SASS Wire Forum

? Ruger Hammers

Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256

I have a couple questions about New Ruger Vaquero hammer modification.

To put a Blackhawk hammer in is it a drop in or does it require modifications 

Is the Blackhawk hammer the same as the hammer that comes in a Sass Vaquero?

Will Ruger install the different hammer if you send them the gun.

Thanks

Ruger will only install a new factory provided hammer, in stock configuration.  Period.  They don't have a "custom shop" that will do special requests. They will remove/replace any part that does not seem to be at factory configuration.

Good luck, GJ

The SASS Vaqueros have a Montado hammer I think and what are talking about are Super Blackhawk hammers. Both have similar low profile but Super Blackhawk have a more aggressive thumb pad. As GJ said Ruger will put everything back to stock if you send it to them. And as Larsen always says it is a drop in fit till it doesn't.

Randy

I installed Ruger Super Blackhawk hammers on my old model Vaqueros.  It was not a hard job, and mine were a drop in fit.  There is probably a video out there some where showing how to install the hammers.  I didn't like the wide spur so I ground the wide part off to the original thickness of the Vaquero hammers.

I installed Super Blackhawk hammers on my NMVs 3 or 4 years ago. They all dropped in, but I polished everything before installing. They have been a great addition and really help with the arthritic thumbs. And, I haven't had to do a "go around again" in a long time!  :lol:  :o

JC

There are good videos on Youtube on how to disassemble/assemble Ruger single action pistols.  The hammer conversion is pretty much a drop-in procedure.

At one time Ruger sold Montado hammers.  Montado hammers are no longer available as parts, but as Totes has shown in is pictures, Super Blackhawk hammers are the same hammer with groves rather than a pattern.   

Howdy,

These low wide hammers are out of stock sometimes.

They eventually make another batch so don't go paying a LOT for em

unless its really worth it to YOU.

And I believe they are all stainless but of course that CAN change.

And watch sometimes they have sharp edges or corners.

A LITTLE file work will fix that.  Even a knife sharpening stone can work.

The same ceramic stick that gives a razor edge to a knife can smooth that hammer.

Best

CR

On my Uberti  Stallion pistols  hammers changed to SBH ones and they work great. Two with SBH and two stock ones. .38 special's.

Really enjoy shooting with the SBH hammers.

Try to get photo to show them.

DSCN5144.JPG

DSCN5147.JPG

Roanoke Rifleman,

I have fairly large hands. On my original model Ruger Vaqueros the SBH hammer works very well for me, especially after installing grips that weren’t as wide at the bottom. Altamont “slim” grip panels. I am a Pistolero (Duelist). This set up works for 2 handed shooting as well.

On my NMV The SBH didn’t work out for me with stock grips. It seemed too low. I reinstalled the factory hammer. I bought some slim grip panels to try on that one with the SBH hammer. I haven’t tried that yet. If it works out, cool. If not she goes back to stock and becomes a backup gun.

Since I will not be shooting for at least 3 or 4 months, I may be having foot surgery...I say “may” as I am trying to wish away the inevitable. If you like, I can loan you an SBH hammer to try out. Send me a PM with your address and I will mail it to you. One caveat, I want it back! :D

1 hour ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

Thanks Pat , very kind offer. I have tried them. So once I install

them I’ll keep them in. 

You are welcome. I didn’t know you already had them...and I don’t blame you regarding keeping them in. Sometimes getting Vaqueros back together requires a special kind of cussing and 3 hands. :D

I bought a gun with them in , was deciding weather to install them in another gun or buy another with them in.

I have taken ruger apart before but like you say can be a lot of

frustration getting them back together.

Just now, Kingair said:

Totes what do you prefer : SBH or Montado ?

I like them both and 100% want them over the standard tall spur.  If forced to pick, probably the SBH hammers since they have a more aggressive surface.

Totes 

3 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

I like them both and 100% want them over the standard tall spur.  If forced to pick, probably the SBH hammers since they have a more aggressive surface.

Totes 

Gonna buy a pair - if Ruger has them in stock at least - and see what I prefer 

Got the Montado on my RNV SASS but who knows . . . ?

7 hours ago, Kingair said:

Gonna buy a pair - if Ruger has them in stock at least - and see what I prefer 

Got the Montado on my RNV SASS but who knows . . . ?

Midway may have them also ...../.

OLG, I just bought two Montado hammers from Ruger in October. The nice lady there told me they will only sell you two of them every 30 days, but they are available. The part number is KMVQ04008-2 , they should be $33.50 each with $5.00 shipping. Hope this helps

7 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

OLG, I just bought two Montado hammers from Ruger in October. The nice lady there told me they will only sell you two of them every 30 days, but they are available. The part number is KMVQ04008-2 , they should be $33.50 each with $5.00 shipping. Hope this helps

Perfect !

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

On my Uberti  Stallion pistols  hammers changed to SBH ones and they work great. Two with SBH and two stock ones. .38 special's.

Really enjoy shooting with the SBH hammers.

Try to get photo to show them.

DSCN5144.JPG

DSCN5147.JPG

Archived