SASS Wire Forum

Trivia Question - Workshops

I got lucky and my wife let me have a new woodworking shop built.  The question is:  Do any of you have coffee makers in yours?  If so, what kind?  (Don't tell my wife, she doesn't think much of the idea since I have a Thermos).  

Thanks for sharing.  

Frazee 

I have more methods of making coffee than anybody I know. I don't have a coffee maker in my hobby area / workshop / man-cave though. There are a few reasons for this, but it all boils down to room. My area is pretty tight, with barely enough room for the things I need and have on display. If I were to squeeze in a coffee maker, it would constantly be in my way. Additionally, I would still need to make trips for water to fill it, or constantly keep water in place for it. Again, a matter of space. If I had more space and a water source, you better believe I'd have one!

Just a cheap drip pot out there - I think I paid $9.99 at Walmart a few years ago. No running water, but there's a hydrant down toward the house maybe 35 feet away, so...

I don't have a coffee maker in mine but I have a sink and I am getting ready to redo my garage (shop). Years ago I had a regular old Mr.Coffee in my garage. It sat out in the open on a bench. It was okay but it got covered in dust and splattered with stain and various solvents and such and wood dust had worked it's way into the machine and reservoir. I finally gave it the heave ho and just made my coffee in the kitchen. 

Now that I am going to be renovating my garage in this house I plan to have a cabinet near the sink with power and I am thinking of one of those single serve units that I can keep in a cabinet away from all the dust and chemicals. The little K-cups are a bit pricey but will work just fine for me. Here is the coffee maker I was thinking about.  http://www.keurig.com/Coffee-Makers/Home-Coffee-Makers/Keurig®-K-Compact™-Coffee-Maker/p/K-Compact-Coffee-Maker They have these at Walmart.

By the way, if you would go with something like this don't bother with the generic basket that you can put your own coffee in. They do not work well with these things.

I'm not sure I'd want any food-prep stuff in my shop.  Airborne dust can get pretty bad, and I'd hate to think what it would do to coffee's taste.  Space is not a problem as I have a 2 car garage dedicated to furniture making.

When I want something hot or cold in my shop, I just make it in the kitchen and carry it down.

I use a Yeti insulated cup and the house is only 80 feet away so a fill up in the morning and a couple more during the day does the trick. If I had a coffee maker in the shop she’d have to wear a bikini and I wouldn’t get much work done.

Pat:  I was thinking of that, we use the Kuereg in the house and love it.  Pricy yes.  We buy the K-Cups at Costco, reasonable price, large quantity.

Yul:  My wife visits from time to time so maybe that isn't such a good idea.  Or maybe my wife could wear the bikini...she probably wouldn't. 

Thanks guys. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I'm not sure I'd want any food-prep stuff in my shop.  Airborne dust can get pretty bad, and I'd hate to think what it would do to coffee's taste.  Space is not a problem as I have a 2 car garage dedicated to furniture making.

When I want something hot or cold in my shop, I just make it in the kitchen and carry it down.

What's a little dust in the coffee? It's ruffage...good for ya. Keeps ya regular.

Howdy,

No concerns about lead getting into the coffee?

Dust from the bullets?

I think I would consider a little microwave to heat coffee

out of a thermos.  Unless the microwave could set off powder?

Clean fresh water is the key to good coffee.

And accurate measure. 

or just get the senior coffee at McD.

Its the bargain of the year. ymmv.

Best

CR

Archived