SASS Wire Forum

New Vaquero 357 Mag blued 5 1/2

Cowboy Carty

Excellent serial number.......excellent price.  If not sold by the time Winter Range rolls around......I may grab it.

OkD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Ok, I’ll ask.  What makes this particular SN desirable?

I was wondering the same thing. Does this mean there are a series of SN's that shooters should avoid?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 5:39 PM, Caboose said:

I was wondering the same thing. Does this mean there are a series of SN's that shooters should avoid?

There was a perception at one time, that the 510 and 511 series were abit easier to work on for certain gunsmiths.  I am not certain, but the 512 series had some slight modifications internally to them( coming from the factory of Ruger), which to some of those working on them, created a bit more time/work to make them like earlier versions.  Those perceptions may have gone away, after all, any gun can be modified by most of the current gunsmiths, it may be just a matter of time and your cost. :D

Also, I am not for sure, but I think the color case hardening went away and now you only have stainless or black receivers.  I prefer the color case of the receiver of the 510-511 series.  May be a personal thing.  

11 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

There was a perception at one time, that the 510 and 511 series were abit easier to work on for certain gunsmiths.  I am not certain, but the 512 series had some slight modifications internally to them( coming from the factory of Ruger), which to some of those working on them, created a bit more time/work to make them like earlier versions.  Those perceptions may have gone away, after all, any gun can be modified by most of the current gunsmiths, it may be just a matter of time and your cost. :D

Also, I am not for sure, but I think the color case hardening went away and now you only have stainless or black receivers.  I prefer the color case of the receiver of the 510-511 series.  May be a personal thing.  

Thanks Pard..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived