SASS Wire Forum

SPF

Jefro, SASS#69420

Marlin 1894S (JM) Micro-Groove 44-40 excellent condition. I've only shot it twice, less than 100 rounds. I bought this unfired several years ago with the plan to change out the barrel cause I shoot mostly BP. And I pour my own .429 for the Uberti, I didn't want to have two lube sizing dies, the Marlin and Win prefer .427-.428.  The Micro-Groove is designed to shoot jacketed bullets, however a lot have been used with hard cast lead bullets. IIRC they made less than 300 of these in 44/40, this is # 207. To learn more about the Micro-Groove barrel look here; http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm

I had it sent straight to Cody for action work and springs, and he put a brass insert in the front sight. It can be put back to original for about $30 with the front blade and hood from Brownells or several other vendors. Beautiful wood with factory recoil pad and sling studs.

It looks almost new except for a couple of blemishes. The feller that had it went to clean it without making sure he knew what to do. He removed the lever and bolt to clean it, but when he put the bolt back in he didn't realize the bolt could shut tight. Instead of using a rod to push the bolt back he thought he could ease it open with a little knife. Well the bolt opened, you can see what the knife did, that a few light freckles in front of the rear sight are the only marks on it. This didn't bother me cause I had a smith that could fix it when he changed out the barrel. This is the same frame-bolt for .45 also if you wanted to change barrels. I never got around to it and now have my eye on something else. Sold to the 1st "I'll Take It" posted here. ...Shipped and Insured to your FFL  $775.00. Reduced $700 $690 $625

Heather's Gunz 045.jpg

Heather's Gunz 046.jpg

Heather's Gunz 004.jpg

Heather's Gunz 048.jpg

Heather's Gunz 050.jpg

Heather's Gunz 053.jpg

Heather's Gunz 054.jpg

Heather's Gunz 056.jpg

Heather's Gunz 057.jpg

Heather's Gunz 062.jpg

Heather's Gunz 063.jpg

$775 shipped/insured is a great price - I'm surprised it's still here. Christmas, I guess.

What makes this different than a pre-safety 1894 .44-40?

From what I can find on the Marlin board, they were a special run for Jerry's Sport Shop with serial numbers starting with 4440, and one of the resident experts there says 891 were made while another one says 925. Others say, "Around 900", so that would fit, either way. Who knows - production numbers of these special runs are sometimes hard to pin down.

On 12/12/2017 at 3:20 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

$775 shipped/insured is a great price - I'm surprised it's still here. Christmas, I guess.

What makes this different than a pre-safety 1894 .44-40?

From what I can find on the Marlin board, they were a special run for Jerry's Sport Shop with serial numbers starting with 4440, and one of the resident experts there says 891 were made while another one says 925. Others say, "Around 900", so that would fit, either way. Who knows - production numbers of these special runs are sometimes hard to pin down.

Thanks, I paid $750 for it before the JM craze, then had Cody do the action and springs for $120. Heather starting shooting BP also so we use one set of 38 guns for that. I never did get aroundtuit to replace the barrel. Feller I bought it from said sumpin like 289, I can't remember......hmm:unsure: maybe it was 982;)  Good Luck:)

Jefro:ph34r:

On 12/13/2017 at 5:10 PM, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

Why do these deals come up around Christmas time when your funds are already low from other toys?

I know yer hiding folding money in your boot:unsure: Reduced one more time for you;) $700

Good Luck:)

1 hour ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

I know yer hiding folding money in your boot:unsure: Reduced one more time for you;) $700

Good Luck:)

WOW!!  That is a great deal!

1 hour ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Reduced one more time for you ;) $700

Good Luck :)

:blink:
I paid $705 each, delivered, for two '75/'76 vintage .44-40's three years ago, and thought it was a screamin' deal then!

On 12/15/2017 at 11:37 PM, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

How do I get it in the door without the boss knowing is the problem.  What a deal!

Walk in backwards slowly:huh:...................she'll look up just enough to think you are going out;) Reduced $625

On 12/9/2017 at 5:38 PM, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Shipped and Insured to your FFL  $775.00. Reduced $700 $690 $625

:blink:

But... but... I already have two...

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the rifle from the ffl and it looks better than the pictures. The little blemish on the front of the bolt is almost not noticeable. I had to stop at the range on the way home and shoot it. Functions and shoots fine. Nice rifle.

Thank you Jefro.

kR

Archived