SASS Wire Forum

Which shot shell press do you like?

Dead Eye Jake

If you are bolted down, run a fence of 1/4 round around the machine, bore a hole and place pvc pipe.

I use a Ponsness-Warren 800 Plus and it dumps out the back. Right into a 4" hole with a big vent tube to the pan on the floor. Once in a while, everything gets swept down the tube.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 8 MEC presses in various Gauges .....

So you could say I like them .....

One is strictly set-up for loading Steel Shot in 3 and 3.5 inch 12 ga. shells ...

Jabez Cowboy

I went to the Spolar Website to check prices and found the Spolar Gold goes for $1995.00 :blink: But beneath that it says, "Includes one garage"... OK, so that's a pretty sweet deal...

... then I put my glasses on and it actually says, "Includes one gauge". :lol:

1 hour ago, Texas Bart said:

More money than I can afford. I'll stick with my MEC 9000 even though it's one gouge only.

Yeah, that Spolar is about 3 gouges in my book.   :lol:

I started with a Mec Sizemaster back when I started reloading shotshells..

After about 3 years

I kinda  got tired of pullin the handle 6 times (I think) fer a shell.. :blink:

I Sold it and found a used Mec Grabber for less $$.. :D

Rance ;)

Thinkin "Happy Camper" :rolleyes:

Those who say they can buy cases of shotgun shells for little more than what it would cost to reload - do these new shells have brass bases?  Or do they have steel bases?   If the former, where are you buying those?

52 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Those who say they can buy cases of shotgun shells for little more than what it would cost to reload - do these new shells have brass bases?  Or do they have steel bases?   If the former, where are you buying those?

Remington Gun Clubs and Federal Top Guns have steel bases but I have zero issues shooting them in any of my 2 shotguns. (Two 1887s, two baikals, and one Stevens 311.)  Other people do have issues with them. All you can do is buy a box and try them.

FWIW I  have 4 cases of Estates that will not work in any of my shotguns. However, others shoot them with no issues.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Howdy

I just grabbed a box of Remington Gun Clubs. No question, a magnet tells me the bases are steel with some sort of silver colored coating on them. Haven't bought any Rios or Estates in a few years, but I suspect they too have steel bases. Steel is going to be less expensive than brass.

Then I grabbed a Remington STS hull and a Winchester AA hull. Brass bases.

So what?

As I said earlier, I don't reload Smokeless shotshells anymore, because I can buy them for $60 per case or less. I shoot them once and throw them away. Don't care what the bases are made of.

For my Black Powder shotshells I prefer Remington STS. Not because the bases are brass but because the plastic is exrtra slick and ejects from a SXS more easily. I have a huge pile of STS hulls I have accumulated over the years, so I don't reload them after one loading with Black Powder either. I shoot them once and throw them away.

Now.......it is true that steel may not contract back to shape after firing the way brass will, and a fellow Trap shooter does not like steel bases because his very expensive Trap gun does not eject them reliably.  Steel based hulls in my old Model 12 are sometimes a bit stubborn to extract, but I ain't shooting for speed in Trap. Once I fire the shot I have all day to extract the empty.

I got a case of Winchester Alu base shells for a great price, but in one gun they stick in the barrel and the other gun I can't open the breach for about 5 sec after firing. I shoot them for the last two SG targets to get rid of them,  if I can shoot the SG last.

They are "hot" for a 1 1/8 target load. May try reloading them to low recoil spec w/ 1 oz and see if they stop swelling up.

Rem STX is the best so far. Used to soot AA's exclusively back in the day. Great for reloading (many times). 

If I didn't reload, I'd spring for Remmington's at any cost. We don't shoot that many of them to squabble over a few cents anyway.

Does anyone use a Ponsness Warren 800? My brother has one that he is happy to let me use.....Seems to do a beautiful job on Win AA's

Bugler

10 hours ago, Bugler said:

Does anyone use a Ponsness Warren 800?

Bugler

See Red Cent's reply about 8 up from this question of yours.

PWs are great shotshell presses, a little expensive for me cause I'm not breaking clays 4 weekends a month for a living.  :lol:

13 hours ago, Bugler said:

Does anyone use a Ponsness Warren 800? My brother has one that he is happy to let me use.....Seems to do a beautiful job on Win AA's

Bugler

Bugler....talk to Mt. Prairie Dog...Leroy. He had a PW (I don't know which series) he now has a Dillon. His PW had a part break after about a year I think he said, and PW doesn't warrantee the product. They did tell him he could send it in (on his dime) and they would fix it (on his dime ) and send it back (on his dime).

The Dillon has a Warranty. I use a MEC 9000 and I know it doesn't have a warranty especially after 10 years of use. So far it's still working good.

My point is I wouldn't buy a PW if I could afford one. If I need a different re-loader it'll most likely be another MEC, mostly because I have several charge bars and a LOT of powder bushings. BTW I did NOT say PW's were bad units. I just relayed an instance that for the money they charge, it should have a warranty.

If you think you would like to know more about the Spolar here is a link to a youtube video all about it.  http://www.spolargold.com/videos.htm

There is a nice looking lady that tells you all about it and demonstrates how it works.

Deuce Stevens,

Those whose Sense and Sensabilities require that they make use of the Holy Black, find that with Time, they feel the need for Full-length Brass-Only Shell Casings in order to feel even more historically correct.

It is truly an incurable obsesian !

Winchester AA's are just for learning the Basics.

----------------------

I've shot many times with a really fun cowboy by the name of

"D M Yankee".

I never asked him what he had on his loading bench,

but ON THE FIRING LINE, ten percent of his shotgun loads delivered enough MIXED COLORED FEATHERS to redecorate a Black Bird.

An almost always unexpected Visual Display for the new shooters.

Archived