SASS Wire Forum

Cartridge loops

Red Cent

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, Smokestack said:

The official channel would have been the TGs who apparently discussed it at the last summit bringing it back and informing those of us not privy to that meeting. Too bad that doesn’t seem to have happened. FWIW, nobody on FB made a ruling, he posted a response that he got from the ROC. 

Hello Folks,

It isn't in my Summit notes. I do remember a slide with angled loops being passed around. IIRC the ROC was going to discuss it further and let us know a ruling and we never heard anything.

PaleWolf is not well and was not at that Convention, so it may take some time to get a reply. I will check the TG Forum to see if Chuckroo had anything in his notes.

Regards,

Allie

After doing "searches" (TG Forum, Google, my notes) and finding nothing, I found this in my December 2015 notes.

Clarification Added at the Summit – Leather Designs

If you think of a new design or style for leather goods, please verify that it is allowed in the Rules. If you do not find anything about it, please contact a member of the ROC to ensure it is legal. More to follow on this.

Like I posted earlier, I didn't find "more."

FWIW;

I had a shotshell belt made that was questioned and pictures sent to PWB via Cockroach.  It was presented to the ROC and declared illegal because, even though there was an internal divider that separated the shells in to groups of 2, it appeared to be a 4 shell loop from the outside.

After being notified, I asked if that was the only issue and were they okay with the fact the the loops were mounted slanted at an angle.  The answer back from PWB was that it is also illegal because it was "not of traditional design".

CodyMaverick, could you post a picture of the "illegal" belt. I am trying to picture your description.

28 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

CodyMaverick, could you post a picture of the "illegal" belt. I am trying to picture your description.

Sure,

IMG_0689.thumb.jpg.dc8ac0d677a50cc0ddacd2be0179b2e8.jpg

2 hours ago, CodyMaverick said:

After being notified, I asked if that was the only issue and were they okay with the fact the the loops were mounted slanted at an angle.  The answer back from PWB was that it is also illegal because it was "not of traditional design".

"Traditional" according to what?

Interesting slant on things :)

I guess they think they need to put a stop to the race. 

Have we heard anything  from the ROC on the angled cartridge loops for pistol and rifle reloads?   I know of several shooters, myself included,  who's belts have reloads like this.  It would be nice to have confirmation since a clarification was put out there.  I know shooters would like to correct errors if they are there before they get to a major match.

WK

6 hours ago, Whiskey_Kid said:

Have we heard anything  from the ROC on the angled cartridge loops for pistol and rifle reloads?   I know of several shooters, myself included,  who's belts have reloads like this.  It would be nice to have confirmation since a clarification was put out there.  I know shooters would like to correct errors if they are there before they get to a major match.

WK

Hi Kid,

To my knowledge we (TGs) have not seen a clarification. Where was one seen and who posted it?

As an Administrator, I have access to all forums and have not seen a clarification on any of the Private Forums.

I will write PWB.

Regards,

Allie

Hi Folks,

I just heard back from PWB. We should hear something after the Holidays and everyone on the ROC gets things squared away.

PW is no longer replying to Facebook rule questions. If you want an answer, post your question on the Wire and/or TG Forum.

Thank you,

Allie

mine slope out a bit because of the belt molding to my body , im not seeing the forward/rearward slant point exactly , but then i dont encounter a lot of reload stages at the matches ive attended , 

On 12/26/2017 at 7:04 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Kid,

To my knowledge we (TGs) have not seen a clarification. Where was one seen and who posted it?

As an Administrator, I have access to all forums and have not seen a clarification on any of the Private Forums.

I will write PWB.

Regards,

Allie

Thank you Allie!  As a TG here in Central Texas I have several shooters concerned about this myself included.  They are traveling to WR and don’t want to be hung on a technicality.  I think all of them are using their original rigs they purchased when they began the sport and would prefer not to have to retrain years of muscles memory in weeks, but I feel they want to do the right thing as well.

WK

The point of this thread is the position of the shells angled right or left and not if they are sticking out from the body.

The sticking out from the body is a subject that is 20 years old or better. There was a time when the very competent leather maker Kirkpatrick came out with a "contured" belt that really messed with the range police and there were some who got kinda nasty over it. Seems access was better with the belt B)

If anybody has seen a straight belt :) after worn a year or two and has seen how it has been "contured" by sweat and sun knows of what I speak.  And there are a few out there that are circumferentially challenged and if they stood face on to the targets, a ricochet could set off a shell ;)

There is an excellent leather maker that has been making angled shell holder for years. This reminds me of something that happened a couple years ago. Russ the Carver has sold hundreds of his web canvas belt with scalloped leather loops. I have had two over the 12 years or so I was active in competition. Someone on the range police brought up the point that a strip of leather at the top of the belt held the cartridges out in an illegal position.  Now this was 10-15 years after the belt originated. Seems as if the subject just blew away.

I would think that a rifle/pistol cartridge attached to a gun belt at a slight angle would be OK and not create such a tizzy. I suppose it would be best to clear it up though. 

Randy,

I have replaced several of these angled loops on belts for my customers in the last year.  We were informed by a rules committee member last year that side angled loops were illegal so we did it so there would be no issues at WR.

5 minutes ago, Persimmon Dan, SASS #42428 said:

Randy,

I have replaced several of these angled loops on belts for my customers in the last year.  We were informed by a rules committee member last year that side angled loops were illegal so we did it so there would be no issues at WR.

Dan, thanks, I haven't used them lately anyway so now I guess I just need to loose them.

Thanks again.

Randy

After considerable discussion, the combined WB/ROC has come to a final decision regarding the question as to the legality of "angled cartridge loops" on gun/ammo belts and slides:

Laterally-angled cartridge loops on belts and ammo slides are LEGAL and ALLOWED for SASS competition use.
This ruling rescinds all previous rulings and opinions.

39 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

After considerable discussion, the combined WB/ROC has come to a final decision regarding the question as to the legality of "angled cartridge loops" on gun/ammo belts and slides:

Laterally-angled cartridge loops on belts and ammo slides are LEGAL and ALLOWED for SASS competition use.
This ruling rescinds all previous rulings and opinions.

Thanks PaleWolf, I guess I can keep mine now.

Randy

Archived