SASS Wire Forum

Screw Knives

Hardcase Hardin

I've seen them referenced and I've seen them used in videos, Dang It Dan even uses em to eat his canned fruit (HawkeyeGin's playlist).  But I haven't seen any of our usual CAS retailers carry them. 

So, where do I get one, or does everyone just make one themselves?

www.redwingtradingcompany.com/shop

The originals.

Yep, they pricey,BUT the quality is extraordinary. And they look great. Mine has an eagle head, the sheath has a tab to attach to whatever you choose. I have mine attached to my strong side holster right in front of the hammer . Real quick access.  And they are great folks

Imis

4 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Yep, they pricey,BUT the quality is extraordinary. And they look great. Mine has an eagle head, the sheath has a tab to attach to whatever you choose. I have mine attached to my strong side holster right in front of the hammer . Real quick access.  And they are great folks

Imis

+1  When you get to the loading table and look down and see a loose screw (on a gun:D) they are great. Also if you raise a lifter on a '73 prior to staging they are perfect for pushing it back down so the rifle doesn't lock up.  Mine was a gift from a Buckaroo I helped get started but after seeing how handy they are I would definitely buy one.

Randy

3 minutes ago, El Muerto Negro said:

I have one looks great and works. But if you wanted you coukd take a screwdriver bit and put into a piece of brass. Cheap and works. 

EMN

I was thinkin maybe a stout paring knife, like an Old Hickory, with the tip nipped off and ground flat might work until I feel like treatin myself to one from the provided links.  They ARE purdy, I'll give ya that.

43 minutes ago, El Muerto Negro said:

I have one looks great and works. But if you wanted you coukd take a screwdriver bit and put into a piece of brass. Cheap and works. 

EMN

Capture.JPG

6 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

GOOD LORD!!  Them's some pricey lil blades!

Ya want the best, ya pay for the best. The wife and I each have one. Worth their weight in gold when you need on the line.

I took an old pair of scissors, trimmed and shaped them, and made some handles out of scrap wood. Works well for stuck cases, I also have a magnetic bit holder in a case at the 6 o’clock position in my belt, but haven’t had to use it. My screw knife looks a bit rough, but I wanted something that looked like a purpose built tool a cowboy may have created himself.

4 hours ago, El Muerto Negro said:

Perfect and what i did until i bought a Redwing. When it if you get one get the magnet to put in the sheath keeps if very secure. 

EMN 

Having your alias and SASS # Laser engraved on handle is good idea also.

Hi Hardcase,

What Seamus said:  Ya want the best, ya gotta pay for the best.  

I tried all the cheap imitations.  I finally got the Redwing screw knife from Mernickle and got the scabbard that loops on the gun-belt.

It is well worth the money!  It is not only functional, it is one good looking little tool!  It's beautiful!  Get the real thing, it'll pay for itself in no time.

Mo

I have an old Marbles Electricians screwdriver/knife that's come in very handy several times when shooting.... 

folded its only about 2 1/2" long and its really well made.

I think you can still get em for under $10

143415_143444.jpg.0fc231ede396aa4971cab02b72334225.jpg

19 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I have an old Marbles Electricians screwdriver/knife that's come in very handy several times when shooting.... 

I used carry something like that in my pocket all the time when I was a USAF mechanic.  No idea where it got off to.  Gonna have to see if I can track a Marbles down.  Have one of their camp axes, not bad for a lower end price tag.

Well that didn't take long.

https://www.amazon.com/Hen-Rooster-MR282-Electricians-Tactical/dp/B009SF35BO/ref=pd_bxgy_200_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YD2QA91T9MHZNWF4453J

I got the red one too.  Two is one, one is none.  Except for when it comes ta wives, of course.

Mine has the red Bone handle they look really nice

I just looked and its 3 1/2" folded and just over 6" open

Thanks for the link. Your gonna like yours....

I may just order myself another one... and maybe a few more for stocking stuffers.

3 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

$9.99 on Amazon!

10 hours ago, Red Rider Rudy said:

Took me 6 years of looking at them before I broke down and spent the money!  But already saved my butt twice this year.

I don't think my resistance is quite that strong.... I will call them Monday

59 minutes ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

I check all my screws the night before a match and keep a small Magna-Tip set and a stubby Handle in my cart. Never used it.

Gonna be ordering a bench set and a range set over the winter.  Gotta keep that purdy Yellowboy lookin good.

17 hours ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Scarlet also sells them

Thanks, Major!  The one I carry on my holster rig is a stag handle screw knife from Larry Page, Tucker T. Fudpucker!  None any more beautiful. 

Plus, he is a MOST generous supporter of SASS and sponsors any match he attends!

http://pagecustomknives.com/

Hugs,

Scarlett

On 12/15/2017 at 4:34 AM, Hardcase Hardin said:

GOOD LORD!!  Them's some pricey lil blades!

Check these out - they're real knives, but you can spend 5 minutes on a grinder and repurpose the blade and at this price it's no great loss if you bugger it up.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/453/4

Every time I scroll through the topic list and see, “Screw Knives”, I think to myself, “Heck yeah, those things are dangerous. You can cut yourself so easily, so screw ‘em!  Give me a sixgun any day!”

...and now back to our regular programming...

7 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

Check these out - they're real knives, but you can spend 5 minutes on a grinder and repurpose the blade and at this price it's no great loss if you bugger it up.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/453/4

Winnah, Winnah catfish dinnah!

That's just the sort of thing I go for.  I have a kit knife I got from Wilderness Outfitters (Dave Canterbury) last year,  Simple, solid and rugged wearing & looking. 

A couple minutes on the grinder (with a cup of water handy for quenching) and that'd make a dandy belt tool.  I got a bud that can make me a nice sheath for it too, prolly cost more than the knife!  :D

The screw knife I have was a very nice decoration on my gun belt but not very practical.  After using it to bugger up a couple of soft Uberti screw heads, I sent my favorite Grace gunsmith screwdriver to my leather craftsman and had a sheath made for it.

7 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

Winnah, Winnah catfish dinnah!

That's just the sort of thing I go for.  I have a kit knife I got from Wilderness Outfitters (Dave Canterbury) last year,  Simple, solid and rugged wearing & looking. 

A couple minutes on the grinder (with a cup of water handy for quenching) and that'd make a dandy belt tool.  I got a bud that can make me a nice sheath for it too, prolly cost more than the knife!  :D

Since you were involved in the Frontiersman threads lately and if you are not completely hell-bent on carrying the screwdriver on your body, then check this out.  I carry one of these in my cart in case I need a screwdriver or if I need to change out a nipple.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/cowboygunparts.com/X-handle-screwdriver.html

I have two of Redwing's screwknives...one regular and one for Wildbunch Shooting. The one for Wildbunch has a 1911 bushing wrench on one end and the screwdriver on the other. Very good quality and Redwing is one of the nicest people you could have the pleasure of knowing

Archived