SASS Wire Forum

RANGER'S JUSTICE - Desert Trail

In the saloon Cactus Jack leaned on the bar and watched as the three fellows started looking with suspicion at the Dealer. Jack figured this could get interesting, though he didn’t want the Dealer killed. He was a subject of interest. Known to everyone as Old Pete the desert rat, Jack was in fact an undercover Texas Ranger. Sheriff York was the only one in town who knew his true identity.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deborrah kicked the customer in the gut, broke the heavy whiskey bottle over the back of his head and then she proceeded to get mean with him.

Heads in the Saloon turned and looked up as a screaming woman's voice vented a fine selection of good old fashioned Gaelic, her voice shivering on the air, followed by a dull grunt as a man hit the bannister belt buckle first, folded over it, then somersaulted over it in slow motion, fell to the sawdust-covered floor below, just missing the knife-scarred bar.

A set of blazing blue eyes and a full head of red hair framed a milk-pale and thoroughly angry Irishwoman's face, a woman who leaned over the railing, shook her fist and proceeded to scald varnish off the woodwork with the full-voiced and very profane power of her native language!

Cactus Jack moved quickly in the confusion. Drawing his revolver he “buffaloed” The dealer and dragged him through the backdoor before anyone knew where he had gone. Once the three cowboys figured out that the dealer was gone and the money was still on the table, they scooped it up and casually exited through the bat wing doors into the night. All things considered a good outcome for all concerned.

Just as everyone in the Saloon was looking at each other the doors sung open and Ranger Ed walked in .

The Ranger said I'm looking for a card game and a bottle .

Were is this dealer I heard so much about ?

Ranger Ed knew from the Sheriff his Brother was undercover dealing cards in the Saloon .

When Ranger Ed found out Cactus Jack buffaloed his brother, he wasn't too happy! Cactus Jack was outside in the outhouse and didn't know Ed's brother was the dealer. There's trouble brewing big time!

Meanwhile one of the other soiled doves, Allie Mo, :wub: grabbed Deborrah and pulled her out of the way.

"Now boys, let's behave yourselves. I'll have none of these shenanigans happening in my Saloon" bellowed the eloquently attired Madame Loreli Longshot. Spotting the handsome Ed entering her Saloon, she gave him a flirting wink. "First round of drinks are on the house", she offered, then sashaying to meet up with Ed, she turned to her girls upstairs and yelled, "Deborrah and Allie, get back to work!"

A the indian neared, the old man noticed that his hands were up because there was a bow in one of them and an arrow strung on it in the other,

Note: In then first part of this story the main character has a wound in his left shoulder. like proper B western hero, but a couple of entries later he puts the bandanna over the wound in his right shoulder.  Must be painful tying two wounded arms to a horses neck. No wonder he fainted.

Himself

4 minutes ago, The O'Meara Himself said:

Note: In then first part of this story the main character has a wound in his left shoulder. like proper B western hero, but a couple of entries later he puts the bandanna over the wound in his right shoulder.  Must be painful tying two wounded arms to a horses neck. No wonder he fainted.

Himself

Side Note:

In Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson was originally retired from the Army, for a shoulder wound. In a later story, he mentioned his old leg wound.

And now back to our irregularly scheduled story.

Hearing The Madams call, one of the girls called back, "We ARE at work!"

19 minutes ago, The O'Meara Himself said:

A the indian neared, the old man noticed that his hands were up because there was a bow in one of them and an arrow strung on it in the other,

Himself

Himself,

Not to worry. I've been cutting and pasting these posts to WORD and doing a spell check and adding an occasional picture to supplement the story along with editing for the type of miscues you have mentioned.

This is to be expected with so many contributors to the storyline.

As Sgt. Sabre stated: Back to the story.

Cactus Jack looked out through a crack in the outhouse door. Seeing that the coast was clear he eased out and headed down an alley to the front of the saloon. He had left the dealer laying unconscious in the alley and had waited until he came to and stubbled away. The dealer would never know who buffaloed him and dumped him in the alley. This allowed him to maintain him cover as Old Pete the desert rat.

Ed got his drink as he looked around for Pete. Not seeing him he asked Bottles the Bar Keep if Pete was upstairs with Allie or one of the other gals.

Slipping through the bat wing doors on cat feet I eased up to the bar as Ed was talking to Bottles.

I said ‘Howdy Ed, I guess we has to have a lettle palaver. How’s bout I buy you nother drink and we set over thar at thet thar empty table in the back. Thet way we kin has us a privait confab’. Ed sez, ‘I don’t know Pete, I’m pretty steamed at you’. ‘That fellow you buffaloed is my brother.’ 

‘Keep it down’, I said, ‘They’s ears about thet we cain’t let hear nuthin of which we speak’.

"I WILL NOT HA'E THE LIKES 'A' THAT FILTHY GALOOT PAWIN' AT ME WITHOUT PAYIN' ME GOOD MONEY BEFOREHAND! NOBODY HANDLES THE MERCHANDISE UNTIL I'VE HANDLED THE LOOT --"

The sharp sound of a slap cut off the screaming Irishwoman's words and another woman's voice, cold and quiet, allowed as she would keep a civil tongue in her head or she'd get another backhand, and the fight was on.

Having found boarding rooms at the Longshot Saloon and Boarding House, the Brett Black gang settled down for the night. Brett, Rye Miles, Maddog McCoy and the Cold Lake Kid settled down in their separate rooms and would regroup in the morning to deal with Ranger Ed.

After the rest of the gang bedded down, I sat in the window in the room watching for a while. Unknown to the rest of them, I had always played both sides of the law and had never gotten on a wanted poster, but I had a few close calls in the past. I had been a sheriff in a couple towns and milked them for protection until the money ran low, and headed a gang that made a lot of money and still had a good amount gold hidden that I could draw on every now. I did not have to worry about the gold as all the members of gang was 6 foot under due to a posse and feeding the last 2 to the hogs when they called me out that one night.

From my window, I saw the dealer staggering out of a alley across the street and then saw  a man come out of the outhouse and follow the dealer to see he was gone and slipped back into the saloon. It was too dark to make out the man that went in to the saloon, but I wanted to have a talk with that dealer as something must have been going on with him as this man was watching his back and draggin him out was just a ruse to provide the dealer cover.

I changed out of my white outfit and put on my buckskins and moccasins and left thru the window in my room.  I never like a room with a balcony outside but sometimes they were useful and it was the only private room left anyhow. I found the dealer across from the saloon and rubbing his head. He still had not figured out what had happen to him and slipped up behind him and put the blade of my knife to his throat.

The dealer froze as he felt the cold steel at his neck.

"Whoever you are, you best not hurt me, my brother is a ranger and he will hunt you down!"

"I guess if you are going to cheat at cards, you need a Lawman as your brother, what is his name?"

"Ranger Ed"

At this point, I drew my Colt and brought the barrel down on the top of his head and he fell like a sack of flour, just kidda limp.

Just what we needed, a ranger and his idiot kid brother and now there is no telling who else may be backing them up.

Mean wile the Saloon girls was working overtime with all the Cowboys in town .

The drinks was flowing and the Saloon was full .

The little trouble that took place seemed to come and go with out anyone really slowing down .

The cowboys started getting loose and the gals was taking advantage of the situation. 

This was looking to be a profitable night for Allie and the other gals .

I pounded on the sheriff's office door and until I got a reply and then door opened  slowly. Sheriff John York was standing there with a shotgun.

"Here is dealer from the saloon, he is a cheat and I would have shot him, but he did not have a gun, Lock him up and I will be back tomorrow"

Sheriff John York looked at the man on the floor and you could tell he knew who he was.

"Who are you"

"J.D. McCoy"

" I heard of sheriff that went by that name. He disappeared and nobody knew what happened to him. Are you him?"

" I will be back tomorrow. If he is not here, you will answer for the money I lost"

I turned and walked away. I could feel him watching me until I went in the alley by the boarding house.

I heard him shut the door to the jail and I snuck back to my room. I would have to inform the rest of the gang in the morning.

Ed settled down enough to allow me to buy a bottle with two glasses and follow me to the table. We sat down with our backs to the walls and a good view of the saloon and it’s contents. 

I said, ‘Well thet was a surprize bout the gambler feller bein yoor brother.’ ‘I dint mean him no harm, but he wus bout to get his ticket punched.’ ‘Them three cowboys he was cheat’n was gunna call him out n’ he wasn’t likely to beat all three to the draw.’ So when thet doxy upstairs flipped thu other feller over the rail I whapped him on the nogg’n n’ drug him out’n there.’ ‘He’ll hev a sore haid but he’ll survive, fur now.’ ‘If’n he keeps up thet grade of play he wunt last long in this town.’ ‘I hope yuh ain’t too mad at me fur butt’n in.’

Jack told Ranger Ed I dumped him out back by the outhouse 

Ranger Ed dismissed him self from the table and went out if find his brother.

When Ed found his way out back he found he was not alone .

A few of Brett Black's gang was also out back looking for the card dealer .

The members of the Black gang looked at Ranger Ed and said 

What you looking for Ranger ? Another bullet !

Then Ranger Ed 

I was worried about Ed wandering around in the dark behind the saloon. So I asked Bottles for the loan of his scatter gun from behind the bar and followed Ed out back.

Seeing the Black Gang getting aggressive towards Ed, I yelled "Drop them guns"!! The gang turned towards me as I cocked the hammers back on that 10 gauge. The sound of the hammers was enough to cause them to freeze. "Now boys I am almighty twitchy with this here scatter gun, but I doubt I'll miss many of you with the first shot." "Should you sort of wander off into the alley there I might be favorable towards not blowing you all to Hades." "Ed, I recon this is the time to use some 'discretion as the better part of valor'".

Fortunately Brett Black decided that the ruckus a gun fight would make was not to his advantage. I could see that that Maddog McCoy was on the prod and ready to pull iron so I sort of swung the barrel of that scatter gun directly his way. I figured Maddog was the most dangerous man of the gang as he was willing to shoot with out provocation if he saw an advantage. So I figured to reduce his advantage as much as possible. Even though I was known to the gang as an informant I figured from now on I'd have to watch my self with Maddog. I knew he wouldn't back shoot me, but he'd face me and put one in my gut to watch me die in agony if he had the chance. So Brett says, 'Put up your irons boys this fandango is over'. 'We'll fade for now Pete, but don't interfere with us again or you'll taste lead'.

Excuse me: A short interruption but is this now one PARAGRAPH instead of ONE SENTENCE???:P

Well it sort of got to be that way. If we need to cut it back I will try to control myself. What does Kit say?

one last blast before you cut me off!

After the gang passed down the alley I said, ’Ed we need to talk’. ‘I can’t keep bailing you out of scrapes without blowing my cover’. “What do you mean, cover, and why are you talking funny, I mean normal?”, asked Ed.

‘I’ll tell you all about it over at the Sheriff’s office’. ‘Meet me there in 10 minutes’. ‘I need to return this scatter gun to Bottles and slip in the back door of the jail so the gang doesn’t see me’.

Once we were huddled in the Sheriff’s office with John York I laid it out to Ed. ‘You know of Captain Jack Hays from headquarters?’ “Yup”, said Ed, “what’s he got to do with this?” ‘Well I work directly for Ol Jack, and he sent me here to try and sort out this Brett Black gang business.’ “ Are you trying to tell me you are a Texas Ranger?” ‘That’s what I’m saying and John York will have to be my bonifidees as I have no other identification to prove it.’ ‘If I carried my badge or any documents with me and the gang were to get their hands on them, I’d be dead meat.’

‘My cover as Old Pete the desert rat requires me to speak in an exaggerated vernacular.’ 

‘Thet way young feller I kin pass m’self off as a crazy coot who’s been in the desert too long n’had m’brain pan fried, heh heh’

Hey Pards,

The original intention was to get as many readers involved in the storyline.

A single sentence or two was the original plan.

Understanding that it may be hard at times to finish a thought, some have embellished (including myself) their entries.

I would like to get back to more members participating to mix things up, with shorter entries.

Hope this clarifies things a little better.

"Must be an advertisin' trick," Jerez mused as the floating pastel perfumed ribbon draped itself over his forearm as he raised the mug of beer for another drink

In the jail,I asked Ed, ‘Well how do you feel about working together, me from inside the gang, you outside?’ ‘Think we can make that work?’

As Ed steps out and gives his horse a drink of beer, he looks over at the Saloon and sees a light burning from the corner 2nd floor room.

The light suddenly went out and a cowboy crawled out the window on the to small porch.

The cowboy climbed down the side of the building and ran in the dark alley!

Jerez ran the perfumed ribbon between his fingers, then looked thoughtfully up at the railing above, where he'd seen that pale faced woman screaming after the fellow that come a-sailin' down to land flat on his back on the sawdust floor.

Archived