SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Physical Therapy.....Help please!

Kirk James

I am having a total shoulder replacement on Tuesday.  Today, I had a blast shooting with the Payson Cowboys and my son Cody James.  Could not think of a better way to prepare myself for the next four months.  The company and stages Rowdy Lane put together for us were just what the doctor ordered: creative, challenging and tested many of the skills needed to be successful.  On the two hour drive home,  I could not help but think of all the great times our family has had due to cowboy action shooting.  Going through a major surgery will force me to take several months off. If any of you have had major surgery and couldn’t practice, please let me know what I can do to maintain skills.

Go to the shoots and help with the posse duties until you can shoot again.   I had eye surgery and had to lay out for a while.  It was doing this that helped keep me sane.

All you can do is the therapy. I had a total reconstruction of my left shoulder a few years ago and was back in about 9 months but everyone heals at a different rate. Do what the doc tells you to do and don't push to hard or you could have a set back. 

My knee incident is pretty well documented but what a lot of folks don’t know is that I had to have a shoulder repaired a few years before that. In both cases I used the down time to practice fundamentals. At your level it’s 10ths and 100ths of seconds that make the difference between 1st place and “also ran”. But you can’t gain those fractions of a second without a good foundation. Sight acquisition, breathing, trigger control, etc. Practicing those as much as possible will pay big dividends in the long run.

Sending prayers for a fast and full recovery, my friend. And give that son of yours a punch in the arm for me. :D

As has been said, the doctors actually have your best interest at heart, so DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU!!!!!

No need to push it, this is a long term project that you can come back from, better than before or .... You can do what you think you need to do and spend the next few years wondering what could have been:unsure:

Your  skills are NOT going to disappear, and the degradation is correctable with practice once your body is whole again. Besides you have two of the best to work you over when you have healed!:D

Looking forward to seeing you at WR and prayers are already on the way to the Boss upstairs for complete healing, removal of pain and favor as you go forth in life.

Respectfully

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Kirk, I can't suggest any skill maintenance since I've always been on the receiving end of your sage advice.  Just don't rush anything but do keep coming to Payson, it only takes one hand to hold up the dynamite stick and you're the best spotter we have!  Hope all goes well.

Had both of my shoulders replaced. Left in November of 2016 and right in late February of this year. I did all the physical therapy and was back shooting in late May. I have had no problems since surgery and the shoulders are great....full range of motion and no pain.

55 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Had both of my shoulders replaced. Left in November of 2016 and right in late February of this year. I did all the physical therapy and was back shooting in late May. I have had no problems since surgery and the shoulders are great....full range of motion and no pain.

Non shooting related advice here. I’ve had both knees and one shoulder put back together. When doing your physical therapy the worst but arguably most important part is range of motion. No matter what, don’t neglect range of motion exercises. If you lose it, you’ll never get it back. 

25 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Non shooting related advice here. I’ve had both knees and one shoulder put back together. When doing your physical therapy the worst but arguably most important part is range of motion. No matter what, don’t neglect range of motion exercises. If you lose it, you’ll never get it back. 

That's the truth right there. Lost almost total range in both ankles after a fall. But.... they said they were going to amputate till my bride said NO. Then they said I'd never walk again. HA. Cowboy shooting is still my therapy. At the last shoot Kaya and I got to go to together she said "Daddy! You RAN!" Yes, yes I did. Thankyou!

I have had a knee replacement in 2002, a total ankle replacement (2014) and the 2 shoulders I mentioned. I have full range of motion on all of the replacement joints. Worked my butt off in PT to get it all back. Hurt like hell sometimes, but totally worth the effort. I have been really lucky to have worked with a great PT person. He understood what I wanted to accomplish and we both worked to that goal.

Brian Enos' book "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" has a bunch of "dry"drills that are for pistol shooters.

When you're at the point of recovery that you can hold up your revolver they would be helpful.

Good luck with your surgery and hope you'll still be out to see us during your recovery.

If the surgery is on your dominant side, try dry firing a revolver with the weak hand during recovery.

Gunfighter and Duelist can be added to your shooting styles after many months of forced practice..

Amarillo Rattler

Left ankle from jumping was repaired in 2016, right knee from jumping, rugby and auto accident repaired multiple times, right hip from rugby and recently quintuple open heart surgery have rquired some PT and changes in shooting methods. Currently, I am told not to shoot shotguns nor rifles for about one year. However, my experience indicates that you can continue to have fun with shooting. Helping on the LT, UT, spotting, cooking, etc. can keep you in the sport until your various body parts have begun to heal. Since my preferred weapons are pistols and revolvers, dry firing with them keeps your muscles in tune. Life would really suck if I had to give up NRA bullseye, SASS and CFDA so I HAVE NOT!!!!

Mine was leg surgery as you know and I just sat down in a chair and went thru dry fire drills. But a shoulder is a whole lot different I had shoulder reconstruction back in the mid 80’s and it was 6 months before the doctor would let me do anything with that arm about 4months before I could do much with the other other than light tasks.  I know thing are different now as most are fully recovered by 6 months from what I read here.do what you can under the drs advice.

Hi Kirk, I don't know about sanity (never had much to speak of) but, do work on range of motion. Shoulder strength will come back as you progress. YOU WON'T DO MUCH FOR A FEW WEEKS. Edit to add: total rt shoulder replacement Nov. 2016 and about 10 sessions of physical therapy . For strength,  I started by lifting cans of soup straight out to the sides and up as high as I could reach. Strength and range come back very quickly. Work on drawing from your holsters. DO WHAT THE DOCTOR SAYS! Each surgery has different protocols. I was shooting my shotgun in about 4 months. Little bit sore but, got through 6 stages! HA! As others have said, go to shoots and just hang out. Best wishes.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.  It was a tough surgery.  Lasted four hours rather than two.  It has been three weeks now and the therapist has been great.  Cannot move my shoulder without the therapist moving it for three more weeks.  Then then the exercises begin.  Range of motion looks great according to the therapist.  Doctor is really pleased how it came out and knows how much I love this sport.  Will see you at Winter Range as a spectator and will be volunteering at speed rifle.  I miss shooting with everyone and will be back soon.

On 12/18/2017 at 6:18 AM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

Hey NOZ 

I AIN'T sure it worked in your case   :P 

love ya bro 

CB 

You understand I am speaking in relative terms?

On 12/22/2017 at 8:42 AM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Left ankle from jumping was repaired in 2016, right knee from jumping, rugby and auto accident repaired multiple times, right hip from rugby and recently quintuple open heart surgery have rquired some PT and changes in shooting methods. Currently, I am told not to shoot shotguns nor rifles for about one year. However, my experience indicates that you can continue to have fun with shooting. Helping on the LT, UT, spotting, cooking, etc. can keep you in the sport until your various body parts have begun to heal. Since my preferred weapons are pistols and revolvers, dry firing with them keeps your muscles in tune. Life would really suck if I had to give up NRA bullseye, SASS and CFDA so I HAVE NOT!!!!

Ask permission from your match director to be allowed to shoot Josey Wales.  5 revolvers, no rifle and no shotgun.

Our club is quite informal. We allow any style. The out of town club is the same. :-)  However, thanks for the advice!!

12 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.  It was a tough surgery.  Lasted four hours rather than two.  It has been three weeks now and the therapist has been great.  Cannot move my shoulder without the therapist moving it for three more weeks.  Then then the exercises begin.  Range of motion looks great according to the therapist.  Doctor is really pleased how it came out and knows how much I love this sport.  Will see you at Winter Range as a spectator and will be volunteering at speed rifle.  I miss shooting with everyone and will be back soon.

Super news. Keep at it -it will get better.

Well Kirk James just listen to your Doctor and stay with it. Therapy will definitely help. Thoughts and prayers for you pilgrim. I just had another surgery on another hernia in the belly button and I'm out of commission for 4-6 weeks and advised not to lift more than 5lbs. Therapy is walking at this time.

Take care:

Thanks everyone and good luck on you recovery Jackrabbit Joe.

Archived