SASS Wire Forum

Double Jeopardy - Shooting Two Categories

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Being the inquisitive one, and since this question hasn't appeared to have been raised on the WIRE before, 

Howdy Kit, Oh it's been on the wire before, what are here page 2:huh:, I've seen go double that;)....Good Luck:)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to try some other shooting styles keep in mind that the age based categories allow all shooting styles except Gunfighter.  For example, if I elect to shoot in the 49’er category at my local club, I can shoot one stage using a support hand while shooting my revolvers, shoot the next stage Duelist, and the next Double Duelist.  All without signing up twice or even having to ask permission.  Many people assume that “supported” shooting is required in the age based categories.  It is not-it is one of three allowed shooting styles.

Our club is actually going to be offering an "Iron Cowboy" category at our next match, with each stage shot in a different style: Gunfighter, Dualist, Traditional, Buckaroo, Outlaw, and Wild Bunch

Sounds like at least a tiny bit of fun (just to do something a little different).

Brainchild of @Totes Magoats

1 hour ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Howdy Kit, Oh it's been on the wire before, what are here page 2:huh:, I've seen go double that;)....Good Luck:)

Jefro:

Thank you for the reminder. I forgot to do my due diligence in thoroughly vetting the SASS WIRE. :blush:

I did find the following from back in 2012, and in the THREAD, Cheyenne Culpepper mentioned it was also addressed about 2 years earlier than this one (which I could not find). :ph34r:

5a3035241da6b_ShootingTwiceintheSameMatch-2012Thread.JPG.54c6189c7909194b0d0ef3e079f3ec96.JPG

Surprisingly, after reading all the posts that were made, the majority were in favor of allowing it at the local level assuming certain conditions were met.

Surprisingly, as I mentioned above, Cheyenne Culpepper reiterated back then what he stated here recently in this THREAD, and that was that he was capable and allowed to shoot two categories in his local club matches.

If you are interested in seeing what Cowboys said some 5 years ago about this same topic, send me a PM and I will provide you with the link.*

* NOTE: I am not posting the THREAD link as it contains posts from two Banned Users, and a back-and-forth between one of them and a current member that escalated out of control.

On 12/10/2017 at 7:33 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Yusta B.,

Would shooting two categories still be fine if the second is Double Duelist?

If you wanna try double duelist you don't need to change categories.  DD shooting style is allowed in every category. 

I remember asking about shooting twice when I was new.  I'm pretty sure the answer was "sure, but we advise against it"  Right now I can't imagine having the energy to do that.  I'm usually wore out after 6 stages.  

at the Georgia state shoot some years ago,,, 5 on sat and 5 on sunday,  there was a forcast of 100% rain for sunday, hard rain,, we voted to shoot all ten on sat,,,, that was a long day,,,  next time I'll take off my holsters for that after I shoot each stage.

22 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

at the Georgia state shoot some years ago,,, 5 on sat and 5 on sunday,  there was a forcast of 100% rain for sunday, hard rain,, we voted to shoot all ten on sat,,,, that was a long day,,,  next time I'll take off my holsters for that after I shoot each stage.

Yep - we did that at Hill City one year because of projected 60 mph winds & rain on the second day. That was the longest day of my life, shot Frontiersman ..........

The answer is to drop the absurd rule that Gunfighter has to be a separate category. I am a Grand Patron and shoot Gunfighter style. I only shoot where that is allowed. The prohibition of using Gunfighter in other categories goes all of the way back to SASS roots in gun contrl California and should be discontinued.

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I woulda voted to get wet. 

we were all soooo glad we voted they way we did,,,, sunday was miserable,  much better to sit under cover visiting

Archived