SASS Wire Forum

Legal ammo carriage

Stump Water

When replying to the "Cartridge Loops" thread I noticed something.  I didn't want to hijack that thread so...

SHB p. 3

Ammunition required for loading/reloading during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooters person, in a bandoleer, cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, pocket, or be safely staged as required by stage instructions.

What does "holster" mean in this context?

We know what a cartridge/shot shell belt loop is.  We know what a pouch and a pocket are, and that ammo must be carried loosely in them.

How may ammo be carried in a holster?

31 minutes ago, Baddog Nobiscuit #46532 said:

For example, an Idaho John rig from Kirkpatrick.

What Baddog said: :rolleyes:

5a329f853b455_KirkpatrickIdahoJohnrig-RESIZED.jpg.f210161bf21d59f1e46431bb1d19eb5c.jpg

56 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

When replying to the "Cartridge Loops" thread I noticed something.  I didn't want to hijack that thread so...

SHB p. 3

What does "holster" mean in this context?

We know what a cartridge/shot shell belt loop is.  We know what a pouch and a pocket are, and that ammo must be carried loosely in them.

How may ammo be carried in a holster?

Stump Water:

Great question. Such a keen eye you have.....5a32a006d834f_LookingFor.JPG.c4e35dde6d75dd0328fdd2b0c5a0cdcc.JPG.

2 hours ago, Baddog Nobiscuit #46532 said:

For example, an Idaho John rig from Kirkpatrick.

What I assumed.  But with all the discussion the past few months about legal ammo carry I was a bit... puzzled(?)... when I saw "in a holster" (for all intents and purposes) instead if "cartridge loop on a holster".

Ahh well... if not for all the discussion the past few months I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

Before I had my current belt made I carried a couple of rounds under that strap that went across my cross draw holster. They never fell out and I didn't need added loops. Like the strap shown in the picture but mine didn't have cartridge loops.

1 hour ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Before I had my current belt made I carried a couple of rounds under that strap that went across my cross draw holster. They never fell out and I didn't need added loops. Like the strap shown in the picture but mine didn't have cartridge loops.

Knew a fellow that carried extra/reload rounds like that for years - and used 'em too.  A certain someone saw him use one for a reload at Mule Camp in 2006 and declared "illegally acquired ammo".   MD upheld it.

22 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

Knew a fellow that carried extra/reload rounds like that for years - and used 'em too.  A certain someone saw him use one for a reload at Mule Camp in 2006 and declared "illegally acquired ammo".   MD upheld it.

That's strange. Before I had my Buscadero set up made for me with sewn on loops, I traveled quite a bit. I shot in Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona and several clubs here in Montana. No one said anything about it not being legal. Maybe they didn't care or didn't notice it. I used it too a couple of times on the trips.

Like i said, Charlie, this fellow used his like that for years.  Until one day...

Prior to that "one day" I'd always carried a reload tucked behind my gun belt in front, so I wouldn't have to reach around back to get one.  As a result of that "ruling", when I had my next rig made, I had Mernickle put one cartridge loop between the left holster and the buckle.

loops sewn on holsters are legal,,,  cartridges tucked behind the strap on the holster are not legal....

and yes, the way it is written now is a problem

29 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

What wasn't legal and now is?  

What I remember is that there was no consensus on whether loops on the holster were legal or not. Then 6 or 8 years ago it was clarified.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

loops sewn on holsters are legal,,,  cartridges tucked behind the strap on the holster are not legal....

Yep.  And I'm pretty sure that all started with that "ruling" at Mule Camp in 2006.

56 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

What I remember is that there was no consensus on whether loops on the holster were legal or not. Then 6 or 8 years ago it was clarified.

What I remember too.   See previous post.  ;)

1 hour ago, Sawyer said:

Maybe, just maybe, someone thought that tucking rounds under the holster strap was a lot like tucking rounds into body orfices?

Why doesn't that amaze me? I can see where rounds tucked under the holster strap can be mistaken for a person's body orifice's. Now to figure out which body orifice it looks like. :huh::unsure:

Archived