SASS Wire Forum

Trigger Pull Weights for one-handed shooting?

Sgt. Saywut

I was wondering what you folks prefer in the way of trigger pull weights for your SA revolvers when you’re shooting one-handed in a match.   I’ve gone as low as 3 lbs in my AR’s, but that’s two-handed, and I think that’s about as light as I’d want to go.  In an SA revolver, one-handed...?

I don't have a gauge but I will say that mine are as light as I could make them. I also put low/wide hammers on to make cocking easier. The easier it is to operate the better. That said, if you're not having trouble with your triggers now then I wouldn't worry about them. A lighter hammer is better than a lighter trigger.

Shooting gunfighter I cock one gun at the same time I'm shooting the other. At three lbs. I would get one or two AD.s a match. At three and a half lbs., no problem. When shooting two handed, it doesn't really matter, I slip hammer.

None of the guns we shoot have a trigger pull heavy enough to mess me up - I can accomplish that all on my own.  :huh:  When I had Smoke Wagons, I changed out the trigger/bolt springs for Wolffe's wire springs, but left the mainsprings standard because I do not ever want to have to care about getting the "right" kind of primer in order to shoot reliably.  Now that I've gone back to Frontiersman, I installed wire trigger/bolt springs and leave the mainspring standard and that combined with Slix-Shot nipples has (so far) eliminated cap-sucking.  Why tempt fate when what I have is working so well?

As a duelist I like Revolver trigger pull about 3.5 to 4 pounds.   (And about 4 for a 1911.)  We shoot fast, so if the pull is crisp (allowing you to know that you have a repeatable amount of travel before let-off) then pull weight is not very critical.  Although some folks can shoot two-handed with sub one-pound pulls, it seems us one handed holders need a little more than that to prevent ADs.

Good luck, GJ

11 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I’m an oddball. My triggers are under 1 lb. about 14 oz. And yes, I’ve spent significant time shooting GF. 

Does not sound so odd to me Doc.  I like around 2 lb or tad under also.

Archived