SASS Wire Forum

Paper Cartridges in Frontiersman allowed?

Rancho Roy

Roy you can rip the end of the paper but kind of defeat the purpose 

I experimented with paper cartridges and it was cool

i even ran a nipple pick to poke a hole in the paper 

I did experience a delay between the cap and the main charge going off 

I’m not fast but the delay sometimes was enough that I pulled off target before the charge went off

also there was paper ash left in the cylinders and in the nipples 

Just not enough time saver for me to use but your miles may very 

I'm just having fun....Something else to waste a little time on. I like being as authentic as I can, to see what they experienced 150 years ago....Thanks

I shoot Frontiersman too. I have also bought cigarette tubes with filters (cut the filters off) and set them up to shoot in my muzzle loader rifle. Was fun and seemed like a traditional thing to do. I am all about that. But shooting cap guns is enough work as it is without making the  paper cartridges coming from someone that likes to roll crimp shotgun shells. Might have to put that on the list of things to do over the winter.

Hochbauer

16 hours ago, Bittertrigger said:

Roy you can rip the end of the paper but kind of defeat the purpose.

Not really, just twist the bottom end of the paper and when you put it in the cylinder rip off the twisted part. End of ignition problems.

kR

That's an interesting way of doing things in both videos, but it also looks like a LOT more work.  Imagine making up 60 of those the day before each match - instead of 2 minutes between each stage, it would take at least a couple of hours just to roll up cartridges.

Howdy

I don't shoot C&B much anymore, but I never saw the point of making up paper cartridges. One of the nice things about shooting C&B in CAS is you don't have to spend time at home loading up cartridges. Rifle ammo, check. Shotgun ammo, check. Pistol ammo, just load it up from a powder measure at the match. Most clubs will allow you to charge your cylinders away from the loading table, you can cap it at the loading table.

Some consider spending a night in the reloading room work .......some consider it therapy.......other look at it as a sanctuary ......

there are are few places i’d Rather spend my time than in my reloading room.

got up early this am, turned a new mandrel, made a bunch of cases out of rolling papers. Made a cookie cutter out of a 41 Magnum case.....loaded up a bunch of cartridges and went to the range in 25 degree weather.......had a blast!

the pistols are working great. 

Not it sure I’ll ever use them in a match. But I get great joy out of projects like this. 

You can see more of my “projects” involving firearms here:

rvbprecision.com

It looked like each cap was in some kind of holder that made it easier to handle.

Dave - that's a new one on me. Most folks use a capper.  Looks like in the video the fella had each cap in a tube - pressed them on the nipples and was done with each.  A plugged 22RF case to hold each cap? I'm only guessing.

Anyone else know what the fella is using in the 2nd video to cap the nipples ... Chime In!

Archived