SASS Wire Forum

I have a Norinco 97 with a short stock for a lady or child. Would like to purchase a normal, standard length stock. not familiar with this issue so if other info is needed, please ask. You may message me at 817.313.0911.

Thanks

Caddo  

What's the length of your stock, I may have full length one to trade you.

4 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

You could scab on a piece of wood to the end. Shape it to fit and then cover with a leather butt cover. Quick and dirty fix.

What Goody said, unless you find a stock much cheaper than I've had luck.  How a simple piece of machined wood can cost so much is beyond me.

7 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

What Goody said, unless you find a stock much cheaper than I've had luck.  How a simple piece of machined wood can cost so much is beyond me.

Because there is no demand for the stocks so from now on almost all must be hand duplicated. This process takes about 2 hours to set up and 6 hours of hand routing.

And that depends on if you happen to have a pattern stock on hand and a duplicating setup to hold the router.

It's one of the most precise pieces of woodworking that is done anymore.  There may be more complicated carving done (like in India), but not the precision fitting that stocks need both inside and out.  And a stock is a large and odd shaped piece.  As AoH detailed above, it's worth every cent if you have to do the work with hand tools.

Hats off to all the folks still making fine wood stocks!  Sure a lot prettier than a chunk of black ABS plastic or fiberglass. 

Good luck, GJ

Archived