SASS Wire Forum

WTB 220 SWIFT

Dungannon Gunner

My opinion, but the 220 Swift is one of the most under rated varmint calibers.

I use to varmint hunt with a LEO armorer and his choice of 'exterminator force' was a custom built 220 Swift.    Man O Man, would that thing shoot.

Besides RUGER, I think Savage also produces a nice 220 Swift in either their Model 12 or 10 series, but not sure.

p.s. - my favorite is the 6mm BR.

..........Widder

Howdy,

I used to be in the Varmint hunter club.

One convention John Laroquette showed up.

He was very nice, very approachable.

His favorite rifle was the 220 Swift.

He didn't care that its a bit of a barrel burner.

I bet he could afford a barrel.

I assume you are going varmint hunting.

A great choice for a backup gun is the .223 for closer shots.

No rule against saving a little with one to off set the expensive one.

We had one lady get competition fever, she went to the dakotamart

bought a ruger in 22-250 a scope and a big box of store ammo.

Won her class.

Give Ruger a look.

Best

CR

I have a ,220 that is Ackley Improved. (case taper removed and sharper shoulders) It is a real shooter, consistant 100 yard groups of less than 1/2".

The "barrel burner" was well deserved, I say well because in todays world, I don't think that is the case. Mine is a custom build with a Shilen stainless match barrel. Todays modern slow burning powder offer many choice to the reloader and are very efficient. I use Reloader 15 and Sierra match  53 HPBT bullets.

220 Imp Swift with Chrono.jpg

.220 AI Swift 3 shot group 002.JPG

There is an old Gun Digest article about a Canadian that fed his family on moose, bear, elk, caribou and deer all with the Swift.  Bullet location, location, location.

I used the 03 action because I had one and also had the thumbhole stock that was inletted for an 03. Many years ago I made the stock for a custom 25-06 I did with an 03 action. I found out the thumbhole is really awkward for hunting, having to take your thumb out of the stock to work the safety.  Restocked the .25 with a standard style stock and just stored the thumbhole for 25 years.

I bought another 03 action at our local gun show and decided to build a varmint rifle using the stock and action. Always like P.O. Ackley and his wildcat cartridges. I used a Shilen match Stainless barrel, Timney Trigger and had my friend Ken Griner (Griner's Gunworks) build up my dream.....and does it shoot!

Great caliber !!!

I have used it on Critters from Richardson Ground Squirrels to Large Canadian Wolves ...

The .222 Rem. will handle shots out to 350 yards (200 yards on Wolves) here on the windy plains just fine .

The .204 Ruger shoots nice and flat and handles smaller critters out to 500 + yards .

But if you want the most out of a ,22 caliber gun the Swift is It ...

If you need more, step-up the bore size to .6 mm Reminton or even better .25-06 ....

Jabez Cowboy

I also shoot a 25-06. It is a Ruger M77 I've had since I bought it new in 1975. It is my main weapon for deer & antelope. Probably bagged over 100 of then critters. great eating too.

I had a Ruger #1 bull barrell .220 Swift.  It was the most accurate rifle that I have owned, 5 shots in one hole at 100 was the norm.  I sold it because I really didn't have a need for it any more.  It got to the point that all I was doing with it was punching paper and loadig ammo.

Blackfoot

My .220 Swifts are heavy barreled guns one a Remington 700 the other a Ruger 77...

Both will shoot 5 shot groups under 1 1/2 inches at 300 yards ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived