SASS Wire Forum

Question about Black Powder for Shotguns

Nahiossi

Sent a PM with my load.

Oh yea, my ability to make smoke or shake a rafter or two has never been in question!!:lol:

Nahiossi, 

Well done on getting a good tight crimp!

Sometimes a reloaded hull’s crimp will roll outwards at the leading edge and be a bit larger diameter than the body of the hull.  You will want to use reloads that minimize that, so check your reloaded shells in a gauge, or by dropping them into the gun’s chamber to make sure they go in all the way easily.  Save the good ones for a match, and use the others for practice.

We are eager to hear how they perform for you!

Square load consisting of Schuetzen Fg, 9 gauge Walter's nitro then fiber wads, 9 oz shot topped with an 8 gauge Walter's overshot wad covered with Duco Cement in a brass 10 gauge 3-1/4" hull.

Loud boom, lots of smoke and a ton of fun.

4 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

9 oz shot

Nine ounces of shot? That's more than 1/2 pound!

OOOOPs, Number 9 shot!!!   :-)

A square load with 9 oz shot would send me to the moon!!!   :-)

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Sometimes a reloaded hull’s crimp will roll outwards at the leading edge and be a bit larger diameter than the body of the hull.  

RCBS 12 GA cowboy crimp die does wonders for that problem ( need a 12 ga shell holder too )

7 hours ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

Nahiossi, What wad are you using

I am currently using WAA12 wads that I obtained a part of a job lot of shotgun reloading supplies. 

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Sometimes a reloaded hull’s crimp will roll outwards at the leading edge and be a bit larger diameter than the body of the hull.  You will want to use reloads that minimize that, so check your reloaded shells in a gauge, or by dropping them into the gun’s chamber to make sure they go in all the way easily.  Save the good ones for a match, and use the others for practice.

We are eager to hear how they perform for you!

Good point! I will make sure to drop test them all. I don't have the RCBS die but the last stage on my MEC Grabber is might be able to improve the taper of the finished shell (if required). 

Does anyone use the Hornady 366?  I so, can black powder used in it's powder dispenser??

• 3 weeks later...

Range Report time :)

Last weekend was my monthly shoot with the Territory Regulators so it was the perfect opportunity to test out my black powder shells. It was a small posse of five, three shooting Wild Bunch and the rest Cowboy. As luck would have it, I was the first to head to the firing line. I got off to a less than auspicious start by drawing a procedural and a miss on the pistol section. I did ok with the rifle )picked up another two misses) and then it was on to the shotgun.

Let me just preface this next bit with the following statement - I have never used a black powder load in a cowboy match.

I cracked open the barrels and dropped two shells into the chamber; drawing the gun up to my shoulder, I placed the bead on my first target and pulled the trigger. Flames flew from the muzzle and a tremendous cloud of white, sulphurous smoke engulfed everything! However I couldn't stop and gawk as I still had three more targets to take care of. After cleaning up the rest of the shotgun targets, I was clear of the stage.  A raw time of 41.04 with three misses and one P gave an adjusted time of 66.04. Not going to be taking home any silverware but you wouldn't have guessed from the stupid grin on my face!

So here are my findings for how the shells performed: 

1. The recoil was very manageable. I would say that using BP felt a little less violent then the AA featherlite shells. 
  2. The fired shells were easy to shuck from the chambers and I had no more issues with them than I do with any other factory shells (probably need to practice my technique more).
  3. I had been advised to pattern the shells before using them but I didn't have the opportunity to do so.  However, when I did my part right, the shot pattern took out the knockdown targets with no drama. Well except for one older target that lent a little bit more forward then the others. He was a bit more tricky to get to fall over.  
  4. Cleanup when I got home was really easy too. I wanted to try Innox MX-3 (which is my go to firearm cleaning solution) first to see if it would cut through the fouling but it was any use. I then boiled the kettle and poured hot water down the barrels. This worked like a charm and afterwards, all that was needed was to wad up some paper towel and push it through with the cleaning rod and it was sunglasses time!

For my next loads, I will be increasing the powder charge to help with the recalcitrant shotgun targets. I am also going to load half the shells with home made cork wads instead of plastic wads and see if the fouling is lighter. 

All in all, I think the shells performed perfectly and when my BP lubed projectiles arrive at the end of the month, I think my journey to the dark side will be complete.

Well, good on you!  YeeeHaaa!

If the range is the only place you can shoot,  you should have taken some cardboard and patterned the loads while you were there and already had the gun fouled up.  Or ask if you could blast a couple of handgun targets before they were put up.  

I don't know what your charge is but I'd tend to up the shot load before the powder to get more knockdown power. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, Randingo said:

Does anyone use the Hornady 366?  I so, can black powder used in it's powder dispenser??

I load on a 366 and load real BP from it's dispenser.  I find the 366 makes a nicer functioning crimp, due to the adjustability of the press. 

6 hours ago, Nahiossi said:

1. The recoil was very manageable. I would say that using BP felt a little less violent then the AA featherlite shells

All in all, I think the shells performed perfectly and when my BP lubed projectiles arrive at the end of the month, I think my journey to the dark side will be complete.

Excellent - I'm glad to see we have another convert to the One True Powder! 

Every time I see a post about "What's a nice, soft load for my wife/child/grandma/sore shoulder/etc.," I always post that they should try black powder.  I am always polite and as pleasant as possible because I don't want to alienate those pitiful creatures still using heathen powder, but I'm usually ignored because they have been convinced by people that are too lazy to clean their guns that it's a difficult task to clean back powder residue.  You now know better!  ;)

Welcome to the Dark Side!  :D

7 hours ago, Nahiossi said:

For my next loads, I will be increasing the powder charge to help with the recalcitrant shotgun targets. I am also going to load half the shells with home made cork wads instead of plastic wads and see if the fouling is lighter.

increase your shot instead of powder.   With more BP you tend to blow holes in your pattern.  That is why you see people mention less than square loads with BP. That is a little bit more shot than powder by volumn   As always it is best to pattern if possible, but feel from experience that increase of powder will lead you astray

Regarding a square load, I expect that most of you have heard the old saw “A pint’s a pound the world around”.  To which my Mom always added, “Said the old woman as she measured the shot.”  That old woman could have gotten herself in a world of trouble if she was reloading!

Seamus

Archived