SASS Wire Forum

Which shot shell press do you like?

Dead Eye Jake

Which shot shell press do you like?  I reload pistol calibers on a 650 Dillon.  I haven't started reloading shot gun shells.  Which press would be best to start out with, and is it cost effective to reload shot shells?  Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

See ya down the trail.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Mec Jr but I don't reload shotgun much.  Unless you need a special load, like black powder, it's not really a big cost savings to load your own.  Wait until Winchester is offering their annual $2 per box rebate on AA.  You can get them for less than $7.00 a box after rebate.   If you want a special light load or black powder, you'll have to load your own, and many people do.  It's just not worth the effort for me at this time.

Like??? 

This is the Cadillac of them all!

Spolar Gold

image.jpeg

I use a MEC 9000...I can load 3-400 per hour if and when I get that motivated....usually I do 2-300 max. By then my arm is tired from pulling the handle. It takes more time refilling the powder and shot bottles than loading 25 shells and the primer tray will hold 200 primers. It's a progressive press. Each time you pull the handle it's another shell done.

The Lee Load all is a good little re-loader if you don't need to churn out hundreds at a time. It's pretty much a simple but efficient press for the money. It's under $100.

Mec 600 Jr., mostly for BP loads.  But, Badlands Bob is correct.  By the time you buy shot, primers & gather hulls, it's not real cost effective to load your own.  If you use reclaimed shot, you can shave off a few cents, but I figure my time spent is time I could be loading metallic cartridges, which is where the real savings are.  Often those savings cover the cost new shotshells... ;)

I load on a Dillon SL900 that my dad bought when he was shooting a lot of skeet and trap. It is a big, expensive and complicated machine that does a lot of shells in a hurry. Way more than i need for cowboy even loading for two . It is fascinating to watch all that happen at once.

Imis and my $.02

I use a MEC Sizemaster. I shoot AA Featherlights and they run $9 a box around here, even if you buy a case. I can reload them for about $4.80 a box so the savings is real.

I use a MEC 9000 for loading smokeless for my wife and once I get started its hard to stop...a complete shell with every pull. For my BP I use a MEC Jr and a PW. Mostly the MEC. I did start with the Lee load All cannot beat it for the money. That said you can usually find a good deal on a used MEC Jr. Take your time and get with a pard that does reload shotgun to get down the basics.

Hochbauer

6 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

Mec 600 jr.  I have a load I like that doesn't match what you can buy.   It's not a major difference, but, for me, it's what I like.

What he said!  shoot.gif

Starting out one of the non progressive MECS.  I have been using a 600 jr that I bought used 35 years ago.

I have a MEC 76 series progressive. It takes a lot of finesse but will crank out the shells.

As stated above you will be hard pressed to save enough money to pay for one just shooting CAS. My Smokeless loads cost $7.00 a box Reloading a box of smokeless shells costs me $5.75.. To pay for a new MEC 600 jr would take reloading about 180 boxes.  Depending on how much you shoot the payback can be a couple of years.

Only reason I reload shotgun shells is because I shoot Frontier Cartridge Duellist and BP shells are over a dollar a piece to buy.

Probably hi jacking the thread. But if you are not going to replicate a Featherlight or equivalent load or loading BP I have found after 16 years of CAS that loading shotshells is a waste of my time personally. Using a average for what I can find components for (I consider my self lucky because we have a lot of choices locally) I can load a AA or STS type shells for $6.22 a box. Let say you go with a LEE Load All ($55 shipped on Amazon). The price per box would save me $1.78 per box when compared to what I can get AA's for. But I have to pay for that press first before I start saving money, which using my math I'll have to load 30 boxes till I can start that $1.78 a box. Keep in mind that is using the cheapest machine available on the market, a used mec junior will double the amoun of boxes loaded to pay for the press. I've never done the math on press cost versus savings over time. 

I found a shell  (Federal Target Load TG 12EL 8) that works really well for me in a '97 , it's not as light of a load as Featherlite but not bad and it's a ribbed shell  but price is really good. I Oder them online by the case and got free shipping because I spent over a certain amount , great shell for a '97 maybe not for a light sXs like a SKB.

I have a Mec Sizemaster that I can load on to duplicate the Winchester low recoil shells if I need to. Works great for loading for 1 or 2 people for a cowboy match.

Recently I bought a SKB to play around with and with Factory Winchester Low recoils it did not want to open consistently  seems like primers are soft and firing pins hanging up, tried reloads and gun operated perfectly so if I decide to shoot this gun I will probably reload.

AO

I also load for Skeet and Trap so I use a MEC 9000.  But I also load a 7/8 oz load with a lower powder charge for cowboy.  You cannot buy 12 ga. shells with a 7/8 load and a light powder charge.  If you are recoil sensative and need a light load you can spend the money ($9) on AA light or make you own for under $5.  A good MEC Grabber or even a Sizemaster would do you well for cowboy shooting.

To specifically answer your question of which presss would be best to start out with the answer is Lee Load All. It is cheap and simple as a stone hammer, it doesn’t require a lot of room and there are no fiddly adjustments. Like you I load cartridges on an XL650. The Load All is way simpler. I use it to augment factory rounds that I buy on sale when I can find them cheap. The Lee Load all is a fun little machine. It’s not a long term plan but it’s the perfect place to start.

I've liked using Mec 600 Jr and an old Bair non-progressive presss from the 1970s.  I've detested Lee LoadAll and RCBS Minigrand presses.  What I use now is a Mec Grabber (because, mainly, it resizes the brass bases very well).

I no longer trust Winchester factory loads.  A way too large a percentage will not pass a gauge (loaded shell size) test.  And reloading in them is asking for bulges in the case walls caused by the new (ten years ago) switch to a two-piece base wad.

I now trust only Remington STS loads, and since the 1 ounce or lighter loading in STS is VERY hard to find, I load my own, even though I don't save money doing so.   Quality is much more important than the cost of a box of shells every match.

Good luck, GJ

25 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I also load for Skeet and Trap so I use a MEC 9000.  But I also load a 7/8 oz load with a lower powder charge for cowboy.  You cannot buy 12 ga. shells with a 7/8 load and a light powder charge.  If you are recoil sensative and need a light load you can spend the money ($9) on AA light or make you own for under $5.  A good MEC Grabber or even a Sizemaster would do you well for cowboy shooting.

Federal 12GA 2 3/4" 7/8oz Extra Lite Top Gun Target Loads, Shot Size 8. Item # FE-TG12EL

Slightly more recoil than a AA LNLR but darn close. Buy them on sale and they can be had for less than $6.50 a box delivered to your door. Work flawlessly in all 3 of my SXSs and both of my 1887s

2 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I've liked using Mec 600 Jr and an old Bair non-progressive presss from the 1970s.  I've detested Lee LoadAll and RCBS Minigrand presses.  What I use now is a Mec Grabber (because, mainly, it resizes the brass bases very well).

I no longer trust Winchester factory loads.  A way too large a percentage will not pass a gauge (loaded shell size) test.  And reloading in them is asking for bulges in the case walls caused by the new (ten years ago) switch to a two-piece base wad.

I now trust only Remington STS loads, and since the 1 ounce or lighter loadin in STS is VERY hard to find, I load my own, even though I don't save money doing so.   Quality is much more important than the cost of a box of shells every match.

Good luck, GJ

Garrison Joe is spot on about AA hulls. I only reload Remington Gun Clubs and Federal Top guns for BP. If I reload smokeless for the wife I only use STS hulls.

25 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Federal 12GA 2 3/4" 7/8oz Extra Lite Top Gun Target Loads, Shot Size 8. Item # FE-TG12EL

Slightly more recoil than a AA LNLR but darn close. Buy them on sale and they can be had for less than $6.50 a box delivered to your door. Work flawlessly in all 3 of my SXSs and both of my 1887s

Never saw the Federal 7/8 loads.  I will have to look for them the next time I go to the gun store.

I use the Mec Jr. you can find them used and they work well. You will save money by reloading, but we don't shoot that many shotgun shells during a typical match. So is it really worth it? Mostly I've used mine for BP shells.

If your looking at cost savings there's probably better areas to explore other than shotgun shell reloading. That said I'll be reloading smokeless shotgun shells due to California's new ammo laws which will prevent mail ordering them. However I'd prefer to just pay a bit more and have them sent to me :)

Tully

I'm not up on Metric weights and measures. I live in the USA....I am use to pounds, ounces and feet and inches. Now that I quit whining, The AA lo recoil lo noise is 26 gram or close to 7/8oz from what I've been told.

I use only reclaimed shot and I save my AA hulls to reload. So far no problems with them. Some have been reloaded 4 or 5 times, then I give them to a fellow shooter and he loads BP then tosses the hulls.

Another CAS shooter and I were on a trip to a shoot in Vegas this spring. We were "camped" at the Clark County Range. There was a trap and skeet shoot that same weekend. The shooters don't save their hulls and the range gathers them up and tosses them in a garbage can. 2 evenings of garbage can diving produced about 2000  once fired hulls. AA's, STS's, Nitro Gold and AA Gray. That cuts down on the cost per shell to reload, even if you use/buy once fired hulls. Check your local trap and skeet club. Maybe you'll find some unwanted hulls there.

I use an old Dietermeyer 300!! Cool old semi-progressive that makes the prettiest 2 3/4” reloads ya’ ever seen!

21 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I use an old Dietermeyer 300!! Cool old semi-progressive that makes the prettiest 2 3/4” reloads ya’ ever seen!

And sounds cool too!   "Just broke out the Dietermeyer and loaded up some shells":D

Archived