would take part of his salary in trade goods and services provided by the town.

Meanwhile as the Comanche licked  wounds & headed back to their  secret valley   6  braves needed to be taken to the sacred burial ground but Painted Mohawk was not one of them as the white eyes bullet was under charged & had deflected off his breast plate lodging away from any vital organs..with rest he would  again join the raiding parties !!!

[ ya' ain't got rid of me yet Brett Black ] LOL

Meanwhile back in town .

The saloon gal Allie corners the new Marshall Mad dog , 

and tells him she wants out of this life of Cowboy entertainment.

Allie says to Mad dog I know who you are .

I will keep my mouth shut if you pay my 50.00  a month of your pay , 

and agree to take me with you when you leave this hell hole of a town .

Back on the trail, Pete takes a count of the posse and realizes no one is in town for protection and yells at the bunch to mount up and head to town as fast as they can.

Rye's idea of breaking up and circling around the gang worked just fine. He learned that trick from herding cattle and and listening to the old timers! Rye had also learned of the Old Blackbird Trail from an old Mexican cook that he was on a cattle drive with.

Unaware that a large Posse had left Tarrant in pursuit of the Brett Black gang, Ranger Cool headed in the opposite direction of the Wells Fargo Stage to see if he could assist those who may be in trouble with the Comanche. With the 1860 Henry Rifle given to him by his brother who used it while serving in the 7th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Ranger Cool felt confident he could provide the assistance needed.

The posse stopped shooting and there was no shooting back at them. They didn't hear any horses or see any dust being kicked up so they assumed the bad guys were just resting.

The Comancheros thought the posse looked light but what they didn't see was the other half of the posse up on a ridge about 100 yds. from the other half. Rye's idea of splitting up the posse and circling around was proving to be a stellar idea!

Maddog  told Allie she must not know him very well as those that have tried to cross usually ended up worse than dead, however, he would take her with him if she provided him information on what was going on in town and the saloon and she keeps him warm at night in his room upstairs.

Maddog also promised her that when he gets done picking the town dry, she can leave with him and stay with him until we tire of each other and then he will set her up in a new town doing whatever she desires at that time. However, if you don't agree with my plan, you can figure you will not see the sunrise tomorrow.

Ranger Cool rode as fast as his mount could take him, feeling that time was not going to be on his side. He was not aware that the Comanche would come this far east to the Old Blackbird Trail.

Some of the posse headed back to town at Old Pete's request but most stayed to get after the gang who had headed towards Mexico at a full gallop!

A fierce battle between the posse and the Commanchero's ensued, it looked like the posse had the edge as a lot of Commanchero's were dropping like flies!

Pat Riot over heard Mad Dog’s threat to Allie and decided to act.

After Mad Dog walked away Pat told Allie to gather her things and he would get her passage away from here and away from Mad Dog. Pat decided that Mad Dog  threatening him with a knife was one thing, threatening a woman was entirely another and he couldn’t or wouldn’t allow it.

The stage came roaring into town and as Marshall, I felt it was best to see who was coming and going.

As the stage was loading, Pat Riot and Allie walked up to the stage with her bags. Pat had  his hand resting on his revolver.

I looked at them and smiled "I don't think I ever had a lady get tired of me that fast before" and reached my in vest and handed Allie an envelope.

Pat and I helped Allie on the stage and watched it drive away.

I looked at Pat "I have yet to hurt a lady, but somebody like you is a different story"

“Maddog,” Pat said smiling at Maddog “That’s two, don’t let there be a third.”

Pat turned and walked away listening to hear if Maddog might move to shoot him in the back.

Pete dropped from his horse when the firing started. He saw Rye Miles do likewise. Signaling Rye to circle to the left, Pete injured off to the right. Once they had the Comancheros in a cross fire they opened up. The last of the Comancheros beat a hasty retreat, leaving the posse to pursue the Brett Black gang once more.

By the time Ranger Cool arrived at the Old Blackbird Trail, there were no Comanches to be found and no sign of any cowboys. With no reason to stay, he turned around and headed back to Tarrant. He would hook up with Sheriff York and relay the information he had been given by Brigadier Belknap from his trip to the Fort.

Maddog left the stage stop and saw the banker and mayor outside the closed bank. The mayor was insisting he reopen as the town needed the bank open for the town to prosper, and the banker stated he could not reopen without money, and he was not sure when the funds he sent for would be there. Maddog offered to loan the banker cash to open the bank, the mayor insisted he take the money. The banker and Maddog went into the back to discuss the deal.

The Brett Black gang are on the edge of Mexico and stopped in the town of Valle de Bravo 

This is a good place to lay low tend to the wounded .

The gang got four different rooms boxing off the town , they can see everyone coming in or going out .

The troubled little town was behind them now, the train that brought them here was taking them away, taking them north, away from whatever trouble had the place all stirred up.

Jerez sat erect, awake; Deborgille, his wife, her memory returned, slept, exhausted: she was warm against his side, her head laid over on his shoulder, his arm was around her.

It took most of a year and all of his fortune, but he'd found his pearl of great price, and he was taking her home where she belonged.

Maddog "I have $500.00 cash to loan the bank, and my terms are when the shipment of money from out east comes in, you pay me back a $1000.00 or you pay me back in 30 days, which ever occurs first. Here are the papers, just sign the them."

Banker "That's highway robbery!"

Maddog" I have seen how you run your bank, you will make it up in 30 days or less, and right now you are losing money. Take it or leave it, but you will have to answer to the town folks and the mayor if you don't sign the papers"

Banker " Fine, I will sign them, I have a shipment of money coming and it will be here by Wells Fargo under heavy guard in about 10 days" 

Maddog" How much is coming, I want to know what protection I may need to provide since part of it is my money"

The banker hesitated," Well it will cover most of the $25,000 that was stolen, but we are not keeping that much here any more and it will cover your loan"

Maddog smiled and picked up the papers and handed the $500.00 to the Banker. "It's been a pleasure doing business with you, Mr. Smith."

Allie snuggled up as best she could in the coach, content to be leaving but knowing it was not the end.

Maddog whistled to himself as he glided down the boardwalk thinking of how easy this was going to be..'how sweet it is' he muttered to himself.

Rye noticed a wet spot on his leg, he'd been shot and in the excitement didn't even feel it! Luckily the bullet tore through the flesh and didn't hit a bone. "I'll be headin' back to town to get this looked at" said Rye as he tied his silk rag tight around the wound.

Pat Riot was leaving the General Store where he had just purchased a new rifle and ammunition. As he was crossing the street he saw a rider coming into town that looked like Rye Miles. The rider was slumped over and Pat knew something was wrong.

Pat asked Rye, "Hey what's wrong"? "I got shot in the leg" said Rye, where's the Doc??" Pat replied, "The Doc is out at the Gibbons house delivering a baby"!!! The vet is here or the barber could probably help you!" Rye sighed, "Okay I'll go to the vet it's no big deal it went through flesh I just don't want it to get infected!"

Archived