SASS Wire Forum

1860 trigger screw hole.

July Smith

Just broke down a new Pietta 1860 to remove the factory oil and check for burs.  Anyone else notice something odd about the threads on the hole for the trigger screw?  Obviously this is less than ideal, but is it a serious safety issue?

2E15BF24-D13B-473F-98AC-2EB1A0C99C4E.jpeg

59262011-54D2-4E73-AB2E-E00217CBB964.jpeg

Howdy

I just took a Pietta 1860 apart for a look see. Not quite as bad as yours, but the threaded hole for the trigger screw on my 1860 does break through slightly into the slot hogged into the side of the frame to clear the hand. Ever so slightly.

I dunno if the hole is drilled and tapped first, or if the slot was hogged out first, but I would not sweat it. To my eye there is clearly plenty of metal left on the tapped hole to capture the screw correctly. The screw is not a 'moving part' in the gun, it is not going to cause undue wear on the frame unless you remove it a zillion times.

I wouldn't sweat it. Chances are if you send it back, the replacement will have the same condition. There is very little clearance between that hogged slot and the threads of the screw hole, so I am not surprised the slot broke through into the outer diameter of the threads. Next time I take a Colt apart I will take a close look at how close the threads are to that slot.

26 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

I wouldn't sweat it. Chances are if you send it back, the replacement will have the same condition. 

Thank you all for the replies.  I think I will simply live and let it be for now.

Loctite it and forget about it .

She could be the best shooter in the. whole bunch !

Rooster 

Archived