SASS Wire Forum

Cartridge loops

Red Cent

I just read something on Facebook. Cartridge loops have to be vertical. Slanted cartridge loops are illegal.

I wear a bandolier so I cant give you a straight answer :P

Rooster 

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said it first “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet “! 

I dont think the rule book requires vertical vs canted loops. Does not allow loops to be canted out. I’ve only seen one rig with rifle reloads great were canted. Looked nice, did not really look to be any big advantage. 

I have seen at least one shotshell belt with angled loops    GW         Not saying it right, just seen.

according to a member of the ROC they must be vertical,,, 

32 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

according to a member of the ROC they must be vertical,,, 

I saw that FB thread too.  I think the ruling was that the slanted loops on a horizontal belt would not be authentic, because they were always perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the gun belt or cartridge belt.  On a bandolier, I think the loops would also need to be perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bandolier.  But I don't know for sure.

I was wondering what kind of cartridge loops would really be authentic.  Cartridge belts were introduced at some point in the 19th century according to one source, but when did cartridge loops on Gunbelts begin to appear?  Slides?  I think one commentor said that such loops are post 1900, but maybe I misunderstood.

From facebook

?multi_permalinks=10154814182096537&notiFacebook SASS

Legal or not legal, they, the cartridge loops, are flat on belt. I have conflicting advice from shooters I respect and trust so I'm not clear on the ruling

No automatic alt text available.

Lar Fitzgerald For those coming in late;
From rules committee this morning. Posted not to argue but to pass on info so we know what is allowed, now I know definitively

"Our job is to interpret the rules as written and when needed tweak and assist in writing new rules as they come along. The committee spent a considerable amount of time on this very issue. The clarification was made that loops sewn on a angle do not fall under the definition of "traditional design" as stated in the handbook.. The info was released at the last SASS Summit and TG's were supposed to disperse info accordingly. Loops sewn on a angle are not legal for SASS use. Part of my job is to help educate SASS membership on current rules. After seeing the loops I thought you should have the knowledge. But if the loops are used at a SASS match event officials will have to make a call on it, and that makes one of the toughest jobs in the game even tougher."
That clears it up and I know my answer, thank you for the clarification.

I would object STRENUOUSLY to us  even considering relying on Facebook for Rules explanations.  That is NOT one of the official channels for distributing official rules interpretations, and some organizations do not allow Facebook to even be read within their networks.

Too many channels for communications means that there are too many places for all of us to have to check to see if REALITY is being "ruled differently" depending upon what communications channel you have read.

Good luck, GJ

I believe, yes I may be wrong, but I believe the rules say if a shotgun slide is used on your gun belt or shotgun belt it can not project out away from the body. It must be vertical????!!!!!!

For some they were cutting the shotgun belts in a way that the loops were vertical but when the belt was put on it caused the shells to project away from the body. And for us fat guys it happens anyway!

Ike

11 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

From the shooters handbook;

'Shotgun Ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt)'.

So vertical

Ike

To me, this means that they don't tilt out down range, but does not say they can't tilt towards the loading/unloading table.

Totes

I would really like a clarification as I will need to send my 6 year old SG belt off for modification.  I cleared this with Black Jack Zack and PWB prior to WR 2016, but with the scutlebutt on facebook, why not clear it up here.

Is this legal?  It is my original SG Belt from when I started.  

Thanks,

Whiskey Kid

38124108525_bcf149d3be_o.jpg

IF what facebook had is correct, I'm sure we will hear about it pretty soon.

I know that for many years, folks have been using some 3 loop cartridge with one angled about - 30 degrees, one straight up and another angled +30 degrees. (I thought about getting one after my set up got a little too lose, but I prefer my shells straight up anyway.)

So, if true,  this could have an impact for some folks.

3 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Me too.

All I know is he is a leather maker.  I think he's in Deuce's neck of the woods.

WK

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

From the shooters handbook;

'Shotgun Ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt)'.

So vertical

Ike

Yep says they must be vertical but that is to the BELT. I have never seen anyone with a shotgun belt on that the shells did not tilt away from the body just like their belt.

kR

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I would object STRENUOUSLY to us  even considering relying on Facebook for Rules explanations.  That is NOT one of the official channels for distributing official rules interpretations,

Too many channels for communications

Good luck, GJ

Yep, that's why I'll wait for the blue ink;)......Good Luck:)

The tilting shotgun shells have been a problem for years. Some of the circumferentially challenged shooters cannot fix it :) 

But this latest twist says you cannot lean a bullet by making a loop leaning left or right. Those bullets must stand straight up/vertical. Nothing to do about leaning out. 

I quit making the folded leather shotgun belt. Between the gear and costume police, ain't worth it.

Best one yet.

IMG_0700.JPG

11 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I would object STRENUOUSLY to us  even considering relying on Facebook for Rules explanations.  That is NOT one of the official channels for distributing official rules interpretations, and some organizations do not allow Facebook to even be read within their networks.

Too many channels for communications means that there are too many places for all of us to have to check to see if REALITY is being "ruled differently" depending upon what communications channel you have read.

Good luck, GJ

The official channel would have been the TGs who apparently discussed it at the last summit bringing it back and informing those of us not privy to that meeting. Too bad that doesn’t seem to have happened. FWIW, nobody on FB made a ruling, he posted a response that he got from the ROC. 

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

FWIW, nobody on FB made a ruling,

No one claimed that the FB posting was a "ruling being made."  Clearly, I called it a " rules explanation."   Making it just a "second retelling" of what some unnamed person, supposedly from ROC, said in part of a meeting where apparently few of the TGs were even present. 

I agree - if this was a new rule interpretation at the 2017 EOT TG meeting, this should have been provided to all clubs by their TGs a long time ago.

One heck of a poor way to communicate. 

Good luck, GJ

14 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Perhaps Wikipedia would be a better source...

16 minutes ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

Perhaps Wikipedia would be a better source...

Yet another channel of unverified comms - no thanks.   :lol:

Next thing you know someone will be arguing about carrying a round upside down in a loop! :)

It wasn't traditional you know.

Or cartridge loops on boots.....

I have seen loops on spur straps....................

8 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Or cartridge loops on boots.....

I have seen loops on spur straps....................

While quite attractive, I'm sure, they're not legal to use for loading/reloading during a stage.

Ammunition required for loading/reloading during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooters person, in a bandoleer, cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, pocket, or be safely staged as required by stage instructions.

Archived