SASS Wire Forum

Double Jeopardy - Shooting Two Categories

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I currently shoot in the Silver Senior category and with all the discussions on the WIRE about shooting Gunfighter I am intrigued. :P

I want to continue my progress as a new shooter in my category and work on improving, and I'm not necessarily interested in changing categories; however, I would like to shoot Gunfighter in the same local club match.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, are there any suggestions to make the transition during a single match between Silver Senior and would it be Silver Senior Gunfighter, or just Gunfighter?

Also, does your local club require a separate Alias to shoot the two different categories? Does SASS require a separate Alias to do this?

Does your local club charge you double for shooting same scenario?

Would I have any issues with equipment? (I shoot New Model Ruger Vaqueros - Henry Big Boy Silver 38/357 - Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme 12 ga.)

Should I avoid even trying this as a new shooter? :ph34r:

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to the responses.

Signed....5915e6ec15ead_GunfighterResized.jpg.c7e7aa326d526c4e6bdca97697c6c5d1.jpg    Gunfighter wanna be.:blush:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this would be up to your local club, specifically the match director. I can see it at a monthly, but not a state or higher match. Maybe at a yearly, if your yearly is run more for fun than for sport (which, again, depends largely on the club.)

You are doubling your time on the stage, so that could be a concern. If there are a large number of shooters, they might prefer to get everyone through as quickly as possible. If there are a small number of shooters, they might prefer not to have to wait on you to reload. If this were to preclude you from working the stage (spotting/shagging brass/watching loading or unloading table) there might be some hurt feelings.

As far as shooting under a different alias, I'd probably just tag one of you as GF on the end of your existing one.

There might be contingencies related to awards, if your club offers such things. They might rule that they only take your best score, or your worst score, or the one you declare as main score at the beginning. Again, up to the club.

If it were me, I'd just ask. At worst, you're told no, and you get to pick one category - no harm done.

Years ago one club I shot with would allow this but the person would have to shoot the stage in one category then go back through and shoot in the other. 

This thing was short lived though because of complaints...like;

- Why does he get to have more fun than we do? :D

- Does he get awards in both if he wins?

- This should be against the rules.

- He isn’t working enough...

There were lots a various complaints.

I wanted to do something like that but what I did was shot with one club as a Duelist and another club  as a Gunfighter. On different days, of course.

I was terrible at Gunfighter...now I am a Pistolero. :D

Now, I wish I had the time to shoot with 2 different clubs...

The only place I know of that this is allowed is a Coming at Cha. They run three flights of shooters a day for 3 days.  There you can shoot one category in one flight and a different one in another. Costs you an additional $35.

8 stages a day for three days and my butt would be seriously dragging.

Some clubs have a category where you shoot gunfighter on two stages                                                                                                                                                                                       2 handed on two stages, and duelist on two stages.

1 minute ago, Dirt Hill Bill said:

Some clubs have a category where you shoot gunfighter on two stages                                                                                                                                                                                       2 handed on two stages, and duelist on two stages.

Now that would be a challenge!  It would push folks out of their comfort zones, and perhaps even up the playing field.  Certainly would be fun to see. 

Sign up for Gunfighter and if you don't like it through all stages shoot Double Duelist, still legal as Gunfighter.

Trying to shoot twice on a small posse can irritate the ones who are doing all the work while you are only shooting.

Randy

I’ve seen shooters shoot the stage cowboy and change leather and guns and shoot it WB or Pike as they call it, I’ve never seen anyone shoot a match two different cowboy classifications though. Seems like you have to pay a double entry fee to shoot it twice also.

Personally, I think as a NEW shooter you should get some time under your belt as a Silver Senior.

Gunfighter requires a pistol in each hand which takes some practice to learn.

You would be better served shooting as a Silver Senior Duelist and getting comfortable with a gun in each hand.

Double jeopardy is correct.

We in New England know a pard who did just that at our Regional.  As he was very closely connected with the match, he shot on Wednesday with all the other folks working the match.  This was a 12 stage match.  So, he shot 24 stages on a day - one day - hotter than Hades and humid. 

He had an incident that brought on a MDQ in one persona.

This was an interesting situation.  Was the MDQ for just one shooter or both?  We ended up having a mock trial and I frankly forget the outcome.  But if I remember correctly he was MDQ'd as both shooters.

My suggestion?  Shoot Double Duelist for some matches until you get comfortable shooting pistols with both hands.  Then set a date.  For me that was January 1st.  From that point on I was shooting Gunfighter.  Good, Bad, or Ugly.

I do it often at two different  clubs I shoot at in Ohio

only the first run is for score,,,  I pay twice,,,  I work as hard as anyone else on the posse,,,,   if I mdq then I am done for the day...

some used to complain I didn't work hard enough,  UNTIL they  shot with me,,,,    it is up to the md at each club,,,,  and both of those clubs only charge $10 to shoot.....

sometimes I shoot different rifles or shotguns and  or pistols..  all depends,,,,, 

I don't even try to do it at big shoots,,, that is annuals and above

We tried allowing it at our club.  I'm guessing it was at least 5 years ago.  However, for the same reasons as stated about, it was a failed experiment.

For clarification: The shooter(s) did pay twice.  We added a suffix to the alias for the second category like GF or D, etc.  The shooter(s) did state that it was somewhat exhausting.

For the posse: We were pretty much down a worker unless the posse was large.  There was a just a little bit of grumbling but not really that much to note.  However, we did stress that the shooter would have to shoot pretty much first and then get back in line to shoot again ASAP in order to be able to do their fair share of work.

That's the gist of it.  We only allowed it at monthly matches and it pretty much faded away on it's own.  Currently, our attendance is much lower thatn it was back then.  Posses are smaller and I doubt we would allow it under those circumstances.

if it cost $10 or $12 or $15 to shoot a monthly at any given club why would anyone have a problem with somebody shooting twice in two separate categories ( other than by nature some people just have to complain about any damn thing) if they just paid twice the entry fee? Anyone could do it. Keeps everything simple and fair. You might even be able to quantify that as twice the fun for twice the price.

If you want to IMAGINE all the unintended consequences of some activity just take it a step or two further.

What if you shot 3 or even 4 categories?????

What if everyone on the posse shot two categories?

40 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

if it cost $10 or $12 or $15 to shoot a monthly at any given club why would anyone have a problem with somebody shooting twice in two separate categories ( other than by nature some people just have to complain about any damn thing) if they just paid twice the entry fee? Anyone could do it. Keeps everything simple and fair. You might even be able to quantify that as twice the fun for twice the price.

I like to think I pull my weight when I shoot with the Pistoleros. Even my wife, who doesn't shoot, picks up brass, while I spot the shooters.(double duty)

If I shoot twice, I would have no objection to paying twice, and if my wife picks up brass the second time I shoot, then the work load isn't diminished.

Seems to me it's just one more shooter on a Posse.

For example, if another shooter joined the Posse, he is unable to perform Posse duties while shooting, whereas I would have a sub filling in for me.

For what it’s worth, you can always shoot a stage gunfighter and take your P. At most places I’ve shot at, local matches allow you to shoot pretty much whatever you want. Some call it a mix and match category. Most locals allow all kinds of other stuff like Josey Wales, etc. this is, after all, an entertainment game. 

At the regular one day monthly matches two for sure and possibly all four of our local clubs offer an unofficial category they term as "Wild West"  WW for short.  In that category you can shoot any stage with any SASS legal firearms and use any SASS legal style.  I have only seen a few sign up for that.

The match directors are pretty accommodating and would probably let you shoot however you wanted for no award but you might get some bonus time added to your score.;)

As for paying twice and shooting twice, that would probably be okay if it was just one or two shooters on occasion but if that became the norm then I would expect quite a few of our shooters would do it and then there would be complaints from the others about the matches taking too long.  I've never asked but I'm reasonably sure our match directors would say no to that.

Good Luck with your gunfighter quest, try it you'll like it!  But, Please practice up a bit with it first and don't just show up one weekend, pull both pistols and commence scaring the heck out of everyone. :o

5 hours ago, Dirt Hill Bill said:

5 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Now that would be a challenge!  It would push folks out of their comfort zones, and perhaps even up the playing field.  Certainly would be fun to see. 

This is a lot of fun and was originally started a a couple of clubs to get people introduced to at least trying different styles.  It was a hoot watching shooters that had shot duellist for years struggle with shooting two handed. All us new Gunfighters sure were interesting the first couple of matches but we did get better.

Because of trying this I started shooting duellist a lot. Now that I am a Pistolero Duellist is all I shoot.

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Have seen this done multiple times in this area at monthly matches. The end result is.... Happy shooter and plump club money bag :lol:

3 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Have seen this done multiple times in this area at monthly matches. The end result is.... Happy shooter and plump club money bag :lol:

Seems like a logical win-win relationship.

:D

I would suggest you shoot 5 or 6 matches double duelist before attempting to tackle gunfighter.

6 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

For what it’s worth, you can always shoot a stage gunfighter and take your P...

Second stage you do it is a SDQ, and third time is MDQ.

I would suggest that anyone wishing to try gunfighter should do a lot of dry fire practice first to be sure you can handle the guns properly/safely, keeping full control, particularly with the weak hand.  I have recommended this since the time a number of years ago that a cowboy shooter was practicing gunfighter style at a range (not a match) and lost control of one gun and killed himself.   Even shooting double duelist can be dangerous for that reason, so some practice with no ammo to verify your control, particularly with the weak hand, might be advised here as well.

Well,

I know of one fellow who seldom had the opportunity to attend matches that would shoot two categories to double his enjoyment. I don't recall it ever creating a problem for a posse.

We occasionally shoot a category, "Gunsharp", at the Oak Ridge Outlaws. Each stage is shot in a different style and is predetermined prior to the match. Gunsharp shooters shoot Duelist, Double-Duelist, Traditional, Gunfighter & Outlaw. I suppose if we shoot six stages we could include Josey Wales. It's a hoot but not for everyone. 

Hasta Luego, Keystone

13 hours ago, CodyMaverick said:

Good Luck with your gunfighter quest, try it you'll like it!  But, Please practice up a bit with it first and don't just show up one weekend, pull both pistols and commence scaring the heck out of everyone. :o

5977396f25942_FrightenedScreaming-Emoji-RESIZED.jpg.d96690483aa26cd376b7bf2a1a2d763c.jpg5964c49c3629b_Laugh-BellyLaugh-Smaller.jpg.96058f2be0b755cd0cb9a13c999c5260.jpg

9 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

I would suggest you shoot 5 or 6 matches double duelist before attempting to tackle gunfighter.

Yusta B.,

Would shooting two categories still be fine if the second is Double Duelist?

I'm all for promoting gf. It's all I've ever shot. Except for 2 matches due to injuries.    The thing is shooting double duelist is not like shooting gf. There is no way to get better at shooting gunfighter than to actually shoot gunfighter.   You have totally different ways to approach a stage layout and transitions are completely different.  

If your club allows it go for shooting twice.  

Do your best with posse chores and don't look back.   From my experience the ones that complain the most about people not helping out enough generally are the ones only doing a token amount or none at all. 

We've all been there doing double duty with brass picking and spotting or TO or resetting targets.  If your ever up this way and want to do it.  Pick my posse and I'll cover any slack if there is any.  

Once you go gf. You'll never look back!

7 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Second stage you do it is a SDQ, and third time is MDQ.

I would suggest that anyone wishing to try gunfighter should do a lot of dry fire practice first to be sure you can handle the guns properly/safely, keeping full control, particularly with the weak hand.  I have recommended this since the time a number of years ago that a cowboy shooter was practicing gunfighter style at a range (not a match) and lost control of one gun and killed himself.   Even shooting double duelist can be dangerous for that reason, so some practice with no ammo to verify your control, particularly with the weak hand, might be advised here as well.

Abilene,

Great advice.

I would always practice any shooting style first; however, your mentioning it here is the best way to get this warning out to others who may be considering a shooting style they are not familiar with.

2 hours ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

We occasionally shoot a category, "Gunsharp", at the Oak Ridge Outlaws. Each stage is shot in a different style and is predetermined prior to the match. Gunsharp shooters shoot Duelist, Double-Duelist, Traditional, Gunfighter & Outlaw. I suppose if we shoot six stages we could include Josey Wales. It's a hoot but not for everyone. 

Hasta Luego, Keystone

We do the same thing at our last shoot of the year, We call it Open Range and if you shoot the different Cats. you are a Free Grazer. The year I added an optional Josey Wales stage. About 1/4-1/3 of the shooters sign up.

11 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I'm all for promoting gf. It's all I've ever shot. Except for 2 matches due to injuries.    The thing is shooting double duelist is not like shooting gf. There is no way to get better at shooting gunfighter than to actually shoot gunfighter.   You have totally different ways to approach a stage layout and transitions are completely different.  

If your club allows it go for shooting twice.  

Do your best with posse chores and don't look back.   From my experience the ones that complain the most about people not helping out enough generally are the ones only doing a token amount or none at all. 

We've all been there doing double duty with brass picking and spotting or TO or resetting targets.  If your ever up this way and want to do it. Pick my posse and I'll cover any slack if there is any.

Once you go gf. You'll never look back!

evil dogooder,

AWESOME.

Now that's 5a2a92fccc9e7_TheCowboyWay-RESIZED.jpg.0fa7076e38ead4d2f16ffc2709bd5b11.jpg.

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Yusta B.,

Would shooting two categories still be fine if the second is Double Duelist?

Speaking for myself - I wouldn't want to be starting a new/different way to shoot and shooting twice as many stages and switching back and forth between two shooting styles.

9 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Speaking for myself - I wouldn't want to be starting a new/different way to shoot and shooting twice as many stages and switching back and forth between two shooting styles.

Yep. Keeping them straight could be an issue.

when I first did it, they counted the second time as an official score,,, but,,, I came in twice in the top ten, and that was cool but it didn't sit right with me,  I knew how much it meant to me to come in the top 10 and always made sure the second time didn't count after that...

I will shoot first or as close as I can to it, and then if I can get back in line quickly, shoot the second time asap,, too often tho there will be a line, so I will wait til the end to shoot again..

at one club, there are five bays and we shoot the first stage twice,   keep your best score,,,  I end up shooting that stage 4 times!  with predetermined chances for official score

I am most appreciative to the clubs that allow me to do this!!

Archived